CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington RXP Hulls
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Folks:

I am relatively new here, and have had great experiences with this forum thus far. I am also somewhat new to shotgun shell reloading. I have MEC 600jr. loaders for 12 and 16 ga.

My question is this.... I have read here that data/recipes for Remington STS, Gun Club, and black Game Loads are basically the same. I have a large quantity of older (early 1980's) RXP 12 ga. hulls. These are in excellent shape, and I hate to throw them out. Would the same data apply as for the other, more current hulls?

Any information on this would be quite appreciated. I am reloading lower pressure target loads (1oz., mid 5000's PSI), primarily for older double barrel guns.

Thanks,

Jeff

Beretta Silver Hawk 12
LC Smith 16
Remington Model 1889 12
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12
Remington 870 Wingmaster 20

Post subject: Re: Remington RXP Hulls
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

Slightly less capacity than STS, Premier, AAs. I loaded them the same as the AAs I was loading. RXP12 made a better fit than AA12 wads. In fact, before dedicated 1 ounce target load wads were available the AA12 wad in the RXP made for about the best combo for one ounce target loads. Suspect TGT12s and Figure 8 will be a tight fit.

Dunno a thing about low pressure loads.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You won't find any recipes in 1 oz light loads in the old RXP hull. Light loads were not available back in those days. I have many older reloading books from the time and the only 1 oz loads are high velocity. They are excellent hulls. But they definitely have less capacity than the STS etc. hulls. I don't know if the "all Remington hulls load the same applies to them." But I just use the old 1970's-1980 data.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been reloading old RXP's along with current Remington hulls using the same recipe. I've been using about 17 grains of Red Dot (I'm at work so I don't have the exact amount), 0.9 ounces of shot and a AA12 clone wad. Everything fits and crimps well. Have also used TGT12's in the past with good results.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

They had thick plastic's for one thing,but loaded real nicely.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 am 
Diamond Grade

JeffBibb wrote:
My question is this.... I have read here that data/recipes for Remington STS, Gun Club, and black Game Loads are basically the same. I have a large quantity of older (early 1980's) RXP 12 ga. hulls. These are in excellent shape, and I hate to throw them out. Would the same data apply as for the other, more current hulls?

Any information on this would be quite appreciated. I am reloading lower pressure target loads (1oz., mid 5000's PSI), primarily for older double barrel guns.

Jeff-

Conventional wisdom on this forum is that any Remington 12-ga 2-3/4" one-piece plastic shell can be reloaded with the the same recipes to produce the same results of pressure and velocity. This includes the current STS, Nitro, Sport Load, Gun Club, Shur Shot, Game Loads, blue Gander Mtn-Peters, and some Express hulls, along with the older RXP (blue and green), Blue Magic, Peters Target, and Premier hulls.

This opinion is reinforced by the grouping together of recipes for the STS, Nitro 27, and Gun Club hulls on the Hodgdon site's reloading data pages. Alliant groups together with the same recipes these hulls: "Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)".

The only caution might involve using a recipe in an older hull that is published as a maximum load in a current hull, and vice versa.

This is not a problem for you because you're working at the opposite end of the scale, trying for minimum recoil (velocity and shot weight) and pressure to avoid battering the older guns.

Lyman's Shotshell Handbook third edition lists a number of one-oz loads for RXP hulls specifically, on pages 154-155. Contrary to a post above these are not all fast loads; about nine recipes are shown for velocities of 1200 fps or less, with pressures in the mid-7,000 lup range and less.

Good luck.

--Bob
(By the way, nice shell bags!)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:48 am 
Field Grade

Gentlemen:

Thanks much for your quick and detailed responses. This was exactly what I was looking for. I thought they were about the same, but just wanted to double check.

I have been using one of the low pressure recipes in the Hodgdon manual which is about 20.5 gr. of SR7625, 1 oz. shot, Winchester WAA12SL wad, Federal 209A primer. In the Remington hulls, this is about 1150 fps, and 5300 - 5400 psi. It is probably not as clean as some others, but it shoots well for me, and is low recoil.

Now I can add the RXP's to the mix.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Beretta Silver Hawk 12
LC Smith 16
Remington Model 1889 12
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12
Remington 870 Wingmaster 20

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I load all Remington and AA hulls with the identical components and press setting with the exception of the primer seating stem. I load DR XL-1, 18.2 Gr of Promo with one oz of shot. No I've not run any over my chronograph. I believe they will run in the 1250 fps range though. The RXP was/is a great hull. Maybe even better than the great "old" CF AAs, and that's saying something.

BP

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Today I loaded 300 intermingled RXP's, Gun Clubs and STS hulls using the same recipe. No adjustments were needed to my Sizemaster. All the crimps were just fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jmclaren wrote:
Today I loaded intermingled RXP's, Gun Clubs and STS hulls using the same recipe. No adjustments were needed to my 80's 762 R Grabber. All the crimps were just fine.

In my case, 1 oz and 7/8 oz skeet loads. I make no changes to the loader for this mixture of hulls.