CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T/C Encore Slug Guns
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 am 
Utility Grade

Any one on here shooting either the Encore rifled slug barrel or the Pro Hunter rifled slug barrel. I have had the 20 gauge Pro Hunter for three hunting seasons and love it. Mine shots as good as the H&R USG that I had and is a hole lot nicer to hold and carry. (I know the price difference between the two guns.) Also, mine is stock. I have not customized it in anyway. Anybody else have any experience with any of the T/C Slug Guns?

Post subject: Re: T/C Encore Slug Guns
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20 gauge pro hunter with a Bellm 1X hinge pin installed. I have floated the forearm which is the extent of my modifications.

They slug rifle shoots my 20 gauge CSS saboted handloads under 1 inch at 50 yards and under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards with the Hornady 250 gr FTX bullet.

Super X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 am 
Utility Grade

Anyone have any experience with Mag-na-Port. More specifically, having a slug barrel "Pro Ported" to reduce muzzle lift?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 am 
Crown Grade

scallop wrote:
More specifically, having a slug barrel "Pro Ported" to reduce muzzle lift?

If you value your hearing, you would not install a magna-port on a 12ga sluggun; which you will unquestionably be shooting in the field without hearing protection.

JC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:57 pm 
Field Grade

jcchartboy wrote:
scallop wrote:

If you value your hearing, you would not install a magna-port on a 12ga sluggun; which you will unquestionably be shooting in the field without hearing protection.

JC

Or may I recommend the Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs. Been using them for quite some time with my handcannons and they are great.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:23 am 
Tournament Grade

jcchartboy wrote:
scallop wrote:

JC

+1

Super X 1

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

hows the gun weight? Those guns pretty light arent they?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

The big 20 gauge hole in the stainless barrel reduces all the weight. Having many T/C barrels the smaller the bore size the heavier they are, ie the 204 ruger barrel is a tank to carry.

Not having weighed the gun I estimate the weight about 7 1/4 pounds all up (with scope). I would prefer a 26 inch pro hunter barrel VS the 28 inches which is standard length for the pro hunter barrels.

Importantly the scope screw holes on the 20 gauge slug barrels are placed in the rear chamber area were as the 12 gauge scope mount holes are forward of the chamber were there is enough metal to securly hold the mount system.

Super X

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I ordered the TC Encore Pro Hunter in the turkey configuration so I could get the stock and forearm in camo and ordered the 20 ga blued slug barrel and topped it with a Nikon Prostaff scope. My 13 yr old dropped an 8 pt at 115 paces this past season. I was confident in his shot and let him take it after our range work prior to the season. The property hunter where we hunt requests slugs only, and after doing my research, I thought this would be a great way to go. So far, so good.

In 20 ga slug with scope, 7 1/4 lbs. Turkey mode = 6lbs - very nice to carry in the woods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

i know this an old post, but i am thinking of buying a tc pro hunt in 20ga and i am wonder if the placement of the scope mount holes are an issue? See Superx's comment below.

Importantly the scope screw holes on the 20 gauge slug barrels are placed in the rear chamber area were as the 12 gauge scope mount holes are forward of the chamber were there is enough metal to securly hold the mount system.

Super X

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=255524#ixzz1d8e06Nw9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I use the Leopold "QR" quick release system on all my T/C barrels including the 20 gauge slug barrel. I have removed the scope in the QR rings and reattched to the QR base and the 50 yard group had 3 holes touching after firing the third shot.

Stupid X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

scallop wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Mag-na-Port. More specifically, having a slug barrel "Pro Ported" to reduce muzzle lift?

I had my old Savage 210 magnaported. I noticed no practical decrease in felt recoil or muzzle lift. I also didn't notice a big increase in sound but a 210 is a bit longer than some guns and I always use hearing protection at the range so I can't be sure if it's much louder. In a quiet woods setting while hunting everything sounds like a bomb blast to me so it's a bit hard to tell if there was an increase in sound from that standpoint. Overall I'd say it was not worth getting it done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I have the Hasting cantilevered, ported 12 gauge barrel on one of my Ithaca 37s and it dramatically reduces the barrel lift. It is also much, much louder...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the older style TC Encore not the pro hunter. I got a great deal on a slug barrell and now know why they are closing out the old style. This thing kicks like a mule! Had read posts on making sure to allow plenty of eye relief and did so but forgot to hold it down on the sand bags a couple times and have the bruises and scab on my forehead to show for it. By the time I got done shooting about 25 rounds through it at the range last weekend I was still flinching 24 hours later. Accurate little son-of-a-gun though. If you can stand the beating and not flinch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh, and before I could sight it in I had to file the welds on the barrell lug. Tried to load it and the barrell would not pivot down enough to load a shell. After scratching my head for a while and looking at it pretty hard I figured out that the welds had been carried too far forward and the bulge at the end of the weld was hitting the receiver keeping it from opening all the way. Got out the Brownell gun files and went to work and that fixed that little problem. Now I just need to add about 5 pounds to the end of the barrell so it won't jump like a jackrabbit when I touch her off. I started flinching again just writing about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Hambone33 wrote:
Oh, and before I could sight it in I had to file the welds on the barrell lug. Tried to load it and the barrell would not pivot down enough to load a shell. After scratching my head for a while and looking at it pretty hard I figured out that the welds had been carried too far forward and the bulge at the end of the weld was hitting the receiver keeping it from opening all the way. Got out the Brownell gun files and went to work and that fixed that little problem. Now I just need to add about 5 pounds to the end of the barrell so it won't jump like a jackrabbit when I touch her off. I started flinching again just writing about it.

Are you sure it was the welds and 'NOT" an overly tight hinge pin?

Stupid X