CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Express (model: 25077) - Appropriate Ammo?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 am 
Field Grade

New to the site, but very interested in reading into what you all have to offer to someone new to shotgunning such as myself. I've been an avid pistol shooter and just bought my first shotgun. I'm sure my inquiry is probably beat to death, but I figured the "general" forum would get me the answer I'm seeking the fastest.

I now own the standard Remington 870 Express (model 25077) with a 7 round capacity. I have some Winchester Super-X 2 3/4" #4 and #6 for the range (my range doesn't allow anything larger than a #4). Until I make it out to another range, I'm curious as to what rounds are alright for my shotgun. Or maybe it'd be better for me to ask "What rounds should I NOT put into my 870?" Obviously I have no magnum, so I wouldn't even attempt it. Flechettes I hear are bad. What about "high velocity" and/or "high brass" rounds? Is that considered as part of the "magnum" family? When looking into 3" rounds, I see a lot are "high velocity," so I was wondering if these are alright should I choose to try'em out. Before I buy anything other than a basic standard round, I'd like to hear some clarification as to what is proper for my shotgun. I contacted Remington about this, but never heard back. I'm sure there's a plethora of good information within all the posters here, so please... enlighten me. :)

-Chris

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Express (model: 25077) - Appropriate Ammo?
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

25077 is shown as having a barrel with 3" chambers and a fixed cylinder choke.

You can safely shoot any factory 12-gauge 2 3/4" or 3" load. Gun and ammunition makers use the same industry specifications for maximum pressure.

In shotgun shells, "magnum" and "high velocity" are marketing terms with no strict definition. Look at the actual velocity and shot payload weight to see the differences.

"The Remington Guide to Shotguns" here has good basic information:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... loads.aspx

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:58 am 
Field Grade

Are you implying that I CAN shoot a magnum load if I chose to do so? My barrel is stamped 2 3/4" to 3". So if I find a 3" magnum shell, it'll be alright? I was told that I needed to have a gun classified as a "magnum" in order to shoot them.

And thank you for that link. That's good information. Something I'll print out. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

You can fire ALL 3 inch, and 2.75 shotshells.
DO NOT fire 3.5 inch.
The 3 inch, and 3.5 are magnums.
The difference in Regular 2.75, and Magnum 3 inch,
is the number of pellets in each shotshell.
Magnums will recoil more.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:19 pm 
Utility Grade

If it is a fixed full choked barrel I would stay away from steel shot shotgun shells.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CA-Chris wrote:
Are you implying that I CAN shoot a magnum load if I chose to do so? My barrel is stamped 2 3/4" to 3". So if I find a 3" magnum shell, it'll be alright? I was told that I needed to have a gun classified as a "magnum" in order to shoot them.

And thank you for that link. That's good information. Something I'll print out. :)

When the 870 was first introduced, the standard chamber was 2 3/4". 3" versions were considered "magnums". Now 3" chambers are standard.

When in doubt, look at the stamp on the barrel. Barrels can easily be swapped on 870s and many other shotguns. 2 3/4" shells in 3" chambers is fine, but do NOT use 3" shells in 2 3/4" chambers. There are still a lot of older guns and barrels with 2 3/4" chambers.

Do NOT use 3 1/2" shells in 3" chambers.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:37 pm 
Field Grade

So the only benefit to having an 870 stamped as being a "magnum" means that you can shoot 3-1/2" rounds?

In other words, if I wanted to fire these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66335-5.html through my 870, I could? If so, then the guy at my range didn't know what he was talking about. With that being said, he seemed to probably specialize in handguns and not so much shotguns. He kinda gave off that demeanor when asking questions. He said only a shotgun labeled as a "magnum" could shot rounds labeled as a "magnum."

So in the end, the only thing I have to worry about is simply not putting a 3-1/2" round into my shotgun, correct? I can shoot anything else my lil heart desires? My receiver won't blow up in my face or anything. Just an aching shoulder? :wink:

Thanks everyone thus far the replies.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 am 
Utility Grade

CA-Chris wrote:
So the only benefit to having an 870 stamped as being a "magnum" means that you can shoot 3-1/2" rounds?

