CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflex sight for shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am 
Field Grade

Hi, first post on this forum.

I was wondering if anyone had put a reflex sight on their shotgun? My father has a red-dot mounted to his savage 24v and it works great for partridge once you pick them up in the sight, since you just put the dot on their heads, pull the trigger, pick up the bird (99% accurate) and move along. I can do this fine in open areas, but in the woods I can't find em in the scope, but I'm usualy using my old NEF parder with the bead, which I can pick em out great. I'm a good shot with a bead to 35 yards, but after that, I have a more difficult time. (i've shot partridge at 60 yards on a dirt road before with a bead, but doesn't happen often). It's just with more wood cutting in my area, the population of birds is getting more scarce and more skiddish, and the only shot I had at a bird around home within 35 yards I got no problem, but missed one at 50 yards, and another at 45 yards. (hunting with a 20 gauge.)

But enough about the background, since I'm not very good at long range with a bead, I was wondering if a reflex sight could be mounted on a shotgun. My NEF pardner doesn't have any mounting points, but I was going to have the local gunsmith put on a rifle type rail (sort of like the handi-rifles). I figure a reflex sight would be just like a bead (no zoom, a dot and a wide viewing angle) and be easier to pick up targets than a red dot quickly. Also, the red dot my father uses doesn't have any zoom either and it works fine, but it's fairly old and has a very tiny view

Any info, input, or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Reflex sight for shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

So you are strolling around and sluicing partridge?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best sight for ground swatting birds is the Unertl 140x....this is the one approved by the Intergalactic Council and is presently mounted on the starship USS Constellation. This sight has a measured range of 1.34 parsecs on the Buhnd scale and is known not to damage the good tasting parts of the bird , keeping the meat pristine and BBQ ready.

{hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

If you are using sights on the gun, you are not focused on your bird - result is a miss - whether feather or clay

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 pm 
Field Grade

Quote:
The best sight for ground swatting birds is the Unertl 140x....this is the one approved by the Intergalactic Council and is presently mounted on the starship USS Constellation. This sight has a measured range of 1.34 parsecs on the Buhnd scale and is known not to damage the good tasting parts of the bird , keeping the meat pristine and BBQ ready.

Wow, I didn't realize with a good reflex sight I'd be able to shoot birds over 4 light years away... :roll:

And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by sluicing?

Around here most land is owned by paper or logging companies that allow public use.
We either walk to hunt, or "heater hunt" in pickups which is the preferred method, since in the fall they tend to be near or in the roads collecting rocks. They tend to be skiddish because of all the bear hunters running around and a lot more bird hunters as well thanks to AMC and Roxanne Quimby buying alot of land and closing it down to hunters.

Quote:
If you are using sights on the gun, you are not focused on your bird - result is a miss - whether feather or clay

I don't have enough shotgun experience to know exactly where it is pointing without looking down the sights. I know some people who barley have it up to their shoulder and they shoot without even looking down the barrel and kill birds at 30 yards, I'm not one of those people. I've had a lot of luck over the years dinging birds in the head with the bead, just not outside of 30 or 35 yards, and with a red dot sight, my father might miss one bird a year within a reasonable distance for a shotgun.

BTW I use either Nitro Express or Express, not dove loads if your mocking the distances...

Sorry for maybe sounding like a dink, but all these deflective posts and nothing on the original topic.

Reflex sight for a shotgun. Any input is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

"Sluicing" means shooting birds on the ground. It's generally considered to be unsportsmanlike, unethical and unsafe, but there are some exceptions.

Combining "road hunting" and "sluicing" on purpose, however, is the ultimate in slob hunting. Ground-shooting a bird you see at the end of a long day with an empty bag, to take home for dinner, is one thing, but setting out to do it, repeatedly, then asking about a reflex sight so you can do it at even longer range. Oh, man.

I mean, if you're out of work and your family needs the meat, nobody would look down on you for harvesting game however you can. But if you're doing this for "sport", then what you just posted is about the equivalent of strolling into a synagogue wearing a swastika armband.

