CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tristar Viper G2 Silver
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All,

I am pretty new to the forum and even newer to the sport of trap. I just wanted to post a review on a shotgun that not many people have heard of:

Tristar Viper G2 Silver Semi-automatic-12 GA - 28"

I read very good reviews by both users in this forum as well as a few publications. The gun is imported by Tristar Sporting Arms and made by the Turkish gun maker Armsan. I actually found over a dozen professional shooting magazine (mostly european) reviews on the gun at Armsan's website (the shotgun is listed as the Armsan A612). The shotgun is apparently imported by quite a few European companies and is much more popular over there than here. Anyhow, with great reviews and a $459.99 price at thegunsource.com, I went ahead and ordered.

The shotgun arrived in about a week at my local FFL. Once I opened the box, I was very pleased by the fit and finish. The gunshop owner had never seen one but commented on how good looking the metal and wood were. The wood grain is beautiful, and the silver model with the alloy receiver is very attractive with the black barrel and Turkish walnut stock. But what is form without function, so I took it to my Tom Lowe shooting grounds in Atlanta to shoot some trap.

Results: Over 1000+ rounds of all types of 12 guage game and target loads, and no malfunctions. Cycles without a hitch for doubles, even using 7/8 ounce loads. I just started shooting trap, but after 1 month, my scores with this Tristar shotgun went from 10-13 hits per round to 19-22 hits (actually got my all time high of 22 today!).

One thing is common about all my outings so far: a ton of people see this gun on the rack and ask what company makes it. They all comment on how great the gun looks and how well it shoots. It is the only silver receiver semi-automatic I have seen at the club.

In addition to the product, Tristar has AMAZING customer service. They have a 5 year warranty on the shotgun and I talked extensively with their staff about all kinds of topics, from what loads to use to how the company was founded. You never have to wait to get hold of someone on the line and everyone there is really nice.

If anyone is looking for a first shotgun, weather for trap and skeet, or hunting, I HIGHLY recommend a Tristar semi-automatic. The synthetic is around $380 shipped, and the wood with standard black receiver is about $415 shipped.

Also, special thanks fot cdb and 2few for helping me initially with trap shooting information. I didn't get a o/u yildiz or huglu, but I think this Tristar is similar in that is was a great deal and has thus far been an extraordinary shotgun both in form and function.

Best,

Jimmy

Post subject: Re: Tristar Viper G2 Silver
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you're going to shoot the heck out of it. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

stalliondawg444 wrote:
Hi All,

I am pretty new to the forum and even newer to the sport of trap. I just wanted to post a review on a shotgun that not many people have heard of:

Tristar Viper G2 Silver Semi-automatic-12 GA - 28"

I read very good reviews by both users in this forum as well as a few publications. The gun is imported by Tristar Sporting Arms and made by the Turkish gun maker Armsan. I actually found over a dozen professional shooting magazine (mostly european) reviews on the gun at Armsan's website (the shotgun is listed as the Armsan A612). The shotgun is apparently imported by quite a few European companies and is much more popular over there than here. Anyhow, with great reviews and a $459.99 price at thegunsource.com, I went ahead and ordered.

The shotgun arrived in about a week at my local FFL. Once I opened the box, I was very pleased by the fit and finish. The gunshop owner had never seen one but commented on how good looking the metal and wood were. The wood grain is beautiful, and the silver model with the alloy receiver is very attractive with the black barrel and Turkish walnut stock. But what is form without function, so I took it to my Tom Lowe shooting grounds in Atlanta to shoot some trap.

Results: Over 1000+ rounds of all types of 12 guage game and target loads, and no malfunctions. Cycles without a hitch for doubles, even using 7/8 ounce loads. I just started shooting trap, but after 1 month, my scores with this Tristar shotgun went from 10-13 hits per round to 19-22 hits (actually got my all time high of 22 today!).

One thing is common about all my outings so far: a ton of people see this gun on the rack and ask what company makes it. They all comment on how great the gun looks and how well it shoots. It is the only silver receiver semi-automatic I have seen at the club.

In addition to the product, Tristar has AMAZING customer service. They have a 5 year warranty on the shotgun and I talked extensively with their staff about all kinds of topics, from what loads to use to how the company was founded. You never have to wait to get hold of someone on the line and everyone there is really nice.

If anyone is looking for a first shotgun, weather for trap and skeet, or hunting, I HIGHLY recommend a Tristar semi-automatic. The synthetic is around $380 shipped, and the wood with standard black receiver is about $415 shipped.

Also, special thanks fot cdb and 2few for helping me initially with trap shooting information. I didn't get a o/u yildiz or huglu, but I think this Tristar is similar in that is was a great deal and has thus far been an extraordinary shotgun both in form and function.

Best,

Jimmy

CONGRATS JIMMY!!!!!! :)W :)W :)W :)W

I'm confident I speak for both cdb and myself when I say we're glad we could help you in your decision!!!!

It's not about what gun you buy.....It's about buying the gun, getting out there and shooting it and having a lot of fun!

And just as an FYI....You're hooked now!!!!! :D :D :D Lots more shotguns in your future! Huglu....Yildiz...Browning...Beretta...and lots more!!!! :D :D :D

:)W :)W :)W CONGRATS on your new shotgun!!!!

Best....2few

But HEY!!!! Image

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Glad you are enjoying your new shotgun. Shooting clays is a kick in the pants. I have just got back to it after 40 years. Finding myself going to the range twice a week now. Even went out and shot three rounds in the pouring rain last Wedesday afternoon. I was the only one shooting. :shock:

Chance...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yup, doing the same thing here. I hadn't shot a gun in 33 years and started shooting again last summer. I don't think I've missed more then 2 open days in the past year. Started with Trap, then went to 5 stand and now I'm shooting skeet every Sat, Sun, and Wed morning.

Lot of fun.