CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi Renaissance Classic Field Problems
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:28 pm 
Field Grade

Gentlemen:

I purchased a new Renaissance Classic 20 ga in October. After putting around 300 shells threw it on one bird hunt and several trips to shoot clays, I have noticed a roughly 10% misfire rate. Sequence:

Pull trigger - bottom barrel fires
Pull trigger - nothing
Pull trigger - nothing
Pull trigger - snap
Pull trigger - fire

Not always the sequence but this is the most common. Have searched the boards and noticed similar problems and have sent the gun back to Franchi for service. They returned and said there is no problem. After return fired the gun and on the fifth try, problem occurred.

Has anyone gotten resolution on their problems with their Renaissance guns? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

"The sad truth is that though a man can learn to use a gun in a few easy lessons, the skills and attitudes that make hunting a rewarding human experience are not so much acquired as instilled" - Lew Dietz

"The sad truth is that though a man can learn to use a gun in a few easy lessons, the skills and attitudes that make hunting a rewarding human experience are not so much acquired as instilled" - Lew Dietz

Post subject: Re: Franchi Renaissance Classic Field Problems
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 am 
Diamond Grade

Early on with mine, I had the second barrel fail to fire. I have now decided after a couple of years that it was operator error, and haven’t had any problems since. I have no way of knowing if that is your situation. Since Franchi said there is nothing wrong with the gun it might be worth considering. Do you have any snap caps? They can be used to test the gun since it has mechanical trigger reset. I would think if there is a mechanical problem it would show and would be proof that Franchi should honor the warranty. I played with mine for a week, with the stock off, and could not find anything wrong with it.

Imo, there are three reasons for the second barrel not to fire when there is no actual mechanical problem:

1) Failure to letup on the trigger after the first shot. It must move slightly forward to reset for the second shot. It want shoot fully automatic.

2)Safety not taken off properly. It must be hard right or left when pushed forward. If in the middle it will misfire the second shot. I have seen cases where it is moved after the first shot either because of recoil or a combination of recoil and how the shooter is holding the gun. It is hard to say why. I suspect that the thumb is left in a position to cause the recoil to move the safety. If the thumb is where it should be (not on the safety), this should be a very seldom, if ever, occurrence, if the safety is pushed off correctly. It does happen.

Recently my son was shooting my SKB and one time the second barrel misfired. I told him to not do anything and let me see the gun. The safety was on. On that gun the selector is down on the trigger guard so taking the safety off had nothing to do with why it was on after the first shot.

3) Dirty gun. I would hope Franchi would have checked this. It seems like I read somewhere that Franchi didn’t advise any lubrication. I don’t know if this is true or not. I believe in LIGHTLY lubricating any moving part.

Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Renaissance Sporting that had similar problems when I first shot it. First barrel would fire, second barrel would not. I contacted Franchi, told them of the problem and sent the gun back to them. They made some adjustments and now the gun fires flawlessly. If you are continuing to have problems, I would contact them again and have them make it right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If only the Beretta Group would test fire their products before sending them out for the customer to QC for them, it would avoid a lot of problems. IMO, it would be good PR if they didn't have to repair guns for the customer immediately after the sale. It is aggravating to send them back and forth when they should have been QC'd at the factory.

I love Franchi products, have been using them for over 50 years. Until the Beretta Group started producing them, I never heard of a problem with new guns failing to work as they should.

You haven't won an argument until the other person says, "WHATEVAH"!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
Field Grade

Gentlemen:

All good advice. I have since attempted to fire the gun with snap caps and encountered the problem. I also took it to the field and put two boxes of shells through the gun with only one misfire.

I always clean my guns after use, although I don't fully break them down. Also, I own a Beretta SPII 12 GA and have never encountered any....zero...problems with that gun, so hopefully I can rule out user error (although definitely a possibility!!).

What I have always noticed about the gun is that there seems to be a little play in the safety mechanism. This could be causing the issue. Hopefully, I'll have an opportunity to shoot in the next few weeks. Will update as I continue to experience the issue or resolve it.

