CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .410 slugs for deer
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've never shot a slug before, but I have been considering it. Both of my 12 gauge guns have overbored barrels, so no go for them. I do have an H&R single .410 and a few friends have told me a slug in that would kill a deer just fine. I'd rather hear it from some folks with more experience like you all. So is a .410 smoothbore with a rifled slug good for deer or maybe not? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: .410 slugs for deer
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 pm 
Limited Edition

As long as you can get the deer to hold still while you stick the barrel in its ear a 410 slug will work fairly well. Seriously, commonly available 410 slug ammunition is about as potent as low power 38 special round nosed ammunition. 410 slugs are not very stable in flight so accuracy is an iffy thing as well. It is possible to kill a deer with a 410 slug and has been done many times but the most likely result is a miss or even worse, a wounded animal that is never found. I don't know of any reason why a foster type slug wouldn't work in your 12 gauges.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

You will need to check the hunting regulations in SC to be sure that a .410 slug is legal for use, and the choke on your .410. Will it kill a deer? Yes. Would it be a good choice? Not in my opinion. The .410 just doesn't have the length. You are much more likely to have a wounding rather than killing shot. I am sure there are .410 gunners out there who will attest to it as a veritable death ray, but, in my opinion, it is sub-optimal and potentially inhumane for deer in anything less than expert hands. I think you would do far better to look into the potential performance of Brenneke slugs in your 12 ga, or even sabot type slugs through a rifled screw in choke. I have to believe that either of these options would give better performance for deer than a .410 Foster, on top of which, I would imagine that your H&R is a fixed choke, somewhere between Mod and Full, through which you should not shoot slugs in any event.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

@BayouBob - I've got a 935 and a Versamax, both overbored barrels. All the info I've seen on the net says don't use slugs in these types of barrels. Haven't found any info saying otherwise, yet.

@RPRNY - If it's legal anywhere, it's definitely legal in SC. We have the most lenient hunting regs around. Aug 15 - Jan 1 with bow, rifle, shotgun (buckshot allowed also), muzzleloader. BUT, my .410 has a fixed full barrel so I don't think I'll be trying a slug based on you guy's feedback.

Thanks to you both!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I may humbly point you to my personal website (nothing for sale just my rambling opinions).

http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html

The 410 slug and hunting with it is sort of a hobby of mine. I have written quite a number of articles on 410 slugs and testing them and hunting deer with them at the above website.

I personally feel the 410 slug is adequate if the hunter can do their part. The hunter must put the effort into finding a setup that shoots accurately. Many 410 shotgun do not shoot slugs accurately and do not have adequate sights.

Spend enough practice time to be very proficient with their setup. The cartridge is margin in the energy department shot placement is very critical.

Most importantly have the self-discipline to hunt within the 410 slug's limited range. It can be a very challenging and rewarding way to hunt deer but it takes a focused disciplined hunter to make it work well. It is a short range deer cartridge. If you do everything right (hardware and meat-ware) your max range is going to be 60 maybe 70 yards, no more. You need to have the disciple to pass on a lots of shots you would have otherwise taken using a larger gun.

Some hunter's like the challenge of these limitation some do not.

mcb

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 pm 
Limited Edition

SC, Your least expensive option would be to get a replacement slug barrel for your 935. New ones will run around $200 and sometimes you can find a used one or a bargain for less. With a fully rifled barrel you have a slug gun that is good out to 100 yards with no problem and if you are hunting in the woods that's probably as far as the majority of your shots would ever be. I've got a rifled barrel for my Mossberg 9200 and it puts Hornady slugs in a 2" group at 100 yards.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 am 
Diamond Grade

MCB,

Interesting reading, your site. Lot's of good info on the subject presented in a cogent and objective manner. Good reading. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:54 am 
Diamond Grade

@ MCB - You have definitely covered the subject pretty well with your site. In fact, you covered it so well, I'm now convinced that I do not have the means to try deer with my .410 as of yet. Maybe in the future with different gear I would try, considering it seems to be a bit of a challenge. Thanks for the insight! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never tried .410 slugs on deer. In fact, I've never owned a .410 shotgun. However, going from memory of ballistic charts, I seem to recall that a .410 slug is roughly 200 to 220 grains in weight (about like a .41 Mag or almost as much as a .44 Mag) and the muzzle velocity is up around 1500 fps which is generally more than either the .41 Mag or .44 Mag when fired from a handgun.

