CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Flues 16 gauge double parts
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I was wondering if I could tap into the knowledge base on here.

I'm looking at a shotgun for a neighbor. It's his grandfather's Ithaca Flues SxS 16ga. I took it apart and it looks like the person who had been in there last put the right hammer in wrong and bent the left hammer's leg so that it pushes off the trigger plate quite forcefully when the trigger plate screw is out and the hammer is not cocked. They also buggered up the head of the trigger plate screw just enough that my screwdriver slipped and eventually I got it out, but I need a new screw for the trigger plate. I can't put the gun back together until I get that screw.

Of course both these parts (left hammer and trigger plate screw) are out of stock at Numrich. Where can I find these parts? Are they the same across all gauges?

I'd really like to fix this for my neighbor. He and his father want to fire it again. That brings up another question, what loads should I recommend to him? I know it probably shouldn't shoot modern pressure level loads as the gun was made in 1916. The barrels say 'smokeless powder steel' on the top but what was the pressure level of a smokeless powder load of the day?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Flues 16 gauge double parts
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

The gun most likely wasn't designed for 2 3/4" shells so to save the headache of cutting hulls and reloading, just buy shells from polywad or RST. They will be the proper length and they will be low pressure designed for such guns.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks!

Now on the parts, I noticed another part that is broken, I'm not sure what it's called, but it's attached to the barrel assembly and cocks the hammers when you open the action. It's broken off so it won't cock the hammers at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Numrich actually has the cocking plunger but it says limited quantities. So all I need is the trigger plate screw and the left hammer.