Thanks to all for the advice. I love the gun, but if it continues to fail, may have a CG in my future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:49 pm 
Field Grade

Any resolution on this? My firearm was doing this on day one. I sent it back they returned it saying it was within tolerance and test fired it 30 or so times with no problems. Well day 1 on taking it out it did it again. So I started being really careful about the safety. And the problem seemed to stop or slow down. Well I went dove hunting today. Perhaps shot 20 rounds and 5 or so misfired. I am wondering if the safety spring is loose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I would push Franchi on this issue. When you are spending $1,000+ on a firearm, there is no reason that the gun shouldn't function flawlessly out of the box or the manufacturer stand behind their product to correct the problem. As I said in an earlier post, Franchi was able to correct my problems...however, if my shotgun came back and I was continuing to have problems, I would definitely send it back until the problem was fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

elcid79 - I was finally able to take it to the sporting clay course this past week. Out of 100 shots, it only misfired twice (2%). This is a vast improvement over the 10% misfire rate I originally had, however it IS STILL not performing as it should.

Quite frankly, my debate is to take it back to the dealer now and have them send it back to Franchi again, which means I will be without it for a portion of the upcoming quail season or try to run a few more boxes through it.

As I mentioned an earlier post, the safety mechanism was loose when I originally purchased the gun. When it was returned from Franchi it was snug. You may want to start your search there.

Will update as I know more.

Post subject: Franchi Renaissance Classic Field Problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply. I think that may be my problem. I have the elite in 12g. I am going to contact Benelli this week. I will keep you all posted.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:56 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought a franci diamond last week and can get the trigger to not work on the second shot whenever I want. I can do one of three things to accomplish this. I can not have the selector all the way to the left or right. Or I can not take my finger off the trigger quickly enough, or the usual way I make it misbehave is to pull the trigger too slow. This slow trigger pulling is the most common with me and my two sons. We all shot this gun sunday on clays and trap. We did 175 rounds on this gun and it misfired at least 3 or 4 times. I found this out today by taking it back to dick's where my son bought it and had the counter man cycle it. He got tired after trying 40 times to make it malfunction so I took it and pulled the trigger more slowly and it did it on the second try. I also showed him how I sometimes dont let the trigger return and that also caused the problem. So for now I am blaming me and my boys instead of the gun. I called benelli warranty service 3 times today and yesterday and the first time the lady was blaming my ammo and said the gun is not warrantied unless I use a minimum 3 dram load. This made no sense to me but I did not want to argue so I just hung up. The second call I just got voicemail but left a message. The third call I made today after visiting dicks and the lady was somewhat helpful. My voicemail was returned also later on and that lady apologized for the first call because she knew I have a mechanical trigger. She will be calling me back tomorrow or a gunsmith will, to see if the gun can be improved upon. She also said the turnaround is 2 days if I need to sent it back. I went to dicks because they would send it in for me at no charge otherwise I have to pay shipping both ways. We have never had a selectable trigger in the family before so this is a learning experience. I have cycled the action tonight and cannot get it to malfunction if I pull the trigger hard and fast. I have not shot in a decade or so and both sons are just starting out as well. It is always a hard time on sporting clays or trap or shooting anything with a first time shooter and have the gun not fire when it is supposed to. If the gunsmith calls me with any worthwhile info I will post again. Otherwise we just have to stop treating this shotgun like a rifle and start being more aggressive on the trigger. I also asked if there is anything I can do myself to clean or lube the trigger and if it would help. I also asked how many people are calling about this problem and was told it was only a handfull but did not get a timeframe. I was told this gun is the same as the renaissance only missing the better finish and pad, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Customer service called to say the gunsmith is very busy and he will call tomorrow. However the gunsmith never returned my call. But after calling customer service again today and repeating my story I received a call from Norman. After telling him my story about being more aggressive on the trigger we agreed he would call me next week to see if this would solve the problem. He explained how the trigger actually worked and said he could make it work a little better for me if I continue to have problems. So I will shoot it again more aggressively and see what happens. I also asked a few questions about cleaning and the tightness of the action and he was very helpful. He explained in detail about how the selectable/safety mechanism for the trigger works but I could not follow him. All I understood from what he said is that it is complicated. we were talking three springs. I myself like to tinker and take things apart but I actually need to see the parts in order to follow a verbal explanation of them. It was a good conversation however and I also learned I do not need snap caps to dry fire this gun. I learned a lot in a 5 min. call. He told me not to grease it at all and I need not do any cleaning to the trigger or oiling. He did raise his voice about customers who over oil and grease.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 pm 
Field Grade