Just so you know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 pm 
Field Grade

BarryD wrote:
"Sluicing" means shooting birds on the ground. It's generally considered to be unsportsmanlike, unethical and unsafe, but there are some exceptions.

Combining "road hunting" and "sluicing" on purpose, however, is the ultimate in slob hunting. Ground-shooting a bird you see at the end of a long day with an empty bag, to take home for dinner, is one thing, but setting out to do it, repeatedly, then asking about a reflex sight so you can do it at even longer range. Oh, man.

I mean, if you're out of work and your family needs the meat, nobody would look down on you for harvesting game however you can. But if you're doing this for "sport", then what you just posted is about the equivalent of strolling into a synagogue wearing a swastika armband.

Just so you know.

We don't have fields to hunt in around here, so once an upland gamebird starts to fly its already in the fir trees and it would be irresponsible or impossible to shoot to get a kill. I do hunt waterfowl in the fall, so yes, I do shoot birds on the fly, but like I said, we don't have wide open praries like out west that I can send my dog out in to flush birds out of the grass. Must be nice, but don't fly off the handle.

Tell me oh great hunter, you going to hit a bird on the fly in this type of woods? Ignore the grass, that's just the "shoulder" of the pulp road

And 80 % of the time they aren't out in the middle of the road, they are out underneath all that crap. I've shot quite a few birds prone underneath puckerbrush while it was running.

EDIT: and the reason we do it is because we enjoy eating partridge, not just for sport. Should I yell at a deer so it will run before I shoot it cause if it's standing still its unsportsman like? I hate deer hunting with a passion, but 60-100 lbs. of deer meat for a $1 bullet offsets that hatred. Of course then you add in the beer drank while cutting it up in the shed and it offsets it more.

Last edited by Murrdock on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:lol: So "heater hunting" is so you can keep warm in the truck? right? :lol: As to your cover; Newengland is full of heavy cover....ground sluicing birds is inexcusable regardless.... :lol:.... But comein on here and asking these guys for advice on how to do it more efficiently is absolutely PRICELESS :lol: I love this place... :lol: ....

Could this be a joke maybe?....Is it somebody funnin?...I'm sorry but I think the OP is fishin for flounders and he's caught some (me included).
Uh..... what kind of batteries do you guys use when jacklighting?....I'm forever running low on battery power always at the wrong time....

This is as good as the guy who wanted the hardest kicking shells so he could play a joke on his father....anybody remember him? :lol: ......Art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah... In the West, we hunt our forest grouse out on the open prairie. Damned convenient, it is. :roll:

And desert quail species in whatever environment give you plenty of time to shoot 'em. :lol:

At least if you're going to try to justify being a long-range ground-sluicing road hunter, you should get a tiny bit of information right. :lol:

So tell me, is this what "deer hunting" looks like?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Uh..... what kind of batteries do you guys use when jacklighting?....I'm forever running low on battery power always at the wrong time....

If you get a quick-detach rifle rest for your truck door, you can just plug into the cigarette lighter socket, and you can keep warm, too. :mrgreen:

But what I want to know is, when you fish with dynamite, what's the best waterproof fuse you've found? :lol:

Last edited by BarryD on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the helpful information about a shotgun sight.

I guess growing up around white trash I never learned how to hunt properly. I'll start carrying pots and pans with me into the woods so I can get every game animal within a one mile radius to either run or fly away from me. I'll also start using a Daisy BB gun, because a 20 gauge has to big of a shot pattern and is to easy to kill a game bird with. I also decided on the moose hunt this year (permit pending) I'll bring a .22LR, because a .30-06 might kill the animal on the spot without me having to chase it 5 miles though the woods to get off a second shot.

Thanks for the edjumacation guys, you completely changed my outlook on hunting, it's for sport only, and if it's to easy, it's not worth doing. Now I shall spread the word to all the other hunters in the region that hunt in the exact same fashion. Terrible, terrible people they are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Murrdock: For a troll , you're pretty damn funny....welcome to ShotgunWorld.