In other words, if I wanted to fire these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66335-5.html through my 870, I could? If so, then the guy at my range didn't know what he was talking about. With that being said, he seemed to probably specialize in handguns and not so much shotguns. He kinda gave off that demeanor when asking questions. He said only a shotgun labeled as a "magnum" could shot rounds labeled as a "magnum."

So in the end, the only thing I have to worry about is simply not putting a 3-1/2" round into my shotgun, correct? I can shoot anything else my lil heart desires? My receiver won't blow up in my face or anything. Just an aching shoulder? :wink:

Thanks everyone thus far the replies.
If you have a magnum only shoot 2-3/4" or 3" shells. Super Magnum you can shoot 2-3/4", 3" or 3-1/2"

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 am 
Field Grade

As I said in my initial post, I don't have a "magnum." I have a brand new standard 25077 Remington 870. It's barrel is labeled 2-3/4" to 3". I'm just trying to clarify if it's alright for me to put a magnum round into my shotgun as long as it's within the parameter of the said measurement. I know not to put a 3-1/2" round in. That's common sense, but some shotguns are labeled as a "magnum." Mine is not, but from what I'm gathering, most people seem to be saying it's alright for me to go ahead and use magnum rounds. I'm not to this and trying to do it the right way rather than regret it later. Forgive me if my seeking clarification is somewhat repetitive, but since Remington never got back to me, I'm relying on the veterans to tell me otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:34 am 
Utility Grade

CA-Chris wrote:
As I said in my initial post, I don't have a "magnum." I have a brand new standard 25077 Remington 870. It's barrel is labeled 2-3/4" to 3". I'm just trying to clarify if it's alright for me to put a magnum round into my shotgun as long as it's within the parameter of the said measurement. I know not to put a 3-1/2" round in. That's common sense, but some shotguns are labeled as a "magnum." Mine is not, but from what I'm gathering, most people seem to be saying it's alright for me to go ahead and use magnum rounds. I'm not to this and trying to do it the right way rather than regret it later. Forgive me if my seeking clarification is somewhat repetitive, but since Remington never got back to me, I'm relying on the veterans to tell me otherwise.
If it is marked standard on the reciever then it is 2-3/4". If it is marked Magnum then it is 3" and if it is marked Super magnum it is a 3-1/2".

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The handgun shooter may have been thinking of common handgun interchangeability issues. You can safely shoot .38 Specials in a .357 Magnum, but trying to shoot .357 Magnums in a .38 Special would be a disaster. The .44 Special and .44 Magnum are similar.

Part of the confusion here is that Remington has made 10 million 870s over the years, with a huge variety of receiver markings and barrels. Not all 3" receivers are marked "Magnum"

Remington currently makes two basic receivers -- the 3" and the 3 1/2" Super Magnum. The Express, Wingmaster, and Police all use the same basic 3" receiver.

The SAAMI pressure specification for 12-gauge shotguns is the same for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. It is higher for 3 1/2" shells.

From the current 870 manual:
NOTE: All Model 870™ 12-gauge barrels are interchangeable without adjustment, except the Model 870 12-gauge Super Magnum™ and Model 870 12-gauge Special Field.
WARNING! BEFORE LOADING, ALWAYS CHECK THE BARREL MARKING FOR THE CORRECT GAUGE AND CHAMBER LENGTH. NEVER USE AMMUNITION WHICH EXCEEDS THE CHAMBER LENGTH SHOWN ON THE BARREL.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 am 
Field Grade

700xcr wrote:
CA-Chris wrote:
If it is marked standard on the reciever then it is 2-3/4". If it is marked Magnum then it is 3" and if it is marked Super magnum it is a 3-1/2".

The word "magnum," nor is the word "standard" marked on the barrel. It simply says that it can utilize 2-3/4" to 3" rounds. My shotgun isn't labeled as the "870 Police Magnum" or anything like that. I just know I've seen rounds that are 3" that don't say "high velocity" or "magnum," and there are ones that DO. All I'm trying to figure out is can my 870 shoot the rounds that ARE labeled as a "magum" as long as it's 3"? I can't simplify my question any more than that. Sorry, guys, for being a pest about this. I'm learning.

