CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where can i buy tungsten super shot (tss) ?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

title says it all. i am looking for some tss shot to make up some turkey loads.any help is apprec.thanks ddhotbot@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: where can i buy tungsten super shot (tss) ?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm 
Crown Grade

http://WWW.Ballistic Products .com,888-273-5623,They sell steel ITX shot,bismuth and lead,also all kinds of
steel shot components and manuals,been dealing with them for 20 years or more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah, me too!. I was fixin' to order enough to load 300 shells, went to the website, and I'll be danged if they ain't out of business. I killed turkeys stone dead so far that I am embarassed to tell people about it, they think I am lying. High dollar for sure, but WELL WORTH IT!

I did find this place http://www.tungstenspheres.com/ , but we need to come up with a wad that replaces the wad that TSS sent in the reloading kit when you ordered the shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated

250savage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 am 
Crown Grade

this tungsten super shot is unbelievable.
for the wad, you could try the "ranger plus" thats one tough wad.

it doesnt need to be shot at silly speeds.1100 is good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

what size tunsten shot are you using for turkey? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

i`m not shooting turkeys.
im compiling data at the moment, i`m planning on shooting geese.

#8 shot is popular at the moment.

do you have a recipe? would you share it with us?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

sorry no recipes yet i am at the beginning stages of this shot myself. i havnt tried it yet, just heard a little about it on the net.thanks don

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

A few years ago, I saw an internet ad for pure tungsten "balls" in metric sizes that corresponded to shot sizes (for example, 3.25mm, which is #4). That is basically what TSS is/was. Made in China, I think. A Google search might find it.

I tried one package of the TSS #7-1/2, when that size first came out. 17gm/ccm vs 11 for lead. Clean kills on very long ducks, but the pattern looked like a 30-06 at decoyed duck ranges.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:00 am 
Utility Grade

DDHOTBOT
I was shooting #5 Tungsten Super Shot, the heavy load they marketed. There was an article in Handloader magazine that turned me on to this stuff. I almost didn't try it because of the expense. Sure glad I did try it though. Tried it on paper first, found that modified choke produced the tightest, most even pattern in my 11-87. Then me and a buddy shot a couple of turkeys with it. All I can say is SWEET JESUS this stuff kills like nothing has ever killed before. It took us a while to get them at the right distance. We were looking for 60+ yard shots, sometimes hard to arrange in the woods. We were very impressed.

This limited experiment was done by 2 old men with over 40 years each of hunting experience. Before tungsten, we were both "big shot" shooters. Most people like #6 shot it seems for turkeys. I say why limit yourself. You can give your shotgun extended range just by switching to #2 lead shot, if it is legal in your area. Then you are not limited to head shots.

Anyway, tungsten extends this range even further. It is heavier than lead, and the small diameter of the shot, coupled with the heavyweight of tungsten, allows better penetration, in my estimation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:51 am 
Presentation Grade

I bring in 18g/cc shot from China for guys on a few boards. Primarily for turkeys.

It's expensive. The next batch is running $46/lb. I provide lab proven data to guys who go in with me to get the shot. I have .410, 28, 20 and 12 ga data. Mostly turkey loads, but also lighter ones.

Size #6 is a good size for coyotes, but much too big for turkeys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:57 am 
Utility Grade

Hawglips
I am in NC as well, near Hickory. I can be contacted at mgv250savage@gmail.com . I may be interested in some tungsten, pop me an email when you have time.
Thanks
mike

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:10 am 
Utility Grade

The article in Handloader magazine about Tungsten Super Shot appeared in the October 2007 issue and was written by Wallace Labisky. Link for this issue http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/i ... ?magid=546
250savage