Humor soothes the savage beast. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm 
Field Grade

lol if you are going to shoot them that far off i would suggest in a ghillie suit, a slug gun, and a high powered scope so you can pick those suckers off before they even see you ;)

but if you are serious then i would suggest goin to a local gunsmith who can probably attach a rail so you can put an electronic sight on it.

p.s. hunt however you want. as long as you arent breaking any laws then have at it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 pm 
Field Grade

sera wrote:
Murrdock: For a troll , you're pretty damn funny....welcome to ShotgunWorld.

Humor soothes the savage beast. 8)

Wow is all I can say...

I must have grew up in a real s***hole if people think I'm trolling.

As I look back over my posts (not the last one) I can see how terrible it really looks to flatlander's (Maine's term for people that live out of state). Everyone I grew up around, am friends with, talked to, or met hunting has hunted partridge the same exact way I do, and I've met ALOT of people over the years on hunting trips, snowmobiling, ice fishing, canoeing, working, or down at college.

Maybe you have to come from and live in the region to understand, but I was completely blown away with a lot of the s*** I've got, especially being my first couple posts on a forum designed to spread information about shotguns to the uninformed masses.

Guess I'll never understand the concept of people banging their cousins, and you'll never understand my concept of hunting, but hey, it's a free country, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Don't suppose anyone would actually give me some factual information about the OP's subject?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The information which you seek is entirely a personal matter. The issue you describe, shooting at 50-60 yds, is more the function of the choke, and shot pattern. At those distances, you may have too many holes in the pattern to be effective. Putting a scope on the gun isn't going to help you.

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Murrdock, if you re-read my first post, you will not see any "sh*t". I WAS informing you. Note that others were not so kind, and my post explained why. I anticipated that response to your post.

YOU came back like a jerk. At me.

As a result, in my book, you're fair game. Your continued rant and tendency to attack people promotes that to no-seasons, no-limits.

Quote:
Guess I'll never understand the concept of people banging their cousins

From what I understand, it's a lot like road hunting and sluicing birds. You might enjoy it, but you expect that some people won't cheer you on if you tell them the details. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

There's this little voice in my head saying "don't do it, don't post on that thread".
I'm reminded of a verse in Alfred Lord Tennyson's "Charge of the Light Brigade".

Here's what you are looking for http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html.

However, if you are going to pot shoot them out of the window of your truck, I suggest a .22 and a headshot. It's much more positive at longer ranges, doesn't waste any meat, and at least introduces an element of markmanship.

As far as the "marrying your cousin" references, may I direct your attention to a great American novel,
The Beans of Egypt, Maine

You'd enjoy it. I did.

Good luck and stay safe.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm 
Field Grade

BarryD wrote:
Murrdock, if you re-read my first post, you will not see any "sh*t". I WAS informing you. Note that others were not so kind, and my post explained why. I anticipated that response to your post.

YOU came back like a jerk. At me.

As a result, in my book, you're fair game. Your continued rant and tendency to attack people promotes that to no-seasons, no-limits.

Quote:
Guess I'll never understand the concept of people banging their cousins

From what I understand, it's a lot like road hunting and sluicing birds. You might enjoy it, but you expect that some people won't cheer you on if you tell them the details. :lol:

Sorry if I was a little dinkish, I was up late last night studying for an exam, and afterwards I was a little ticked cause my woman (not related :lol: )was bitchin' at me about hanging out with this other girl I know, but enough of the soap opera.

If you knew my father or grandfather, you'd understand the ranting, but I guess it's just the people we grow up around shape us into who we are, luckily not completely or I'd be working in a mill right now. I grew up hunting my way, and I just took offense to people saying it was unsportsmanlike even when it's 100% legal and it's the only way i've ever known or ever heard of to shoot grouse.

I also hunt turkeys and plan on doing some geese hunting this fall in the fields, so I'm practicing on clay pidgeons this summer with my buddies to get better at leading targets.

I know I can hit rabbits at full sprint, but birds flying is a much different scenario.

Still planning on that reflex sight though. I realize the choke of the gun helps long range accuracy more than the sight, but it couldn't hurt.

