CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ruger brought the small (.357) frame Blackhawk out in .44 Special in 2009. Do any of you have one or have you shot one? It looks like just the ticket for clanging steel.

Opinions?

Post subject: Re: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 pm 
Limited Edition

On my wish list. I had a ruger 44 mag years ago which I shot 44 specials in. Sold it off because it was too big for my hand, which was strange because 1911s and other milsurp guns fit me just pervfectly. Also sold off a German Hawes 44 for no good reason--it had all the charm the Ruger lacked. Sounds like Ruger finally got the message.

I have a taurus 44 sp for my house gun to back up my Moss 500. It would sure be nice to have this ruger for a backup for the Taurus when I travel.

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

Post subject: Re: Re: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nody wrote:
Ruger brought the small (.357) frame Blackhawk out in .44 Special in 2009. Do any of you have one or have you shot one? It looks like just the ticket for clanging steel.

Opinions?

Dude you were at gunstock. There was one there by our own DCX2 and a conversion by our buddy tex.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 pm 
Limited Edition

you might want to brouse http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/ for more info.

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

liljake82 wrote:
Dude you were at gunstock. There was one there by our own DCX2 and a conversion by our buddy tex.

That's what has me interested in getting one. :D

Anyone for EF tomorrow about 1 pm? I'll be at the pistol range.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I owned a Blackhawk .44 Mag, Stainless, with a 7" barrel. What a monster! I'm not really sorry I sold it. I won a couple of local slow fire tournaments with it while using .44 Specials. With .44 Mag rounds the gun just plain hurt to shoot.

If you want to knock down steel, this is the right machine. I'm not buying another until I have all my other gun "wants" filled. That will be some time yet because I only have 2 now, and the list is long. :wink:

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

Post subject: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's the point Ras... The Super BH IS a monster. The relatively new .44 Special is on the small frame and is sweet recoiling.

It's funny to read all the forums about .44 Special vs .45 Colt. Everyone wants to "magnumize" both, which defeats the purpose.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wait a minute. DC had his .44 BBH at gunsite right? You shot it too. That is a dandy, I shot it in Sept and am still hot to aquire one. That sweet push on the back side? That would be the Bisley configuration. I would like to run some real medicine through one of those. Do that with a standard BH and the feeling engendered is some different. Beides, you would have no shortage of .44 sp cultists to yammer with, and that's a true story!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Thank goodness for a friend like texnekkid to guide this purchase of my first single action revolver (I've owned more than 50 handguns in the last quarter centrury). With his guidance, I knew that I would end up with the right gun the first time. I have no regrets at all. I dig the Bisley features (extended grip frame, low hammer and enahnced trigger). The .44 Special has quickly become my second favorite caliber (as some here already know, I recently added a S&W 24-3 to my collection; my second .44Spec.). And I'm blown away that I could purchase such a fine firearm (with soul, even) for under $500. After aquiring my Ed Brown Special Forces, I wasn't sure I could be this satisfied with a production gun. And satisfied I am!

Now to spend the funds and time getting it to look as pretty as texnekkid's .44Spec. conversion which planted the .44Spec. seed in my mind to begin with! :D

COGITO, ERGO ARMATUM SUM

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well David you are now an official cult member, you gots two of em.
The 24 will hold all manner of little blue pills, leggy stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like them all. It grieves me that no one likes my favorite big caliber. S&W Model 57 (no dash) in 41 mag with 6 inch barrel. Here is a little history for those that like such things.

Smith & Wesson Model 57

The Smith & Wesson Model 57 is a large frame, six-shot, double-action revolver with a six round cylinder, chambered for the .41 Magnum cartridge, and designed and manufactured by the Smith & Wesson firearms company. The intended target market segments included law enforcement agencies and civilian firearms enthusiasts.

Development

In the early 1960s, Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, and Skeeter Skelton, all noted firearms authorities and authors, lobbied Remington Arms and Smith & Wesson to introduce a new .41 caliber police cartridge with the objective of filling a perceived ballistic performance gap between the .357 and .44 Magnums, thus creating a chambering which they believed would be the ultimate for law enforcement purposes. In April 1964 Remington responded by introducing the .41 Magnum cartridge, and in concert, Smith and Wesson launched the Model 57 revolver chambered for the new ammunition. Elmer Keith originally proposed the Moniker ".41 Police" for the new cartridge, but Remington instead chose to call it the .41 Magnum, hoping to capitalize on the notoriety and popularity of its earlier Magnum offerings.

Features

First introduced in April 1964, the Model 57 was produced with 4", 6", 6-1/2", and 8-3/8" barrels in both highly polished blued and nickel–plated finishes. Using the S&W large "N" frame, the Model 57 was one of the companies’ premier products, offering superb fit and finish, basically the same pistol as the famous S&W Model 29, except in .41 instead of .44 caliber. Like the Model 29, the 57 sported a red insert front sight with a white outline adjustable rear iron open sight, as well as a target trigger, target hammer, and oversized wooden target grips.

