CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High rib or Low rib for skeet...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

currently I'm shooting a low rib 12ga/30" Citori B325 and doing pretty well. Thinking about trying my 12ga/30" Lightning Citori high rib. Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated...

Post subject: Re: High rib or Low rib for skeet...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have XS Special high Rib and love it. But can I tell you that I shoot any better with it,probably not. I do like the feel and looks of it though. Seeing how shooting skeet can be a mental thing maybe it does help me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shot a Citori Special Sporting for a few years. I shot it pretty well, but I had to make myself shoot this gun, if you know what I mean. The bottom barrel shot really high.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is something to be said for being able to keep the bird above your barrel, especially if they get blown down and drop.
It does require learning a new sight picture too.
Some POI patterning might be informative.
I used to shoot my Mobilchoked 682X trap gun for skeet, and that had a fairly high rib.
I did pretty well and the only reason I switched to a DT10 was that I always felt the 682 was a little too heavy in the barrels, and hard to get moving for some shots.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Note of clarification: The height of the rib has no effect on how high guns shoot - how far above a gun's point aim is its point of impact. How high guns shoot is controlled by the height of the shooter's eye relative to the height of the rib. High rib guns also have higher combs and shoot as flat as low rib guns (unless one of the other has a tapered rib that is lower at the muzzle).

High rib guns have one important advantage: their stocks are straighter, which reduces barrel-rise during recoil, which in turn allows getting on second targets a few milliseconds quicker.

They also have a possible drawbacks. Some shooters cannot get used to looking through or around a high rib. Some find that high ribbed guns swing differently and others have difficulty using the front bead rather than the muzzle when creating sight pictures.

For those reasons, it is best to shoot a new high ribbed gun as long as possible before buying it.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Ditto with Rollin Oswald on this one,

If the rib on the gun is too high, you can mentally disconnect with the barrels in skeet when you are staring a hole in the target (why at most you want a mid height rib, and not one anywhere near that of a trap extra height rib).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 am 
Crown Grade

here's the gun I want to try on skeet. Rib is moderately high, not like a trap gun...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
Note of clarification: The height of the rib has no effect on how high guns shoot - how far above a gun's point aim is its point of impact. How high guns shoot is controlled by the height of the shooter's eye relative to the height of the rib. High rib guns also have higher combs and shoot as flat as low rib guns (unless one of the other has a tapered rib that is lower at the muzzle).

High rib guns have one important advantage: their stocks are straighter, which reduces barrel-rise during recoil, which in turn allows getting on second targets a few milliseconds quicker.

They also have a possible drawbacks. Some shooters cannot get used to looking through or around a high rib. Some find that high ribbed guns swing differently and others have difficulty using the front bead rather than the muzzle when creating sight pictures.

For those reasons, it is best to shoot a new high ribbed gun as long as possible before buying it.

That is great information. I read all these great post but I gotta tell you, when I get to the range it doesn't matter what gun I use ,I do about the same. The only thing that would bother me is if the LOP was way to short otherwise its always about the same.
Remoil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Browning XS Special, with a low rib I use for skeet. I shoot it just fine. You don't want me shooting at you with it... unless you are H1 or L6. :lol:
I think the high rib looks better than the low rib.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

If you see the rib after you set up............something is wrong.

That said, I like a high rib gun that shoots at least 60/40. Allowing me to keep the bird above the barrel. I'm sure what I do doesn't work for many and I am surely no expert. Hope you work it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

has noting to do with "seeing" the rib. It's set up and being able to lock on with your head up. I see better that way. Hate burying my cheek deep into the stock...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Slugo wrote:
has noting to do with "seeing" the rib. It's set up and being able to lock on with your head up. I see better that way. Hate burying my cheek deep into the stock...

No matter the gun, it should never be set up that you have to bring our head down way tilted forward. There is no way that you can look through your top eye lips/top of your head, and and most, your head should be only slightly tilted down like you are tipping your hat, and your head fore ward with your chin almost the same as your forehead to the target.

If you have your head erect straight up and not forward, it's going to get danced off the stock on the first shot, and now will be fighting the recovery of your head between shoots (read this heads up only works in trap on single targets).

Where the high rib shines in skeet is that with high shooting gun shooters, the front of the rib/bead height is not that much difference that with a low rib, it just that the back of the rib is now up in their Peripheral vision eye line instead (read where looking way over the rib on a low rib gun.

Thumb though your copies of SSR and take a look at LP mounted up in both low rib and high rib guns. His head and body position are no different between the guns, and the only thing that has change is on the high rib gun, the receiver line is now lower and more into the center line of his shoulder instead (produces less felt recoil this way).

