CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L.E.LEWIS & SONS side by side
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:59 am 
Field Grade

hi can any one help me out with this one??

any idea on value on this
Thanks Sam

Post subject: Re: L.E.LEWIS & SONS side by side
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

Take a close look at it and see if it is a G.E. Lewis & Son instead of L.E. Lewis.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was just about to ask the same question as albanygun :) .

If the name is in fact G E Lewis there is some history on them.
Reading from my best reference book : - " George Edward Lewis (1829-1917), Gun and Riflemaker at Bath Street, 1850, Lower Loveday Street 1859 - 1908. (Both Birmingham).
In 1909 they became George E Lewis & Sons until 1989 and by 1996 had moved out of the Birmingham gun quarter to Halesowen.

Among the guns they produced was "The Ariel" lightweight weighing from 5 3/4Lb to 6Lb. The style and engraving is quite similar to the gun illustrated here.

Found another section in the reference book with a listing of serial numbers by date. If we are in fact looking at GE Lewis post the serial # and I can give you a date for it.

Value on these old guns is nearly impossible to decide without a hands-on examination. This gun was Nitro proofed when new but is it still in proof or have the bores been honed out to get rid of pitting ? Another area (that is not included in proof status) is barrel wall thickness where the wall may have been eroded from the outside by successive reblacking or struck off to remove dents etc. Another problem that seems to come up in the US is that the chambers have been lenghtened to 2 3/4", again that would put the gun out of proof.
Bottom line, it needs to be examined by a competent gunsmith in your area to arrive at a realistic value..

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm 
Field Grade

hi
the number is 12905
Thanks Sam

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That # would place it around 1912.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:19 am 
Field Grade

dose any one have a value from like 50% to 90%

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Sans Peur wrote:
Found another section in the reference book with a listing of serial numbers by date. If we are in fact looking at GE Lewis post the serial # and I can give you a date for it.

hi
number on my G.E. Lewis shotgun with hammers is 7795. Can you please tell me when it was made?
thanks sens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That # would date 1888 or 1889.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Nice looking gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Utility Grade

Sans Peur wrote:
That # would date 1888 or 1889.

Do you have any idea what is value of my G.E. Lewis shotgun with hammers (#7795)? It is in great condition, few years ago i used it several times for hunting without problems, and new i want to sell it.
Here are some photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r3ouy8lt8ud4zi3/QILlajEmLU
Thanks Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sam
It is virtually impossible to value a 120 year old gun without a thorough hands-on examination by someone with the appropriate measuring equipment and some experience of these guns.
There are so many variables I could spend all day listing them and still miss something important :oops:.
So bottom line, you really need to find an old-school gunsmith to look the piece over.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, this seems like the place for G E Lewis owners. I got an old GE Lewis Trap gun 35 years ago from my Grandfather and have never fired it as it has a significant cast and I shoot lefty but its in beautiful shape. My kids are soon going to be the firsts to fire after a long break in use. I don't really care much about the value (my kids can ask that when they get it in 20 - 30 yars) but I would like to know the date. It has the serial # 14845 I'm guessing 1910-20 maybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

According to my index your gun would date 1924 or 1925

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I appreciate the help dating. I actually took it out today for its first date on the trap field in well over 40 years. Some friends used it and loved it. They said it has a great feel. I took it to a really highly recommended gun restoration shop to see if he could bring it back to a neutral cast but they felt it wasn't worth the risk. Oh well. It will wait for the next generation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

By the way, MAKE SURE that the chamber lengths are correct for the shells you are using. Most OLDER guns (and many modern British guns) have 2 1/2" chambers. And remember, that's the FIRED LENGTH of the shells. New 2 3/4" shotgun shells fit in the short chambered guns because of the crimps.