Ammunition

Remington originally offered two ammunition loadings in its .41 Magnum cartridge lineup. The first was a full-power 1300-1400 ft/s hunting or heavy-usage jacketed hollow-point bullet which rivaled the stopping power of the mighty .44 magnum while boasting less recoil and a flatter bullet trajectory. The second loading was a less powerful 1,150 ft/s 210 grain lead semiwadcutter intended for law enforcement usage.

Market response

Due to a number of factors the .41 Magnum unfortunately never became the "next great police loading" that its developers and supporters envisioned. First, the majority of departments and rank and file officers were perfectly content with their traditional .38 Special revolvers, and if more stopping power was needed, cartridges such as the popular .357 Magnum were available. In addition, when senior peace officer officials could be convinced to evaluate the .41 Magnum, many complained that even the lighter .41 magnum "Police load" was unpleasant to fire, while the .357 Magnum offered adequate performance without the bruising recoil and muzzle blast associated with the .41. Also, the marketing decision by S&W and Remington to dub the cartridge a "Magnum" ended up working against them in their desire to address the law enforcement market. Police organizations found the connotation of a hi-powered "Magnum" hunting-type weapon to be unpalatable in an era when they were struggling with political correctness and pursued positive public relations to offset any possible public perception of police brutality. Although the .41 Magnum was adopted as a police departmental standard by a few cities such as Amarillo and San Antonio TX, most chose to pass. In addition, introduced in the shadow of its limelight-grabbing 'big brother' the .44 Magnum Model 29, the Model 57 struggled from its onset to garner much market share. This gap widened further when Clint Eastwood used a "Most powerful hangun in the world" Model 29 in the popular film Dirty Harry. In the aftermath of the film's release, many contemporaries of the .44 Magnum, including the .41, somewhat fell out of favor with the general public and American firearms market. Finally, a series of hugely popular and successful lighter and smaller-framed revolvers crafted from stainless steel emerged in the mid 1980s. These police-issue oriented firearms, exemplified by models such as the S&W Model 66, accelerated the Model 57's demise. Overall, the Model 57 and its variants failed to generate the interest (or sales) which had been hoped for.

Variants

Recently appearing on their website, Smith & Wesson have reintroduced the model 57 in their new classics line: it comes in blued and nickel finishes, in a 6" and a 4" inch barrel length. It costs $1,074.00, which is much cheaper than its similar model 29.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =227915918

This seems pricey. What do you guys think? Not many .44 Specials out there used.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nody,
That seems kinda steep to me as well. I've seen them at 5 550.
About .41 mag. I got one. It's pretty stiff. Cops didn't take to it because of the recoil and blast. But it is one of those wonderful b@$t@rd children, not unlike 16ga or 6.5 Sweede. deals can be had!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nody,

If the seller can VERIFY the special edition status, AND it is in a walnut presentation box, as it appears, It might be near worth the asking price. That said, I don't think with it being a ruger, that it will be going up in value anytime soon, Ruger just makes too many, at too low a price to make an impact in the collector market. JMHO.

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
http://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

870shooter wrote:
Nody,

If the seller can VERIFY the special edition status, AND it is in a walnut presentation box, as it appears, It might be near worth the asking price. That said, I don't think with it being a ruger, that it will be going up in value anytime soon, Ruger just makes too many, at too low a price to make an impact in the collector market. JMHO.

Agreed, and I'm a shooter, not a collector.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have done alright on three screw guns, but the new stuff will wait a long time for any big bubble. Nodes m man: Buy it, take it out of the pretty case an shoot it! Or, buy the standard version and spend a buck and a half on ammo, it won't take long. 40 bucks a box for Cowboy action loads. Not that those are not plenty good enough in .44 sp. As you will soon learn for your self Grass Hopper.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Heeler,

Next thing we know he's gonna be looking for a portable reloading set up that he can put in the flight case! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

870shooter wrote:
Heeler,

Next thing we know he's gonna be looking for a portable reloading set up that he can put in the flight case! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea 870! TSA freaks when they see primers, however. :(

Man faces prison in Fla. airport primer case

Quote:
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MIAMI -- A man is facing a prison sentence in Miami after admitting that he illegally transported bullet primers that ignited in the cargo hold of a jetliner.
Federal sentencing guidelines call for a roughly three-year sentence for 38-year-old Orville Braham. A sentencing hearing was set for Tuesday morning.
Travel was disrupted Dec. 28 at Miami International Airport when Braham's luggage containing some 1,000 bullet primers ignited. Braham was on a Miami stopover between Boston and Jamaica when the incident happened.
Braham pleaded guilty in February to illegal transport of explosive and hazardous materials. No one was injured.
Braham's lawyer is asking for leniency, noting that Braham never intended for the primers to ignite and that Braham has never been arrested before.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/03/2 ... z1LHvDUQVT

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nody,

I saw first hand the incompetence of TSA when after attending the Vintager's meeting in Baltimore, several years ago. bought a rosewood cleaning rod, and chamber brush, for my 10 bore, and had a "shell" shaped brush cover on it, with rose wood handle. Had it in my carry on luggage, and had to stand there for ten minutes holding up the line, explaining to them what it was!

haven't flown since!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Smokeless powder is not considered an explosive, per se. Primers are absolutely classified as such - at least by the Feds.