CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kent Silver Steel and All Purpose Precision Steel.
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Although I am not a kent fan, because of the dud shells I have had in the past, I am curious if anyone has patterned these or possibly used the All Purpose last year. The Silver Steel is new for 2011. I am curious about the Silver Steel because it is similar by description to Remington Nitro Steel, and I am curious about the All Purpose because its cheap. Any info or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Kent Silver Steel and All Purpose Precision Steel.
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

The only steel duds I have had were due to wet shells. Fasteel is an excellent product, so is the all purpose. I would expect silver steel to to be of equal quality/performance.

If you do have issues with shells, contact Kent CS.....they are great folks and will make it right. The only issue I ever had was a primer come out of the primer pocket after firing, jamed my X2. E-mailed them, they asked for the remains of the box...which I explained was only 2 shells. I sent them in and 2 weeks later 2 full boxes of shells showed up.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

There s no doubt kent makes quality stuff but I am prone to be in some rough and tumble places and its not if but when I will completely soak my shells. Kents just seem to dud more per box than others. I shot 2 cases of Remington sportsmans last year and only one shell didnt fire for me luckily it was a shot that was going to be spent on a cripple.Anyway I was just curious of how these two loads performed for people or patterned which ever.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I understand correctly, the silver steel is in the Gamebore line. Not sure how available it will be. I would be interested to try it...especially the biodegradable wad.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

http://www.kentgamebore.com/product_guide.pdf check this out its the 2011 kent product guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used the Silver steel in BB on a recent goose hunt and they are devistating on waterfowl. I have been using Kent steel loads for 4 years and they didn't let me down, these silver steels are 10 times better than fasteel (which is a great shell).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:17 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

What makes it 10X better?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
What makes it 10X better?

The box is pretty?

Check any and all forums and you will clearly see that I have and will continue to use Kent Fasteel for my primary waterfowl hunting loads, with few if any exceptions made for testing purposes only. Over quite a few years of hunting I have found it to be consistently reliable without issue in my firearms and hunting conditions. I have not tried either of your options listed in this topic Ranger07, as i have had no reason to thus far, and I will not (being the cheap b@$t@rd that I am) pay a extra $20.00 per case for a load that goes slower and not in the shot size I prefer. I mostly use Kent 3", 1 1/8 ounce of #4 shot, @1560 fps for all of my duck hunting, and #2's for geese over decoys. I did find on sale at Cabelas some Kent, 3 1/2", 1 3/8 ounce #4's at 1550 fps....it works great as well.
I use the most open choke I have (.004 constriction) and would use cylinder bore if made available. Any duck inside 40 yards cannot get away if I center him in my pattern and #4's have plenty of power to blow clean thru their heads and necks at that range with plenty left over!
I hunt some pretty nasty conditions and have never had one (Kent's) fail....yet.....and hope it never happens, but anything can go wrong especially with wet/soaked shells!!! Just be careful and check that barrel if you hear something not right!

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I use kent for all my waterfowl hunting, good quality shells. The silversteel pellets are plated. Cabelas has a sale going on
http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammuniti ... -box.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammuniti ... case.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:34 am 
Diamond Grade

You mentioned misfires with both Kent and Remington. I hae had no misfires with any factory shells that is the shells fault. I had one experience where I forgot to properly close the breech on my Benelli and actually made a long shot on a wood duck when I pushed the bolt forward. I jump shot them and tried to make less noise when I got out of the car as it was late season. I had to walk around the pot hole I did not shoot from a road. To be honest it sounds more like the gun than the shells. The Kent 2 3/4 inch Fast Steel in 4's worked very well for me on wood ducks and I would not hesitate getting some more. Plated shot is supposed to eliminate rust from storage and lubricate the shot to prevent bridging and pattern better. I use it for handloading but have gotten excellent results with non plated shot as used in Estate shells, cheap Federal shells and Kent.

DP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm a big fan of the new silversteel i don't have any cripples with them. The ducks just fold up. I need to cut on of them open and a fast steel open to compare tho

Post subject: Kent Silver Steel and All Purpose Precision Steel.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It rained ducks this morning!
Ranger, how'd u do in AR?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 am 
Utility Grade

i have never personally used kents and i dont think i will ever after watching my buddy have 3 misfires out of one box of shells.i have shot plenty of shells and never had a misfire and ive got lots of shells wet.just my opinion not trying to start a war about this.