CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of a pristine Winchester Model 120 Ranger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I live in one of the more rural areas of Oregon and recently received as a gift a Winchester Model 120 Ranger 12Ga. pump with a 28 inch smooth bore ribbed barrel incorporating the Winchoke system, including all 3 chokes; Full, IMP CYL, and Mod. The stock appears to be Walnut I think, the shotgun can fire 2 3/4" and 3" shells. The Serial number stamped on the left side of the gun is: L1580745.

The shotgun was apparently purchased by the original owner and never used before then being sold to a local gunshop where it sat in the back of the store for many years until my step father came along looking for a decent pump action for me as a B-day gift. My step father walked out of the old gun shop with the shotgun for under 200 dollars.

To be absolutely clear the Shotgun has never been fired. I have it now in the Original, though a tad worn out, box it came in as well as all the original instruction booklets and little pamphlets and registration cards. All these are unmarked and look almost new, heck the original shipping paper was still in the box too. And while one of the chokes was already in the gun the other two, along with the choke wrench, were still in the original winchester stamped vinyl storage bag.

The shotgun itself is in as close to pristine condition as a country hick like me could ask for. Not a single spot of rust or corrosion, the bore is perfectly clean, the action is as smooth as a baby's bottom, choke's are easily taken in and out, and the finish looks factory fresh.
The only detectable imperfection in the gun is a tiny ding the size of strawberry seed roughly 4 inches up the right side of the barrel.

My questions are simply how old is this Shotgun? What's its potential value to a collector? And what is some basic history about this model?

I am currently debating selling the shotgun to some one who could appreciate it more than I would. But I am also of a mind to keep it since it was a gift and is a magnificent firearm.

Post subject: Re: Value of a pristine Winchester Model 120 Ranger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:38 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

well, the gun was made prior to 1964. There is little or no collector value, even with the box and paper work. The absolute top end value would be about $200. In reality, it would sell in the $100-$150 range.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

The Model 120 Ranger pump was the econo/entry version of Winchester's post-64 Model 1200 shotgun - but I seem to remember the Winchokes being introduced later, like 1969 or so.

It was stocked in Walnut-finished Birch, and concurrently sold as the Sear & Roebuck Model 200 & the somewhat fancier Ted Williams M-200.
They were discontinued well before the Win M-1200 was replaced with the Model 1300 in 1981, AFAIK.
They might have had to go away after the early 70's, when Sears dropped carrying guns. The loss of a huge customer like that would have put a huge spike in the Ranger shotgun production line, I would think.

BBV, in 100% original condition = $200, +/-.

Last edited by CriscoKid on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:46 pm 
Field Grade

Keep it and shoot it. It's not a collectible and is worth no more than what your step-father paid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Well if that's really all its worth then I guess I'll take you Gentlemen's word for it and go break the sucker in this weekend by blowing some clay pigeons to H.E. double hockey sticks. Kinda hard to believe though that a shotgun manufactured over 20 years ago and in this condition is only worth about $100-$200, especially considering that only 5000 of this series was ever made....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Old doesn't equal valuable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

There are generally 4 requirements, for a decent/high value.

They are, in order of precedence:

Demand (someone has to want to pay good money for it)
Rarity (make it more valualable than a similar bretheren)
Original condition ( refinish doesn't count)
Age ( some newer items are worth more than some older ones, se above)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Well,
Judging from the manufacturing number it was made in 1985.

Just bought L2074018 (late '87) for around 300$ complete with all chokes, the model usually goes for 200 +/- as previously mentioned. But I was looking for a pump action and really liked the model.