CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hodgdon Titegroup Loading Data
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:23 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all! I have purchased a bottle of Hodgdon Titegroup (not Titewad!) and would like to reload some Fiocchi 2 3/4" 12g plastic hulls but can't manage to find a recipe to do so on Hodgdon's website. Am I ill advised to look for recipes from anyone but the powder manufacturer? Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Hodgdon Titegroup Loading Data
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

There isn't a lot of data for that powder for shotgun loads. It is mostly for use in handgun loads. I've started using in in most of my handgun loads in .380, 40 Smith, and .45 ACP.

No it isn't imperative that you use only manufacturer/distributors data for loads, but make sure the data is from a very reputable source.

BP

Post subject: Hodgdon Titegroup Loading Data
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

I see recipes for Rem GC and Win AA hulls but no Fiocchi. How different can the recipes really be?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

barig wrote:
Hello all! I have purchased a bottle of Hodgdon Titegroup (not Titewad!) and would like to reload some Fiocchi 2 3/4" 12g plastic hulls but can't manage to find a recipe to do so on Hodgdon's website. Am I ill advised to look for recipes from anyone but the powder manufacturer? Thanks for the help!

You have made the same mistake many new reloaders do. You go buy some components and then want a receipe to fit the components you bought.

It doesn't work that way. You find a receipe that you want to reload, and THEN go buy the EXACT components that the receipe calls for. Not the other way around.

NO, Remington data will not work in Fiocchi hulls. Two totally different hull designs. Federal data would probably work if it were listed, but it's not. You simply picked a very poor powder to use in various hulls.

You have two choices. Either get some Remington hulls and follow the data to the letter when reloading them, OR you can try calling Hodgdon's customer service line, and get them to quote a possible receipe to you.

Either way stick strictly to the receipe as written or quoted. You cannot change components in a willy-nilly way. Stick strictly to the receipe.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:09 pm 
Field Grade

DL,

While I definitely agree with your post, I should mention that I purchased the Titegroup to load Win AA hulls, for which a valid recipe DOES exist. I happen to have quite a few Fiocchi hulls on hand, and was just looking to put them to use. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Titegroup is a relatively dense powder perfectly suited for handgun loads. Meters well, burns clean, and is economical to use since fairly small/light drop weights perform very well. Only the burns clean characteristic bodes well for shotgun loads in Fiocchi hulls. Way too much room in the Fiocchi, or for that matter most any straight wall low base wad hull and too fast of burn rate in dense lite weight charges to work well in shotgun loads. Few exceptions exist, Remington and AA hulls being the very few exceptions.

Pitch the Fiocchi hulls, buy yourself a pistol to shoot it up in and then get yourself some Promo to load the shotgun shells with. You'll have the best of both worlds, a new pistol to load for and shoot and powder for your shotgun loads! Promo works very well in STS and AA hulls, I shoot a lot of it!

BP