CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Length of Pull and does it matter?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:24 pm 
Utility Grade

What the title says, I keep reading specs and see LOP or Length of Pull, what does it mean and does it matter/

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
~Psalms 23:1

The only thing worse than being different is being the same
~Dave

Post subject: Re: What is Length of Pull and does it matter?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Distance from the trigger to the center of the butt plate/recoil pad. Does it matter? IMO only if it's too long or too short. Unlike some adjustments/measurements it can have a bit of play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

NSSA just put out a safety video to NSSA clubs and one of the things discussed is stock dimensions. If your club got one see if you can look at it. It has a lot of good info in it. Everyone's LOP will be a little different. What ever feels right.

ED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If your guns LOP is too short, your thumb may/will hit you in the nose every time you pull the trigger, and if too long, you cannot properly mount the gun, and you will notice it feels like you are having to reach out too far to control the gun.

Usually, 1/2 inch either direction from perfect is not a big thing, but more than that is going to be a problem for you.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:13 pm 
Utility Grade

see i'm a short guy, 5'8", but I've shot guns that people who are 6'2 shoot and i actually prefer a longer stock, it's more comfortable to me for some reason

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
~Psalms 23:1

The only thing worse than being different is being the same
~Dave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How we shoot, i.e., shooting form (gun mount, stance, head/neck/body posture) is one of the elements necessary for successful shooting. It has little or nothing to do with visual and mental ability or hand/eye coordination.

There are forms for each shooting discipline (trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc.) that are taught and recommended by coaches and trainers. Are there excellent shooters who do not use the form? Sure there are. Form is but one of the elements that causes limitations to shooting up to ones full potential.

A flawed form is a limitation that is easy to eliminate compared to others, though. One has only to learn a better form and have his or her stock dimensions changed so the form can be used. It is what defines "a gun that fits."

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:57 am 
Tournament Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
If your guns LOP is too short, your thumb may/will hit you in the nose every time you pull the trigger, and if too long, you cannot properly mount the gun, and you will notice it feels like you are having to reach out too far to control the gun.

Usually, 1/2 inch either direction from perfect is not a big thing, but more than that is going to be a problem for you.

DLM

Can you explain the half inch from either direction. I mean is there a measurement from thumb to some point on the gun or shooter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 am 
Field Grade

Stock dimensions are determined by the factory based upon the size and build of what they perceive as the "average" customer. Length of pull is just one of those dimensions. If you fit in that average you will probably do fine with factory stocks. Trouble arises when you are way off the average. If your stock is too short it not only brings your eye close to your thumb, but on a stock with a drop angle it also brings your eye higher on the slope of the stock. My human dimensions are much larger than average and if I mount a gun with an average stock I can't get down far enough on the stock to see the beads right-I actually see most of the rib which would cause me to shoot high. So length of pull is a big deal for me where it might not be for others. If the stock were way too long I guess the opposite would be true. A simple test is to mount the gun with eyes closed then when you open your eyes you should see the beads properly without having to adjust your mount. But, stock fit is complex and the only way to know whether your stock dimensions are "just right" is to be measured and fit by a professional gunfitter.

Chief of Police (Retired)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

remoil wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

Can you explain the half inch from either direction. I mean is there a measurement from thumb to some point on the gun or shooter?

I like to see about an 1 1/2" to 2" from the thumb to the nose...your mileage may vary. For what it's worth (and I can't explain it) a 1/2" up by your nose is not the same as a 1/2" at the butt....so if you think a gun is too long by 1/2" and you cut 1/2" off the butt, you may find out real quick what I am talking about because the gun could now be way too short.

IMO, I'd rather shoot a short gun I can see over, than a long gun that gets my eye behind the action.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mismost wrote:
remoil wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

I like to see about an 1 1/2" to 2" from the thumb to the nose...your mileage may vary. For what it's worth (and I can't explain it) a 1/2" up by your nose is not the same as a 1/2" at the butt....so if you think a gun is too long by 1/2" and you cut 1/2" off the butt, you may find out real quick what I am talking about because the gun could now be way too short.

IMO, I'd rather shoot a short gun I can see over, than a long gun that gets my eye behind the action.

i do agree with the having more around 1.5" from the thumb, you have seen my setup and there is around a 1/2 " or so, and it it feels way to short. good. info.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

D L Marcum wrote:

DLM

Yes it will,. found this out the hard way with a friends short pump 870.. hit me hard enough to make my nose red and my eyes water the 1st double I shot... :shock: