CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens 350
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 am 
Utility Grade

Anyone own this? Opinions?

Last edited by renthal on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Stevens 350
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

The real Ithaca 37 is not and I have no desire to own a Chinese copy. Ithacas are made in the US and I have no desire to have a cheap clone in my house.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm with oletymer... you couldn't pay me enough to buy one more POS from the commies...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry I cannot justify paying $800+ for a Ithaca Model 37 shotgun. It's not rocket science making shotguns these days.

I love how this turns into "I wouldn't put a Chinese PoS in my house". Funny thing is prolly 2/3's of the sh!t in your house is Made in China. I doubt Savage would carry it if it was a PoS.

Anyways back to the question, anyone own one and what is your review?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:40 am 
Crown Grade

then don't! But, just joining the forum with a total of two posts makes me scratch my head with your arrogance. $800 bucks retail for an authentic Made in the USA Ithaca 37 is a no brainer. But then, some people wear gold painted fake Rolex watches fresh in from China! LOLOL...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:47 am 
Field Grade

I'm not sure how much you've searched, but I found this reviewer who seems to like it
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 211&page=1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

right! An AR15 forum full of cowboys. Yes sir, lots of shotgun experts there! LOLOL...

PS: How long do you think that impostor would last after a year of clay shooting. Huh, what was that!?!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

renthal wrote:
Funny thing is prolly 2/3's of the sh!t in your house is Made in China.

Yeah, and most of it is indeed "sh!t" as you yourself said. You can buy a good used, genuine Ithaca model 37 12 gauge for about $300. There is no reason to buy an inferior Chinese copy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

lossking hit the nail on the head! I go out of my way not to buy Chinese. They're bleeding us dry with our lopsided trade policies. Besides, who wants inferior products made by helpless 15 cent and hour children working in slave shops...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 am 
Limited Edition

I love Ithaca's, they are gorgious guns in both fit and finish. Unfortunately...

...The day Ithaca offers a $300 dollar synthetic stocked 12 gauge pump with 28" barrel and screw in chokes, I'm in, I can't justify $799 for their waterfowl gun. No wood, no blueing, should have no big price tag. And none of that free floating mag tube bit with a staked barrel like on the new defense guns. Better yet Ithaca needs to get off the one trick pony show and start making some more shotguns. I'd much rather buy a fresh off the line NID then a M37. The vast majority of the world will never pay $800 for a pump gun, ever. The day Mossberg makes a bottom eject pump gun is the day Ithaca closes its doors for the final time.

In the mean time the chinese, Norinco, are manufacturing a $300 dollar gun for what it is a $300 gun.

I wouldn't feel bad about buying a savage 350 for a beater shotgun, its not like you stimulating the chinese economy more then if you had bought a chevy pickup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, and the day Remington makes a cheap pump is the day the Wingmaster becomes extinct too, right? You get what you pay for, and a brand new $300 Chinese shotgun isn't much. If you think $800 is high for a new, finely made and machined model 37, you would be shocked at what it would cost to manufacture and market a brand new NID.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:08 am 
Limited Edition

lossking wrote:
Yeah, and the day Remington makes a cheap pump is the day the Wingmaster becomes extinct too, right? You get what you pay for, and a brand new $300 Chinese shotgun isn't much. If you think $800 is high for a new, finely made and machined model 37, you would be shocked at what it would cost to manufacture and market a brand new NID.

Except the wingmaster is almost extinct. The Express outsells the Wingmaster hand over fist because its cheaper. The Express is also a turd in comparison and the chinese build a better 870 turd copy. Ontop of that the 870 is Remingtons cheap shotgun, it caused the phase out of the Model 31 which is a side eject version of the Model 17 made to compete with Winchesters model 12. The model 17 is the gun that the Ithaca M37 is a copy of.

Yes $800 dollars is high for a finely made and machined pump shotgun with a 28" VR barrel with choke tubes, a flat black finish and plastic stocks. Especially when the only differeance between that gun and the $500 home defence gun is the barrel and the lack of a barrel nut. While its only $100 so dollars more to get nice wood and a blue job that shines like a mirror. Time for them to start making a cheaper field model or they will be out of business again once the baby boomers start to die off at a more rapid pace. I already own several Ithaca guns, nothing seems to entice me to buy a new one.

Renthal; The Stevens 350 is a completely functional copy of the Ithaca M37, minus the name. For the $225 they ask for them, they are worth every penny as its the same design that Browning thought up all those years ago. Its a black gun with plastic stocks, so the only fit and finish that counts is the one that makes it go bang. Even an under-payed asian machinist can get those within speck.

Oh by the way its called an industrial revolution, we had one that took almost 200 years, the chinese are moving through theirs finally and at a greatly excellerated rate. Give it another twenty years and chinese goods will no longer be cheap. Same thing happened to us folks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:37 am 
Utility Grade

McDerry wrote:
lossking wrote:

Except the wingmaster is almost extinct. The Express outsells the Wingmaster hand over fist because its cheaper. The Express is also a turd in comparison and the chinese build a better 870 turd copy. Ontop of that the 870 is Remingtons cheap shotgun, it caused the phase out of the Model 31 which is a side eject version of the Model 17 made to compete with Winchesters model 12. The model 17 is the gun that the Ithaca M37 is a copy of.

Yes $800 dollars is high for a finely made and machined pump shotgun with a 28" VR barrel with choke tubes, a flat black finish and plastic stocks. Especially when the only differeance between that gun and the $500 home defence gun is the barrel and the lack of a barrel nut. While its only $100 so dollars more to get nice wood and a blue job that shines like a mirror. Time for them to start making a cheaper field model or they will be out of business again once the baby boomers start to die off at a more rapid pace. I already own several Ithaca guns, nothing seems to entice me to buy a new one.

Renthal; The Stevens 350 is a completely functional copy of the Ithaca M37, minus the name. For the $225 they ask for them, they are worth every penny as its the same design that Browning thought up all those years ago. Its a black gun with plastic stocks, so the only fit and finish that counts is the one that makes it go bang. Even an under-payed asian machinist can get those within speck.

I was going to pickup a 870 Express but I've heard all kinds of bad things about them lately. Anyways I took my chance with the 350, couldn't pass it up for the price.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:50 am 
Limited Edition

M37 stocks will fit the 350 with minor fitting is you don't like the amount of drop in the stevens setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I think the Stevens 350 has been maligned here somewhat. I'll try to make my case.

First, I believe there are more than one variant of the firearm in question. I purchased mine in 2011, for $219 on-sale, at a firearms dealer in Ohio. I don't know if that helps or not.

Second, it is made in the People's Republic of China, and if that is a show-stopper, then I understand. Clearly, I wish it were different as well. American companies seeking economic advantage drive toward manufacturing where raw materials or labor costs less.

That said - there is no way, the firearm I obtained, a Savage Arms 350 Security Pump could be called a POS in any capacity.

There are cons and I will get to those. Also, understand that I have this firearm as a back-up shotgun to a Remington 870 Wingmaster in Police/Riot configuration.

Lets start with what is good. There have been trigger complaints, but I didn't find this. The trigger was smooth, with almost no creep, and crisp let-off. It was not heavy.

I did not find a problem with the magazine spring either, although I agree a heavier one would probably be great. Additionally, the tube WILL take five shells, despite what anyone says - now, I will note that I was shooting 2.75 inch shells and not 3.00 inch shells, so there may be a difference there.

The receiver is heavy steel, and the barrel is a monster as well. Easy take down for cleaning. Bottom eject is great, and I like the wide cross-bolt safety.

I found the best feed and on-target performance for security was with Winchester Super X Low Recoil Buckshot (9 pellets). I believe this to be an excellent compromise for stopping power without over-penetration to outside walls. It also makes for a great follow-up second, third, or fourth round, etc. I will mention I had some more difficult extractions with S&B 12 Ga. Buck, but every firearm is a machine, and some do better with one ammo type than another. In general I have found S&B very good. Winchester was much better here.

Now for the cons:

The single biggest con, and it can be overcome with training, is this: The slide lock will not release the forend unless the forend is FULLY forward. If there is ANY rearward pressure on the forend the slide lock will not release. So there you find yourself, furiously pulling back on what you believe is a jammed-gun, but you only need push the forend forward, and activate the slide lock.

Sometimes this is a natural tendency (and you won't find this with an 870), but you must train yourself this way. I think this may explain some of the "lock-ups" we hear with the firearm.

Second, the slide lock is too sharp, and too small. I'd like to see something wider and with more authority so to speak. Not a fan.

Third, the finish - this is not a blued gun. The finish is entry level, and I wipe it down completely with a Hoppes #9 silicone gun rag if I touch any part of it. A bit of Rem oil down the barrel, and a light coating of the usual suspects won't hurt either.

Get a snap-cap (and lightly oil it) for the firing pin. Probably is not needed, but if you want to trust your life to a shotgun, it is not a bad idea. I like A-Zoom.

That is about it. I don't think you can go too wrong with this firearm if you train with it, and understand the idiosyncrasies it has. Every firearm has those - even the most expensive.

Often people would like a rating ... 1 to 5 or some number of stars. I believe if you understand this weapon and take care of it - you won't find that it will fail. It will not fail. Do those things, and it will be a five. Ignore it, and expect a three, or worse.

Good Shooting.... Insure you won't ever need it. Good Doors, Good Locks, Good Lighting, and Good Dogs! Firearms .... the last resort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wal Mart sells the Mossberg Maverick 88 for under $200 everyday. And for the money, the Maverick is completely reliable, durable, usable American made shotgun with plastic stocks and not much polish or finishing. There's really no need to buy an inferior imported shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 pm 
Utility Grade

The Maverick line of shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas using some foreign (Non-USA) manufactured parts, mainly from Mexico; which contributes to their relatively lower price in comparison to the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns which is assembled and manufactured in the USA.

With nearly any firearm, if the cost is low, some or all is outside our borders.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

My posts here are not about U.S. versus Foreign made. We seem to not demur readily when the names are Browning, Sig-Sauer, Walther, Beretta, Heckler & Koch, and oh, yeah, .... Glock ... made in Austria. I don't normally hear "inferior" associated with any of these brands. We import them, we carry them, we laud them, and we don't complain one bit that they were not made here.

Sure, I'd rather see our U.S. military forces (all of them) with 1911 A1's, Kimber's perhaps, or maybe the newest Ruger, but our military selected Beretta many years ago.

My posts remain only about the technical advantages or disadvantages of the Stevens 350.

Rather than be dismissed via their origin, my suggestion is to address technical advantages or deficiencies of this shotgun directly. I find it a utility work-horse while understanding some limitations. If there are those that do not ... then please explain why in technical or tactical terms.

If it can protect my home, I don't care if it was manufactured in Siberia. Certainly, I would always prefer U.S. manufacture.... but if that is not the reality, then what I have is what I have before me. Period. Ask a Glock owner.

But now, across our nation, many are broke. People are weighing a cost-choice in difficult times, for a significant defensive firearm. Where it was made will not assist them in this decision. What it does well and what it does poorly might be our most useful contribution in posting.

Just Saying....

Waiting now for the flames.......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I am kinda new here. What I have seen on this thread is a guy asked a legitimate question and gets flamed on by the buy American crowd. This site advertizes itself as the "friendliest" then you jump on him? Shame! With modern CNC MIM etc, why can't American mfrs compete? They can and they should. Maybe they do, I don't know that US gun industry is doing that bad where they really want to compete. Perhaps they should produce more of the less finished copies of their old favorites.