CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Citori History
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:39 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the quick answer to my post last night. I thought I would pry into this wealth of knowledge on this forum again. I think the citori was built beginng in 1973?? What is the difference between a citori and a superposed? Is a superposed a better built gun than a citori? Or is it just a less expensive version? Which gun do you guys think is a better gun? And, did they make a superposed with invectors? Also, 1 last question, why is it when I post something it goes thru twice and I see 2 posts? Again, thanks guys for all your knowledge.

Post subject: Re: Browning Citori History
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

Some history:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... de=C-015-6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:57 am 
I have read this page, Clay dust, and I date my gun as a 1991 with a long tang grade VI.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

I started shooting in 1968, got into clay targets regularily in 1970 so my "early" years fall right into this time period.

I think the citori was built beginng in 1973??

Yes, this is correct, about the same time they brought out a "Liege" model, a less costly Belgian version (which was not sold very long). The Midwest history page shows the various "generations" of the Citori from 1973 - on.

What is the difference between a citori and a superposed?

They are very similar in function and design, the most immediately recognizable difference is the Citori's fore end is removed for take down, the Superposed's slides foreward but stays on the barrels.

Is a superposed a better built gun than a citori? Or is it just a less expensive version?

Get ready for the arguments :shock: :wink: :lol:

The Superposed made today is a very costly product of basically, for lack of a better word, a custom shop and its fit and finish should be near perfect.

The Superposed of 30 years ago was a production gun that was comparatively less costly and more common, this is the gun I remember and will refer to.

I was told when I was in my teens, "you will never wear out a Superposed and that they are trouble free". There was a man, recently passed away, that I knew that had one from the time I met him in 1970 until he passed away in 2001. His shot loose and had some of the more common issues; loose ribs that had to be repaired. His missed the "salt wood" problem.

The old ones are nice guns, that like some other models, have earned a good reputation but like all things, they have their "issues". In some cases, IMHO, the expectation and perception exceed the reality.

Which gun do you guys think is a better gun? And, did they make a superposed with invectors? Also, 1 last question, why is it when I post something it goes thru twice and I see 2 posts?

The Citori's I have seen apart have a better internal finish (i.e., fewer tool marks) in the action than the old production Superposed. Bear in mind, I have not seen a huge number of these guns apart so this is a limited observation.

I have seen Citori's with a lot of rounds through them and they seem to be just fine.

And, did they make a superposed with invectors?

Not "back in the day" as far as the production Superposed goes, Invectors came in in 1984, long after the Superposed was basically a custom proposition.

I watched the Superposed go from something that was on most gunshops racks, costing marginally more than the competion in 1970, to something a few years later that was quite pricey. Had the Citori not come along, there would not be very many Browning o/u's in the hands of target shooters and hunters as ther are today.

Some people still have the "made in Japan" thing but that is not me, I have no issues like that. Any gun I have bought or used that was made there has been very well made and finished for the price.

IMHO, the Citori has given us a nice looking, serviceable gun at a price most of us can afford. It has build up a great reputation on the clay target ranges where they are used to fire 1,000's of rounds per gun per year.

I am currently "kicking tires" and would quite happily buy a another Citori; that is if I don't decide to get a BT99 to complement my Citori Grade I Trap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Let the arguing begin!!LOL.
I have a 1959 Belgium Superposed, the first "good gun" i bought. I saved for a long time to buy it, back in the day when making the rent on time was a big deal!! Granted it is not of the grade that one sees every day on the shelf at the local gun store. Likewise it is the only shooter I have that is not for sale.
i personally have never enjoyed the feel of the citori, it feels clublike to me compared to the superposed. My opinion of these 2 is the exact opposite concerning quality.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the citori, but I will always be a superposed guy.
mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:55 pm 
Crown Grade

In regards to two issues;

Ibex wrote:
1.) Let the arguing begin!!LOL.

2.) i personally have never enjoyed the feel of the citori, it feels clublike to me compared to the superposed. My opinion of these 2 is the exact opposite concerning quality.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the citori, but I will always be a superposed guy.

1.) I should have been more clear, I will not bother to be involved in the arguement; I was refering to the way these questions can be grounds for one.

My opinion on the matter is made up and will not change, not will that of the diehard Superposed enthusiast. It is a waste of time IMHO to argue about these things.

2.) If that is the way you feel about them, the Superposed is what you should be using. That is the great thing about shotguns, there seems to be something out there for almost everyone, based on their own experience and expectations.

Those that prefer the older Superposed's should be pleased with those of us that like the Citori; they will not have us to compete with us, trying to purchase Superposed's from the finite stock of older guns out there on the market. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:56 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I like the "single-double" trigger on my old Superposed guns from the 30's.

Post subject: Well developed post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Claydust that was an excellent post on Citori. A lot of fact, with just enough opinion to keep it interesting!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:49 am 
Field Grade

I coudn't agree more with Remington II, Clay dust thank you for taking time out of your busy day to give me such an informative answer. I have always been a fan of the A5 and have 3 but, have also always wanted a citori. My first o/u was a nikko shadow that I put briley thin walls in and just love, but it wasnt a citori, I saw a grade VI 12 ga. and fell in love with it. Now I guess (or my wife hopes) my shotgun life is complete.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Simpler answers:

1) They did not build ordinary Superposed's with invector chokes.
2) The Superposed was a Belgium built model that ran approximately from the mid 1930's to the early 1970's.
3) The Citori is a Japanese built model that came out around 1970.
General thinking is that the Citori would be the "cheaper built" version of the 2.

I have 1 of each. The Citori is a fine, solid gun. But, primarly because of the invector barrels, is heavy and clunky in comparison with a Lightening Superposed with its ultra thin barrels and lighter receiver. Both are heavier than a winchester 101 though.

Be hard to argue that the Superposed is a "better" gun than the Citori, particularly if you want one gun to do everything(translate that interchangable chokes). But I would not trade my Superposed that I hunt with for a couple of Citori's.