Went hunting today or tried too anyway. The safety is now completely broke - flip flops every which way and does nothing. It is now time to give Norman the gunsmith a call. Dick's will return it for me at no charge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am 
Field Grade

Saftey is becoming problematic on mine as well. Have another quail hunt scheduled during Christmas. If this is still an issue, mine will go back to the factory as well.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=274716

Link to post describing my most recent issue is above.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

Picked up repaired gun earlier this week. All seems well using snap caps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a really nice used Franchi 12g O/U Field and used it to hunt pheasant without a hitch, but then by the fall a few years ago, I took it to Orvis Sandanona in NY to shoot 5 stand. It was a chilly day, and I had a case of Remington gun clubs that had been in the damp basement all summer. The gun started doing generally the same thing you all are having issues with. I though it was the ammo, which had some very minor effects of the damp basement showing on the brass, so I wrote it off to that, and the more I worked with swapping the shells out if they didn't fire, a few boxes later, the gun worked fine! I had my Orvis guide clean it after going through 8 boxes of gun club over an hour/half. Thinking the problem was the ammo, with dented primers sometimes but no discharge, I let it go. A few months later I took it to a local club for some 5 stand on a bright but really COLD day with both new and reloaded ammo, and I could not get the gun to fire either barrel. Being a new retiree and budding FFL/gunsmith wanna be (after all as an Army Field Artillery Reserve Officer, how hard can it be?), I took the stock off and realized that the plungers that the internal hammers were hitting to make the firing pin pop through the hole to hit the primer hard enough, wasn't moving that free and seemed sticky, having old gel like oil around those strikers and some of the moving parts/linkage under the usually hidden stock area of the firing mechanism. I closed the shotgun to get the hammers to cock and out of the way to work on the plungers, opened the barrels again for safety, then used gunsmith punches/brass hammer to free the pins holding each of the two plungers, spring and firing pins, completely cleaned with wd40, to include pipe cleaning the firing pin holes through to barrels, then Rem oiled all that, etc... to include all moving parts of firing mechanism.... and haven't had a problem since. I think Franchi didn't go out of their way to polish the holes, which seemed a little rough, so just a little gunk and chilly to cold temps... and all you get is click! (Thanks for listening) :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry to bump a two year old thread but I also had this same problem with my relatively new Renaissance. After the first shot the safety kind of half engages itself. Called Franchi/Benelli and I shipped them the gun yesterday. They claimed it must be something mechanically wrong with the bolt/rod that triggers the safety (defective possibly). I should know in 10 days what the exact issue is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, let me know what they say. Stay safe and keep in touch.

Bill H.
Hotalen Sporting Arms
Pine Bush, NY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

alimbocl wrote:
Sorry to bump a two year old thread but I also had this same problem with my relatively new Renaissance. After the first shot the safety kind of half engages itself. Called Franchi/Benelli and I shipped them the gun yesterday. They claimed it must be something mechanically wrong with the bolt/rod that triggers the safety (defective possibly). I should know in 10 days what the exact issue is.

I have about 6 years (?) on mine now and have lost track of the number of rounds through it. It would have to be several thousand from clays and hunting. I haven’t had any problems other than what I mentioned in my post above. I hope it will always be so as I really like the gun.

I would be interested to know how your situation turns out. I know for a fact that they can work properly. I haven’t done anything to mine except take it down and clean it when I first bought it. Might be time to do that again.

Let us know what happens with yours.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am 
Utility Grade

I'll keep you all posted as soon as I hear back from them. On a side note I was getting the issue with 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. Hopefully they get it taken care of. Besides this issue I have no problems with the gun and I enjoy shooting it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 pm 
Field Grade

I don't have much to add. I've got a Field 28 and have never had a problem with it. Granted, I only use it for skeet and grouse/quail and don't have that many rounds through it. I really enjoy this forum as there are some extremely knowledgeble folks in here and I've learned a ton. Good luck. Franchi-Benelli are very reputable folks and hopefully will get it solved for you.
Phil