P.S. the banging the cousin thing was just something I found funny, not reflected at anyone on here, just thought I'd lighten the mood a little bit, but I suppose my first thread here has me permenantly labeled as a dink. Glad this is just an internet forum though.

EDIT: thanks dogfather, that's exactly what I was looking for more or less.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Murrdock wrote:
Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize with a good reflex sight I'd be able to shoot birds over 4 light years away... :roll:

And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by sluicing?

Around here most land is owned by paper or logging companies that allow public use.
We either walk to hunt, or "heater hunt" in pickups which is the preferred method, since in the fall they tend to be near or in the roads collecting rocks. They tend to be skiddish because of all the bear hunters running around and a lot more bird hunters as well thanks to AMC and Roxanne Quimby buying alot of land and closing it down to hunters.

Quote:

I don't have enough shotgun experience to know exactly where it is pointing without looking down the sights. I know some people who barley have it up to their shoulder and they shoot without even looking down the barrel and kill birds at 30 yards, I'm not one of those people. I've had a lot of luck over the years dinging birds in the head with the bead, just not outside of 30 or 35 yards, and with a red dot sight, my father might miss one bird a year within a reasonable distance for a shotgun.

BTW I use either Nitro Express or Express, not dove loads if your mocking the distances...

Sorry for maybe sounding like a dink, but all these deflective posts and nothing on the original topic.

Reflex sight for a shotgun. Any input is appreciated.

That is because you point a shotgun, not aim it, and those folks you mentioned are able to react quickly to the flush and point the gun where it needs to be - takes some practice. A skeet field is a great place for that as the targets never vary so you can work on your technique.

Good luck

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I get it, Murrdock. As long as you are safe and legal, don't worry about what these guys have to say.

I DO think you'd have more fun if you tried to hunt the birds more traditionally and shoot them a-flying. Surely there are some burns, cuts,rights of ways, etc. where this could be done. Don't disregard the .22 either. Of course, that may not be legal.

Very similarly, we shoot deer over feeders, out of box blinds down here. It's something of a necessity. If we don't want major problems as far as a die off, stunted, poor quality deer, there's hardly any other way to kill enough of them, especially the baldies. The low cover in S Texas is so dense that an elevated stand and shooting lanes are pretty necessary. People in my home state of Kansas think that's awful. But a lot of Texas shooters go all season without harvesting a buck.

My father visited here in the Spring not long after I moved to Texas. We went fishing on a large lake surrounded by national forest. We could here gunfire sporadically as we caught crappie over the two days and Dad asked why all the shooting. I told him squirrel season had just opened. This was something new to him, but he took it in stride. Then he said
"But it sounds like they're shooting them with SHOTGUNS!".
I confirmed that this was probably the case. My Dad laughed for five minutes, and days later he'd start laughing and shake his head and say
"Shooting squirrels with shotguns" as if it were the stupidest thing he'd ever heard of. See, Dad was quite a squirrel hunter as a young man. He helped feed his family with squirrel and rabbit during the depression. Of the thousands he probably killed he never killed one with anything except a .22 ( a shotgun shell cost too much) and never shot one anywhere except in the head.

My Dad and I also scouted the nearby farm ponds by air, then landed, got in the truck, and drove to whatever pond had not just any ducks but mallards, not just anywhere on the pond but up next to the dam where they were easy to sneak. But my Dad wouldn't shoot a bird on the water, or on the ground. Here in Texas, pond jumping is considered immoral, and scouting from an airplane is probably illegal, but if a bird lands in your decoys, well, that's considered a "free one" by most duck hunters. If it flies it dies, if it swims, or just sits there, it also dies.

People here in Texas shot turkeys with their deer rifles, out of their deer stands, for years and years before anyone ever figured out they could be hunted with shotguns and calls. Now spring hunting is done with shotguns and calls and and "rifling" a bird is considered low rent by most (including me) turkey hunters.

Texas quail hunt - Put out a pair of english pointers that cost more than your house to fuss at and then shoot blue quail out of a high rack truck with an expensive English double. hahahaha.
Like you said, it's how you were brought up, the game and the terrain, etc.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.