Most handgunners would have no problem at all in recommending a .41 Mag or .44 Mag on deer when the shots are taken inside 50 yards, so why shouldn't the .410 shotgun slug be at least as lethal on deer at distances under 50 yards? When you shoot a deer, I don't think that he is going to know, or care, what type of gun you used.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

@Ulysses - If I could find some factory slugs with that weight and velocity, I would probably try them. Check out mcbirch's site.

http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html

I don't think you'll find a factory .410 slug over 115 gr. anywhere. I've checked Cabela's and Cheaperthandirt and couldn't find one. You may have seen a handloaded ballistics chart that had those specs.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SC,

It appears that you are correct. Apparently I didn't remember correctly. Sorry about that. :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Old eyes almost got me excited a few weeks ago. I looked at a box of Winchester 410 slugs and saw 1/2 ounce @ 1800 fps. That would be considerably hotter than most 44 maganum loads and long enough to be stable. Just before I checked out I put my glasses on and saw it was a 1/5 ounce slug. That would be like shooting at critters with an unstabilized 9mm.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:56 pm 
Field Grade

In some states a .410 for deer is outlawed, must be a reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mossy12 wrote:
In some states a .410 for deer is outlawed, must be a reason.

The opposite could be said, some states allow 410 slugs for deer hunting.

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.p ... 19&start=0

The above thread has a survey I did of state hunting regulations related to 410 slugs and deer hunting. I found that 22 allowed, 19 did not and 9 I could not determine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Update: I bought an 870 supermag a couple of weeks ago. Forgot all about my attempt at slug hunting until today. I got some .270 bullets at ACE and happened to see some Winchester 12 gauge 2 3/4" hollow point rifled 1 oz. slugs on the shelf. Got two boxes of those and away I went. I shot 5 rounds at a 12" by 12" piece of cardboard. Distance was about 50 yds. With just the plain bead sight and free handed shooting, I put all 5 in a 10" circle on that cardboard. With a better sight, a steady rest, and a couple more boxes of slugs through the gun; I believe I may be slug hunting this year! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

SC,

I'm new to slug shooting and use a supermag as well. If you happen to come across some 3" slugs you may want to try them. Some folks say that a 2 3/4" slug can get a little sideways in a 3.5" chamber causing it to not be as accurate. A longer 3" slug will fit the chamber better and not have as much "free bore travel". I have only shot a couple of boxes of each size but the 3" slugs patterned better for me.

my 2 cents
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hey Joe, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I actually saw some 3" slugs on the shelf, so I will probably get some next time there. I'm not recoil shy at all, but the gun needs a few minor stock adjustments before I shoot heavy loads anymore. The 2 3/4" slugs slapped my cheek pretty good a couple of times. I imagine the 3" slugs would slap it REALLY good! Thanks for the tip! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

You're welcome. I've been slapped in the cheek a time or two by the 3" slugs, not fun at all. It only happens every now and then for me though. They don't kick near as hard as a 3.5" load of 18 pellet 00 buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am 
Field Grade

mcbirch, reading your info on the .410 leads me to beleive that while it can be done by someone like yourself, most hunters don't have the disipline needed, and should therefore stay with the 12 or 20. JMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:36 pm 
Field Grade

One of my grandfathers favorite deer jacking guns during the depression was a bolt action Ranger .410 with a homemade, brass, v-notch rear sight that he shot .45LC through.said it was quieter than a 30-30 and from forty or fifty yards dropped them like a stone. I inherited the old gun from my father and still own it. I've shot a few .410slugs through it,but only at targets . it's fairly accurate for a smooth bore but when it comes to hunting I'm a 12ga. slug gunner myself.
stanc