CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: used Remington 1100s
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm 
Field Grade

With the 1100 so long in production, used models are readily available at lower costs than buying new. I'm new to semi-auto shotguns, but I have no qualms about sending my 1911 to this particular gunsmith, my rifles to another, and my old S&W revolvers to another. So it would seem logical that a Remington 1100 would be a "safe buy" because parts were plentiful and they're common enough that you could find a smith to work on one.

Is this thinking true? Or can a used 1100 be worn out to the point that it would be less trouble to buy new?

Post subject: Re: used Remington 1100s
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can get a very good used 1100 but I have noticed on a good one you still pay around 6 or 7 hundred. And if you buy online you have to add shipping and the FFL fee.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn't buy a new 1100. If you're buying new, there are many better guns.

I had an 1100 that I bought used.

I'm sure one can be shot-out, but if the gun ends up costing you more than you wanted it to, that's probably not why. You can probably tell if a gun is THAT beat -- and as you said, there are lots of them out there, so you don't have to buy one unless it's in really good shape.

The pitfalls of a used 1100 are these. Mine had a cut-down stock, and I wanted to return it to full length. So I had to buy another one. A used one wasn't too expensive but it added to the total price. But a lot of the older guns have fixed-choke barrels that won't safely shoot steel shot. If you want to shoot target and bird loads, as well as 3" steel waterfowl loads, you'll need, or at least want, two barrels. A barrel isn't free.

If you really want an 1100, get a used one. I can't see paying $700 for one, though. Not even close.

If you want a multipurpose autoloader, you can just get a more modern gas-compensating gun and be done with it. I've seen some pretty nice Beretta 390s, walnut and blue, for as little as $450. They will shoot anything from Skeet loads to 3" waterfowl loads, without adjustment, and they have screw-in chokes that are readily available. A newer design, they also have nicer triggers, better gas systems, better controls for the field (1100 controls are a bit more convenient at the range), and they're generally a bit lighter than the hefty 1100.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the forum Suburban. I will agree with you that an 1100 is a "good buy" for the reasons you state in addition to them historically being considered reliable and good shooters. I think it's safe to say that almost any shotgun could mechanically be worn to the point that it is not cost effective to repair, but I believe it's more an issue of maintenance and care (or lack thereof) instead of actual round count with the 1100.

I am still using the same three 1100s (two 12 ga one 20 ga) that did double duty for my Dad in registered skeet and bird hunting in the seventies. After he got a K-32 for competition we hunted duck and dove regularly with those guns for the next 20 years. My wife and I used those same guns to begin shooting skeet a few years ago until we both switched to O/U. I now loan those same 1100s to beginners I take to the skeet club and hunting with me. I've only had to replace one part on one of those 12 gauge guns in all that time. No gun rag is gonna put them on the cover for their beauty anytime soon, but they just keep going as long as I keep them clean and lubed. I say get an 1100 and don't look back.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

suburbanman,

Yes, 1100 Remingtons can be fun project guns for the reasons you stated. Barry is correct in that if you plan to do a lot of modification to an older 1100 the inital condition and starting price are key to keeping it in a rational range. I've made several 4H Clay Target guns out of low cost/donor 1100 field guns and the all are still in competion.

2 critical things to look at: 1) take the forearm off and closely examine the condition of the magzine tube. 2) examine the action bars and the inside of the action for any ware honed--really sharp edges. The mag tube must be rust and ding/dent free to work well. Sharp edges in the action usually indicate a 'high mileage' gun with a worn reciever.

There are a couple of nice 1100/1187 for sale on Shotgun World (remember that shipping and FFL transfer fees can add up. I'd buy the Remington Sporting or the Remington Competion for sale on this site in a moment if I did not have 1/2 dozen 1100 all ready and a new Synthetic Competion on order.

BTW Barry really likes Beretta, which are agood option if you want a used gun but not nearly as 1911 ish as the 1100s. And lack the classic status of the 1100. What ever floats your boat.

Shoot well and PM if you'd like to persue this topic further.

FS

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot pistols competitively. I would not compare an 1100 with a 1911. Nobody shoots a 1911, anyway. We shoot 1911s with nearly every part improved in some way.

I had an 1100 before I got any Beretta autos. I sold the 1100 because I didn't use it any more. The 390 is a superior design, and experience with both guns made that clear.

As a caveat, I see an auto as a power tool, not something to be enjoyed simply for its aesthetics. There's something neat about some of the old 1100s, that newer autos don't match. Yeah, it's a 1960s bowling alley aesthetic, but the 1100 does seem "classic" in ways that other guns don't. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Totally agree with Central FL Mike...

As a long time user of 1100's, I think your logic for getting one is spot on. Because of their production numbers, there's all kinds of them out there in assorted gauges and styles. IMO the Sporting models are the best looking 1100 Remington has ever made. I've bought 4 of them in the last 3 years and love them. Polished blue finish, excellent wood, and great reliability.

Check out all the brands, but if you find a nice used 1100 don't hesitate to buy it. They are still an excellent shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why don't you just order the new cometition like me. It's a great value and Remington will hit a homerun with it. Check it out.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

you have to look hard for a super buy on an 1100. For example, I picked this one up this past winter. First generation gun 1975 in absolute mint condition. Came with a 28" barrel choked Mod. Picked up an additional 26" skeet barrel just a few weeks ago. As for Beretta autos, you can keep 'em all. Had three and sold them. The 391's gas system is a complete joke. And, you can keep the cheap black Walmart gun too. BTW, checkout the purchase price of the 1100!! :)

here it is with the NOS 26" skeet barrel which I got for $100 bucks!

and here's what I paid for the gun!!! :) LOLOL...

