CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Wingmaster, 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I have inherited a rather nice Remington Model 870 "Wingmaster" pump shot gun in very good condition. It has a 28" barrel and a recoil pad. I am not all that familiar with shotguns and I would like to sell it during an upcoming gun show in my home town. Anyone care to help me with its value, that is what I can expect to receive in the way of offers from show vendors? The weapon is in excess of 30 years old. My deceased relative mentioned he had used it a few times. It has not been fired in 28 of its 30 year life. Please help if you can. Thank you. Dave

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254642#ixzz1J30rBjnc

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster, 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Used retail ( w/warranty, etc) would be somewhere between $300-350, but since FFL's are in business to make a profit, I'd be surprised if one would offer you more than $200 for it.

Actually I'd be flabberghasted if an FFL at a gunshow made any offer at all, instead of first asking you what you want for it, then countering with a lower offer (if they're interested).

You'd be MUCH better off by offering it F/S here, in our Classifieds Section - since there is more than a little interest in early Wingmasters in excellent gondition.

Good/clear pics are a must.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:19 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much for your insightful comments.

For some reason, probably a flawed one, I didn't think common folks like us could buy and sell weapons through websites and therefore through the mail. Can you help with this flawed reasoning?

Again, I am very grateful for your comments/ideas.

Post subject: Remington 870 Wingmaster, 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Private individuals can buy and sell guns any time. The hitch is that interstate sales have to go through an FFL, typically a gun shop. You as a private individual negotiate with the buyer. When you come up with a deal, the buyer sends you a cashiers check or a money order. When you receive the money, you send the gun, typically at the buyers expense to his choice of FFL. The FFL receives it and conforms to the laws of that persons state. The FFL typically receives a fee of $20-$60, also paid by the buyer.

So assume your 870 is worth $350. The buyer is going to figure $25 for shipping and another $35 (on average) for the FFL fee. This means the most he's going to pay for the gun is $290.

An face-to-face intrastate transfer is a different story. Two private individuals meet, exchange cash, and the buyer walks away with the gun. (depending on the laws of your state)

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

Bring it to the gun show and stick a for sale sign in the barrel and walk around the gun show,you will
get inquires and you get to see the show.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have had little luck selling guns to the dealers at gun shows. They are there to sell guns, not buy them. If you can find one willing he will offer $150 and put it on his table for $300. However it doesn't hurt to give it a try. You would be better off selling it to an individual at the show for $225.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or you could list it here in the classified section. There are always people looking for Wingmaster's here. Shipping isn't that much of a hassle either.

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

If it were my Wingmaster, I'd post a Classifieds ad on this forum (or elsewhere), with a few clear pics of both sides and a detailed description, including any known defects, for sale @ $350, shipping included.

After you get the MO AND the copy of the receiving FFL if the sale is to another state, pack it up & take it to a US Post Office (it's legal for private persons to mail long guns to FFL's in other states), send it Prioriy Mail, insured.

If you're the nervous sort, if it's sent Registered Mail, transport is surer, but will tke longer, since every person who touches the parcel must sign for it. RM is a little more expensive - figure $40 total.

BTW - there is NO obligation to divulge the contents of the parcel, beyond answering the Postal Clerk's questions about it's flammibility, explosiveness, fragility, etc.
I DO have them mark my parcels as "fragile".

Good luck - the 20 ga is popular.