CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 stuck shell cure...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am 
Field Grade

To see full story, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=235288

I think I may have found the issue. I was always looking "in" the chamber. Look at the surface just above the oval engraving. As that surface nears the chamber there are a lot of tool marks. Those tool marks grab the rim of the shell (after its fired, the shell's rim expands into these marks or grooves). I used a dremel to smooth out those marks (on the original barrel, Remington sent me a new barrel as they failed to fix the original one).
I put two fired shells in the barrel (unassembled) and the both stuck. After the dremel job, the slightest pressure will get them out.
Original barrel on top:

So I smoothed out the area discussed above (on original barrel) and put four shells through it. Before shooting I inked up the area so as to be able to see any tight areas (scratches) during extraction. Gun fired 100% and I'll be testing it some more. Ink showed one very small scratch.
Before shooting:

After:

The new barrel has the same tool mark (not as bad), so I smoothed those out too. I am very unimpressed with the machining work on these barrels.

EDIT: 8 more shells fired, 100%.

Last edited by pistolpete17 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 870 stuck shell cure...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you might be on to something. I have had 2 870's that honing and polishing the chamber did not fix the problem. On both guns, the shells would come out 1 1/16-1/8" and stick. I'll try this on the one I have now and see what happens.

Edit: I just checked mine and there is a rough spot in that area that is exactly where the shells stop when they hang up.

Last edited by trackerboy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Great work. You may have found the solution to a very widespread problem. I sure hope so. I WANT to like the 870 expresses. Just can't due to bad experiences.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I would have fired cases hang up once in a while. Read your post and decided to look at may barrel. Noticed some machine marks and burrs on mine. So I took some emery cloth and poslishe the area up. Will have to see if this takes care of the problem. Thanks for sharing the information. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I polished the tool marks out of mine today. I will have to see if it ends the stuck shell problem. The first time I shot it, I shot 2 boxes of federals through it. I had 38 out of 50 shells that stuck in it. Honing and polishing the chamber took the number of stuck shells down to an average of 4 out 25. Maybe now I can shoot a full box without having any stuck shells.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Would anyone mind telling me how old these Expresses are? I ask because I purchased a new 870 Express in 2007 and it has been great, no problems. I have heard that recently the quality has really gone down with the Express line, maybe I am being wishful and it was an abismal line from the begining. I seem to recall though having some Estate Target loads get stuck when I first took it out, I can't remember if I cleaned it thoroughly before shooting it the first time, I know, shame on me.

I have since purchased a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel for HD use and I really scrubbed it with the brass brush when I first brought it home, it was a Remington barrel and I think they called it a Police Barrel if I remember correctly. This barrel has performed flawlessly for me with a variety of ammo from light target loads to magnum 3" buckshot.

Sorry you guys are having bad luck, thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What did you use to polish these up? I know you mentioned a Dremel, but they have about 10,000 bits you can use. Which bit did you use?

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 am 
Presentation Grade

I have no issues with my 870 but I am still going to check mine for tool marks. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:27 am 
Field Grade

To answer a few questions:
My 870 is about a year and a half old.

If I were fixing these for a living, I'd find something better to use. I used the sandpaper roll first, moving it back and forth parallel to the barrel as not to create more perpendicular marks that would grab shell rims. Then I finished with the white attachment (it did not polish like I wanted)
Be careful not to deform the chamber's shoulder (proper term?). The radius cut where on one side you are "in" the chamber and the other side you are not.

Last edited by pistolpete17 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used the same sanding attachment you did. I haven't used the white buffer yet. As to mountainwilliam's question, I bought mine new from the store about 3 weeks ago, but it was made in October, 2009. So it was made around a year and half ago. The only ones I have had trouble with are the Supermags chambered for 3 1/2" shells. Thanks pistolpete17.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 am 
Field Grade

No problem tracker. Seems like this is more of an issue with the super mags (3 1/2). That's what mine is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:33 am 
Presentation Grade

nice read-
one thing you might think about on those polishing attachments- they don't do so well unless you use a polishing compound on them- car rubbing compound or even polishing compound

just a suggestion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

tfi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Rastoff; A cylinder hone used for brake cylinders is best to use for this job. Any small auto repair shop has them.It only takes a few seconds with an electric drill and the shop didn;t even charge me to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You mean like this:
I'm not sure how that would be better in this case. Unless it is used in an enclosed space, like the chamber, it can't be kept on the surface.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A brake cylinder hone like the one shone is used for honing out the INSIDE of the chamber. A sanding drum or some type of cylinder or drum attachment is what pistolpete used and what I used to clean up the underside of the barrel lug just outside of the chamber. For anyone thinking of doing this, DON'T try to clean up the barrel lug area with a brake hone. You will ruin your hone, possibly ruin your barrel and in the worst case you could seriously hurt yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pistolpete,
Your theory was right on. I shot my 870 today and not a single stuck shell. Thank you for posting about this. It is such an easy fix, once you know what the problem is. Remington needs to do a better job and make sure this is taken care of at the factory.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

trackerboy wrote:
Pistolpete,
Your theory was right on. I shot my 870 today and not a single stuck shell. Thank you for posting about this. It is such an easy fix, once you know what the problem is. Remington needs to do a better job and make sure this is taken care of at the factory.

You're welcome, Tracker. It's sad that the 870's reputation is taking a hit from a very easily avoidable flaw. Also sad that Remington took my 870 in for repair and could not fix it.
I have been shooting mine more and it still has been 100% since my repair (with cheap low brass shells).
Most guns I would have given up on long ago, but there is something I like about the 870 (even more now that it works).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 am 
Field Grade

More shells fired (on original barrel) and still 100% function.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pistolpete,

Would this count as the shotgun equivalent of polishing the ramp in an auto pistol? I wonder if there is more "reliability" tuning one can do to a shotgun, either auto or repeating to make it more dependable.