GREATEST autoloader ever and that includes the A-5...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

You won't find many deals like that. When I said 6 or 7 hundred I was talking late model 1100's like the sporting models that cost a grand new.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

The only thing you would have to worry about with an 1100 is how to keep coming up with more shells to feed it! But if you ever do need one, you might want to find a smith that can/will work on them first, maybe it's a regional or B-gun thing but there aren't to many competent Rem smiths in my neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:49 pm 
Crown Grade

you're right remoil, the new sporters list for over a grand, but still worth it. Easiest auto to take care of, soft shooter and well over 3 million sold. I was very lucky to get that peach for $200 bucks. $500 is a reasonable price for a good used 1100...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you like Berettas and they fit you better, go for it. They don't me; I like 1100s. As to whether they are a superior design I think that is merely a matter of opinion. One company keeps coming out with "more superiorer" designs one right after the other, and the other has stuck with something that works fine for 48 years. Make up your own mind.
Sharp internal parts are not a sure sign of wear in my opinion. I have one with probably less than 300 rounds thru it and it will cut your finger every bit as quick as my 1963 model or the others. Remington does not round off the edges - it works fine as is. So don't run your finger inside the receiver to clean it.
If you take your time you can find a relatively good deal on a used 1100. I got a cherry 1966 Magnum 3 years ago for $450 delivered and was very happy. But, Slugo has bragging rights (and exercises them) on deals. Biggest thing I would watch out for is one that looks terrific on the outside but was put away dirty in a damp environment, and the magazine tube is real rusty and/or pitted. Otherwise, if it looks good, it probably is. If something is bent, you can get any part in it except bolts and action bar assemblies and trigger groups pretty cheap.
I have taken one (1) 1100 to a gunsmith many moons ago when the feed latch fell out. He didn't even charge me to restake it and i had a recoil pad fitted - I don't do anything intricate with wood well. I made paper for decades and the trees are still trying to get even. I have replaced many parts on many, many others myself. An 1100 doesn't need gunsmithing like a 1911. It just needs shooting and a 5 minute or less spray and wipe of the gas parts before you put it away usually.
If you do not have any mechanical abilities at all I would advise against any semi auto. The recalcitrant ones of all makes will invariably find the mechanically challenged to torment.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a 1983 vintage 1100 last summer in excellent condition for $375 w/ a fixed mod choke. I traded the barrel plus $75 for Rem choke barrel (w/ mod choke) and bought an IC choke for skeet. Couldn't be happier.

The only issue I have is that it doesn't like light target loads. I have to shoot 1-1/8 oz. loads to keep it humming. Since I reload my own, it's no problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

how about it. $375 for a world class auto, and it will go another few decades with a little love and care. Or, you could have wasted $1200 plus for a new Beretta 391 auto!!! LOLOL...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought an 1100 for 750. Wrote Remington to find out it's a 1987 production model. Must say that my scores haven't been great since I've got it but boy does she shoot nice and easy. Mine came with a magnum recoil pad and ported barrel (I am now aware that many do not consider this part a plus). It's my first shotgun and I watched a video on YouTube and read the post here on sw about cleaning it and was done stripping, cleaning and reassembling in one hour, first time out cleaning a shotgun. and she is pristine. I really love it, think I got a decent deal, enjoy shooting it, and am confident that with minimal care it will last literally forever as far as I'm concerned.
Great gun for the price I think, and it's clear it's a workhorse.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

The past 2yrs.

1981 LT20 28" fixed mod. like new. 300.00
1994 LT20 28" dbl. bead Remchoke, very good cond. 400.00
1995 remchoke 26" dbl. bead Target Barrel only. 100.00
1979 12ga. 30" fixed full, very good cond. 375.00
1992 12ga 28" Remchoke, like new. 425.00
1984 26" dbl. bead skeet barrel only. 125.00
1985 28" dbl bead fixed mod. barrel only. 125.00

total $1850.00

Also,1956 12ga. 28" fixed mod. WINGMASTER + 20" slug barrel 95% condition 325.00. Added a 30" Remchoke barrel last month with 2 chokes 150.00.

Bought a sweet VERONA "FAIR" 20ga. 28"o/u like new with box for 475.00 out the door a couple of years ago.

I love them all and have no regrets. :D :D
Deals are out there you just have to be patient.

B.

Last edited by HoosierBob on Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

HoosierBob, now that is a spectacular collection of Remington products... :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Slugo,

Thank you sir!! :)
I have been very fortunate the past few years. Also a bit obsessive of late! :oops:
I'd also like to add I really enjoy your post. You, Virginian and several others have given me alot of insight with your posts. I hesitate to post very often as I'm a bit thin skinned when it comes to my Remingtons and don't take the "bashing" some like to give as well as you gentlemen seem too.
I would like to say that I look forward to my first Beretta (303 or 3901) but that can wait as I really don't have time to shoot what I already have.

Loved your pics, Nice shooter! {hs# Did you wear a mask when you bought that one?? 8)
If you'll keep posting I'll keep read'n.........

B.

Post subject: used Remington 1100s
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wow slugo that's a real beauty even at 3x that price. You done good! That's wonderful wood grain on that stock. We should all be so lucky. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

I agree with most on here that the 1100 is a joy to own and shoot.