CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best sabot slug for hogs on a rifled barrel 12 ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 am 
Field Grade

My dad retired and moved to west Texas recently where hogs/boars are considered a nuisance, so I'm going to take my buddy out there to take 1 or 5 of them off their hands. They are only allowed to hunt with shotguns out there bc the tracks are sold in 20-25 acre lots. However, rifled barrels are allowed.

I wounded a hog a few weeks ago out there using Remington magnum buckshot- 00 3 inch (15 pellets, 1225 fps) with a 28 inch vr smooth bore barrel and a full choke (I did not get the flight control buckshot-- my bad, but still not sure it woulda worked).

We will be using my 12 ga 870 with a 24 inch mossberg rifled barrel, with a spot light, scope, and green lazer sighted in at 60 yds (Im pretty sure the lazer is legal with hogs in tx, but Im going to call the game warden first and let him know our plan) at night in a blind roughly 60 yds down wind from a watering hole that they like (we're also gonna sour up some corn to bait them in and help cover our scent). So my question is:

WHAT ARE THE BEST SLUGS TO USE IN A 12 GA WITH A RIFLED BARREL?
I want to make sure to get something that has plenty of penetration/knockdown power to penetrate and kill a big hog.

Also, I plan on aiming just under the ear, and I know that sabot slugs are made for rifled barrels.

Also, also, please stay on topic and keep the posts/answers to slug ammo for hogs. If I could use my .243 rifle I would, but it's shotguns only.

Many thanks in advance-- Blake

Post subject: Re: Best sabot slug for hogs on a rifled barrel 12 ga
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 am 
Field Grade

Winchester Supreme XP3 Sabot Slugs

These slugs are absolutely devistating! I have been shot 5 deer with them between 40 and 185 yards. None have ran more than 10 yards after being hit....

I got some great hunting pups hitting the ground at the end of April

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info. I went to cabelas and got the hornady sst 2 3/4 inch, 2000 fps 300 grain and the remington 3 inch premier accutip 1900 fps 385 grain. They were out of the winchesters but I went to the range and sighted in my slug barrel w/ scope and both of those rounds "liked" my gun giving me <2 inch groups at 60-75 yds. I'll probably go with the Remington 3 inchers for more umph to make sure and get through the hogs tough hide and bone structure and tear up some vitals. also got 2 batches of corn started souring with beer, grape soda, strawberry soda and some old diced up fruits and veggies. Goin out there next weekend and it's supposed to be a full moon :)

I'll have to try out those winchesters some other time. Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:33 pm 
Field Grade

Keep the Remingtons for a back up. You'll be very happy with those SST's. The Remington's have more weight, but the wound track for the SST's are about double the Remingtons.

The XP3's and the SST's are hard kickers and pretty flat tragectory too...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

Lizard,
I decided to take your advice and just wanted to say thanks! We got a good broad side shoulder shot at about 60 yds. I'm not certain, but I'm guessing this hog was about 200 lbs. Those hornadys are accurate and penetrated straight through both sides tearing up his lungs. He ran (slowly) about 10 yds and dropped dead.
It was a great trip. We had a lot of fun! Thanks againImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am 
Field Grade

Great looking Hog.... please send bacon!

Glad I could help you out; and obviously the results speak for themselves... Great job!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Hard cast Lyman 525 grain sabot slugs work great on the Hellswine we have in Florida. I never have to worry about penetration, and I can cast and load 50 slugs for what most people pay for 5 premium brand name slugs. Last hog I shot was 182 pounds, and the passthrough on the double lung shot literally blew out the opposite side shoulder as it exited the pig. Only other slugs I have used that caused a larger wound channel were Dixie Slugs Terminators.

ST762