CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Requesting info: Iver Johnson Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

As a firt-timer, I hope I'm doing this correctly! I'm looking for info on my Dad's Iver Johnson single-barrell shotgun, pull-back hammer. The barrell is 30", the top is ribbed (solid with/to the barrell). Other than the Iver Johnson name above the owl's face on the "shoulder pad" the only marking is what I think is the 5-digit serial number at the base of the trigger guard beginning with 6xxxx. Dad used his shotgun well (rather successfully I might add!) and it shows. If I remember correctly it's a 12-gauge - Dad would never let me shoot it 'cuz of the kick! I have so enjoyed reading the postings on the Iver Johnson shotguns and can relate to many of them. Any info shared from folks out there would be greatly appreciated especially since I am getting ready to pass the shotgun along to my son-in-law. Thx, all . . . have a great day!

Grani-007
(In honor of my 7-grandchildren!)

Post subject: Re: Requesting info: Iver Johnson Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 am 
Crown Grade

Your description matches an Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works made Matted Rib Single Barrel shotgun which was made from 1917 to 1941. Sorry but there are no serial number-year made tables for this gun. The Blue Book of Gun Values gives the following values for this gun. The percentage figure is for the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood.
100%-$315, 98%-$255, 95%-$260, 90%-$200, 80%-$1745, 70%-$150 and 60%-$125.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 am 
Utility Grade

Thx for the info. My gues-timate of the age of the shotgun based on the made dates and Dad's birthyear, is between 85-90 years. Next: not being as familiar with this shotgun as I am of his Remington rifle, please advise how I can determine the gauge for sure.

Have a great day!
Grani-007

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look on the barrel it should tell you, I think my old Special Trap did. If it doesn’t, get a 12 ga. shell and slide it in, if it fits it’s a 12. If that one is too big go to a 16 and so on. May be a 2 ½” chamber though. Best bet is to take it to a gunsmith and let them tell you.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Rather that trying to get a selection of shells and fitting them to the gun, take the gun to a gunsmith ,dealer or friend who knows shotguns and ask them. You don't have to take the whole gun, just the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:27 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks y'all for your input . . . great information!!
Other option: send it to the son-in-law along with a print-out of these exchanges and let him figure it out! Besides running around LA (Los Angeles) with a shotgun barrell probably isn't the best thing for me to do.

LIVE well - LAUGH hardily - LOVE heartily -
HAPPY SPORTING!
Grani-007

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

It should be marked right on top of the barrel near the breech. At least the four old Ivers I have are.