And no, you do not want the front of the rib way over the muzzle so you do not pick the barrel muzzle up at all in your Peripheral vision. You have to put a perceived lead on the target by 42", and with the small bead and narrow taper rib alone (not subconsciously seeing the front of the barrel width) it makes it hard for the brain to do the subconscious math (read you just disconnected from the barrel/muzzle).

To see this, use a sewing machine needle, and then a pencil against a light switch across the room. Staring at light switch only, try to get both of them to what your normal leads would be as you shoot skeet with Peripheral vision only on the pencil/needle. The pencil will be quick to get to the lead such since you are just subconsciously multiplying widths of pencil against the lead, while on he sewing needle no so quick since it has not width to speak of, and become more of a spot shooting type thing for reference. Your brain does the same thing on a target on the drive, and although with a high rib the muzzle is slightly lower than before, you are not dropping the muzzle totally out of your Peripheral vision if the gun is set up right/the rib height is right for your shooting style.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 am 
Crown Grade

Dano523, you lost me way back around the bend! My post was geared simply to discuss individual preferences between lo-rib and hi-rib guns. I like brunettes, you like blonds! :)

In my pea-brain mind, shotgun ribs are simply reference points. Lo-rib, keep your head down. Hi-rib, keep your head up and float the target. Pretty simple in my equation, at least I think so...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slugo, you only float the bird if the rib is set up 60/40 or 70/30, not if it's set up 50/50 --- and ribs, high, ultra high or low can be set up as any of those, so it is not the high rib alone that determines sight picture. What you want sounds like a high-rib 60/40 so you CAN shoot with your head more upright AND float the bird. But if the gun you pictured is a high-rib 50/50, you'll want to cover the bird most of the time, or adjust it to 60/40 so you can float...

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

There is nothing inherent in the use of any rib that would cause you to float the bird or not. High rib or low rib, you float the bird or you don't float the bird. It is the shooter's choice, not cause by rib height.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:06 am 
Field Grade

if I float the bird, so to say, with my other 12ga/30" Browning B325, I miss the target most of the time. POA is not the same, at all...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Slugo that is the exact same gun i shoot for clays, the lightning sporting w/ high rib.

if youre not used to it seeing that much rib can mess you up a little bit but once you get used to it it is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 pm 
Limited Edition

The best all around shooting gun for me was a tappered step rib Kolar. As Rolin pointed out. The stock was correctly matched up for this system. It was the last serious target shotgun I owned. I've been working out this 625 and stacking boxes or shooting 23's or 24's. So you can adjust your game. I took two years away from skeet and my reaction time is the only rusty part so far. The pictures are modified slightly for me. So I hope you can give that gun an honest try since you seem excited about it. Hope it works out.
BHN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am 
Field Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
Note of clarification: The height of the rib has no effect on how high guns shoot - how far above a gun's point aim is its point of impact.

Rollin - what if the front bead on a high rib gun is higher in respect to the top barrel, when compared to the front bead of a low rib gun? In this case, the high rib gun will actually shoot lower (if you are "aiming" off the front bead). Basically, raising the front bead will lower POI, if all else is kept the same.

When I see high rib guns, the front bead is high as well, in other words, the rib is higher down the entire length of the barrel. So, I believe these guns actually shoot lower.

BTW, I shoot a high rib XS Special and need to really raise the comb quite a bit to be able to float the bird in skeet. Before raising the comb, everyone (3 people) that shot the gun has said that it was an extremely low shooting gun.

Just my 2 cents.

(Oh, and Rollin - I am not trying to argue. I am a big fan of your efforts to educate shooters on stockfitting! - Keep it up. Your information is very easily understood and easily put into practice.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A flat shooting gun with low rib set to 50/50 shoots to center of the pattern.

Add a 1" tall flat rib to that gun, raise the comb 1" and that gun will still shoot flat, but now 1" LOWER to the center of pattern, simply because the barrels are 1" lower in relation to the sight plane.

Add a taper down toward the front bead and raise your comb so you are lining the beads up, and any gun will shoot HIGHER. Here, 1/8th inch of down taper over a 30-32" barrel will RAISE POI about 1" for every 8 yards, or 4" at 32 yards, 5" at 40 yards.

Take any of those sight pictures, and raise the comb so as to line beads up in a figure "8" and the gun will shoot HIGHER still, usually by about 10% on pattern center --- meaning it will change a 50/50 POI to about 60/40, or change a 60/40 POI to 70/30.

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~