CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Cynergy Field Grade 20 ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

In my endless search for a new shotgun for upland hunting with my 9 year old this year I've been all over the map. Autos, side by sides (AYA #4) and O/U.

Like to keep it around 2K although I held that AYA and it felt good. Trying to be somewhat practical as I haven't hunted upland since I was a kid, I'm leaning towards an O/U. I'm willing to spend the 2K + or - as I want (and enjoy) buying good guns that will last and I can give to the boys.

I've kind of narrowed it down to a Cynergy 20ga, 28" O/U. Played with Benelli Vinci's, Beretta O/U today but read Wakemans review on the Cynergy that seems to be the ticket.

thoughts? anything better O/U upland wise for 2K ish. Am I better off buying a maxus os SX3?

I appreciate in advance your help with my uneducated questions.

Post subject: Re: Browning Cynergy Field Grade 20 ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very happy with my satin field Classic...for good prices and a great guy to deal with try http://www.herosarms.com/index.htm (just a happy multiple customer)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Cynergy Classic Field in 20 Gauge. I am very happy with the gun. I have put about 5,000 rounds through it with no problems. Love the lower profile and the balance.

Olaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I've got a field version in 20ga w/ 28" barrels and it's a great all around gun. About 5,000 rounds shot to date.

Check CDNN for possibly great prices. Last time I looked you could get a field grade for about $1300. I've only bought one gun from them (12 ga Cynergy) and it went well, but by many other accounts they've got a fine reputation.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a 20 gauge cynergy field from cdnn $1300. I loved it, so I bought the 12 gauge field. Great skeet gun. I bought the Gold gauge mates so I can shoot the 20, 28, and 410 gauge shells throught the same gun. It worked out real well. Because the cynergy has mechanical triggers the 410 shells shoot great. You don't have to worry about the recoil to reset the triggers. And I just purchased the 12 gauge feather cynergy the other day used. I don't get it till tomorrow but I'm really looking forward to it. I give the cynergy two thumbs up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

Why would Wakeman's review sway you to the Cynergy? It's not a bad gun, but it's not the only gun.

Personally, I think the 20 Gauge 686/7 is about the best-handling production upland gun out there in that price range. Maybe you prefer the Cynergy in the hands. That's up to you. But the Cynergy is not a better gun than the 680 series, which, even in the field version, has the same receiver as guns used heavily for Sporting Clays. Personal preference is what I'd go on. If you like the Cynergy in your hands, better than anything else in the price range, go for it. But reviews don't make guns feel better to any individual.

Bottom feeders are great if you plan to hunt in snowstorms or drop the gun in rocks. But for anything else, I'll take a break action.

Something to consider also is the S&W Elite Gold SxS, available now at clearance prices but almost all gone. I switched off between shooting a 28" Elite Gold and a 28" 686 the other day (both 20s), and I found that I immediately liked my new Elite Gold nearly as well as my familiar Beretta O/U. Certainly, if you have considered an AyA, you may want to check these things out.

The Cynergy Classic doesn't look too bad, but the original style is so incredibly ugly that I couldn't bring myself to get one. Of course, if you're looking at Vincis... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also own a cynergy and have had it for a couple of years. I have only two complaints: the triggers, while mechanical, are atrocious with long creepy, heavy pulls, and that piece of cheap plastic under the forearm that is attached to the barrels. Other than that, the gun is wonderful. Personally, I think that Browning could do better with a crisp trigger pull and better material than plastic for the money you are paying. It handles like a Beretta 68X and I would certainly take a look at the Berettas before you make your decision. I own both, but I won't state my perference here. Make up you own mind.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks all, especially Barry, being uneducated to these type guns, and after searching , it looked like Wakeman's reviews were fairly well respected so I posted about the Browning for more info. I do get what you're saying though which is a big wake up call, see which one feels or fits best.

I'm not locked into the Cynergy and will surely check out all of your suggestions.

I'm just a 54 year old guy with a 9 year old kid wanting to take him pheasant hunting and thought I'd go out and buy a O/U. Want to make the best choice I can, (it's like there's too many choices)

Thanks again for putting up with my lack of knowledge, all opinions from actual hunters/users are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:34 am 
Crown Grade

I have two Cynergys and they have been very good guns. Remember when buying a gun.
It has to fit right to shoot right. Then the feel and balance must be right for your style of shooting. Sometime you can't get it all but it will be close. So try to handle the guns you are looking at and buy the one YOU like best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Will that Cynergy fit your 9 yr. old? I learned the hard way by my 9 yr old nephew shooting my Cynergy 20 ga that the lever hitting you in the nose doesn't feel good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I've always enjoyed Citori's, especially the 20 gauge White Lightnings and XS Sporting models. However; after shooting the Cynergy I'd happily add one as my budget allows it. But like other posters, I will definitely make sure it is either the Classic Field model or Classic Sporting as I don't particularly appreciate the aesthetics of the inflex pad.

While that is of course personal opinion, I think it is shared by enough folks so that resale of the Classic models may be higher than that of the Inflex-pad models. Maybe someone here will have more data on that issue. Although I have never seen the Classic models blown out at CDDN.

There do seem to be a fair amount of "Cynergy Satin Classic Field" models being sold at very reasonable prices. These are great looking guns with non-engraved receivers, and I've seen some selling NIB for $1100-$1400.

Another gun worth trying out, besides the excellent 686/7 Beretta's, should be their new SV10 models. (both Sporting and Field models available)

These look nice and have been getting great reviews. Someone on the classified boards here on ShotgunWorld (Silver Creek Outfitters?) has been selling them at very attractive prices.