And yes, I'm very familiar with the .357 analogy. That's more along my lines. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:15 am 
Field Grade

As stated above, not all 3" receivers are marked "Magnum", but it's still perfectly safe to fire any commercially produced 3" shell in your 870 as long as the barrel is marked for 3" shells. None of my 3" 870 receivers are marked "Magnum" but they all handle 3" shells just fine.

If your 870 (#25077) is still wearing the same barrel that came in the box, then you can shoot any 2.75 or 3" shell you find on the shelf. You won't hurt the gun all...but I'm not making any guarantees about your shoulder. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 am 
Utility Grade

CA-Chris wrote:
700xcr wrote:
CA-Chris wrote:

The word "magnum," nor is the word "standard" marked on the barrel. It simply says that it can utilize 2-3/4" to 3" rounds. My shotgun isn't labeled as the "870 Police Magnum" or anything like that. I just know I've seen rounds that are 3" that don't say "high velocity" or "magnum," and there are ones that DO. All I'm trying to figure out is can my 870 shoot the rounds that ARE labeled as a "magum" as long as it's 3"? I can't simplify my question any more than that. Sorry, guys, for being a pest about this. I'm learning.

And yes, I'm very familiar with the .357 analogy. That's more along my lines. :P
Straight off Remington's website on 870 barrels.
Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:56 pm 
Field Grade

HudsDad wrote:
As stated above, not all 3" receivers are marked "Magnum", but it's still perfectly safe to fire any commercially produced 3" shell in your 870 as long as the barrel is marked for 3" shells. None of my 3" 870 receivers are marked "Magnum" but they all handle 3" shells just fine.

If your 870 (#25077) is still wearing the same barrel that came in the box, then you can shoot any 2.75 or 3" shell you find on the shelf. You won't hurt the gun all...but I'm not making any guarantees about your shoulder. :)

I think this was the direct answer I was seeking. Thank you, HudsDad. The guy at my gun place was wrong then. I assumed that since my 870 wasn't stamped "Magnum" that it meant my receiver must not be built as thick or be able to withstand the pressure of these magnum rounds.

Now since it's being brought up, what about a "Super Magnum"? I don't even know if I've come across those yet.

And also, can someone tell me the difference between "high brass" and "low brass" when it comes to shotgun terminology?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:06 pm 
Field Grade

"Super Magnum" generally refers to 3.5" shells. Not prudent to try these unless your receiver and barrel are designed for them. Your 3" receiver and barrel are not built for those.

High/low brass refers to the height of the brass on the shell.

This picture shows a variety of "brass heights." Typically, the high brass shells have more powder for heavier/faster loads.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm 
Field Grade

HudsDad wrote:
"Super Magnum" generally refers to 3.5" shells. Not prudent to try these unless your receiver and barrel are designed for them. Your 3" receiver and barrel are not built for those.

High/low brass refers to the height of the brass on the shell.

This picture shows a variety of "brass heights." Typically, the high brass shells have more powder for heavier/faster loads.

Good to know. Thanks for that bit of info. So I'm good to go with all rounds that are 2-3/4" to 3" whether they are "magnum" or not. All I need to stray away from is anything 3-1/2" and/or "super magnums." Got it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Magnum and Super-Magnum do not mean anything anymore...

Your gun shoots 2 3/4" and 3" 12 gauge shells, no matter what they say for payload or speed, or what ever else the box is spouting to get you to buy it.

Remington use to put Magnum on their 3" guns when the 3" was new. Last I knew they don't make a 2 3/4" reciever anymore. They put Super-Magnum on their 3 1/2" guns just like Mossberg (who with Federal came up with the commercial 3 1/2") put Ulti-Mag on theirs. The ammo doesn't say Super-Mag or Ulti-Mag it just says 3 1/2" 12 gauge.