CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breech stuck closed
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Beretta AL 390 and the breech is stuck closed with a spent shell inside the barrel. I was loading the gun with a spent shell to see how the semi-auto action worked. The breech is not stuck in the closed position and will not pull back. How can I fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Breech stuck closed
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have you tried removing the barrel?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, however to remove the barrel, the breech needs to be pulled back. The breech lever prevents the barrel from sliding out when it is in the closed position.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hit the bolt handle with a rubber mallet.

Learn how to use your gun on the range, with a qualified person teaching you, not by fooling around with empty shells.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:11 am 
Field Grade

I had this happen to my 391. what happens is that flap on the top (i dont know what it is called) of the bolt that comes up to keep the bolt "locked" before firing is dirty and is stuck upwards so when u try and pull the bolt back it doesnt go down to release the bolt. Once i got the bolt out i just cleaned that part and it works fine now.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:02 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I believe that you may be able to remove the bolt handle and then slide the barrel/bolt assembly as a unit out the front, after removing the forend etc.
Then you may be able to tilt the bolt body down enough to free the bolt from the shell and barrel extension.
Now get your cleaning rod to knock out that fired shell and avoid such situations in future.

Kirby
--------------------------
--------------------------

As a rule, note that some bolt handles are less forgiving to the application of strikes and the brittle ones crack right off (Mossberg semi- auto, for example).

Fired shells can create a jam by having some distortion present from firing expansion that is out of round due to the chamber, and any alteration to rotation (clocking) will place that distortion in a different position, so the high spot is trying to fit in a different and less roomy area.

The problem of using fired shells from another gun is the lack of any similarity and some make no issue, and some make a severe problem where the bolt wedges before it is even closed.

Dirt or crud on the locking block of the bolt may have a lot to do with a stuck bolt, or may have absolutely nothing to do with a specific instance.

I try to get readers to understand that them having anecdotal exposure to a situation is bound to be a limiting factor in gunsmithing diagnosis.

Titlestplayer had it right in relating that his issue was corrected by the cleaning he applied to the parts, once he had them freed. He was straight and to the point and it is up to the reader to understand that the problem of dirt removal may not be the cure for their problem.
He did not state that his issue was from using a fired shell, just that his bolt got stuck.
He did not add information that went beyond his specific condition.

Details of corrective action are just as helpful as details of problem specifics, such as shell type (economy, reloads, high-brass, etc.) and gun condition (new, just-purchased used, just cleaned by neighbor, etc.) and firing environment (range, wet duck blind, etc.).

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drsfmd wrote:
Hit the bolt handle with a rubber mallet.
:shock: Ooohhh, nooo!! :shock:

kirbythegunsmith wrote:
As a rule, note that some bolt handles are less forgiving to the application of strikes and the brittle ones crack right off (Mossberg semi- auto, for example).
Truer words were never spoken. Beretta bolt handles are brittle and subject to breaking. I have seen a lot of them broken in normal use.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:18 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the help. Titleistguy1 was correct; the locking block was stuck and the spent shell had nothing to do with the breech being stuck. I was able to oil it and with enough pulls on the breech lever the thing opened.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

kps,

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Glad you were able to get some useful advice to help solve your problem.

Now all you have to do is find a qualified person with a rubber mallet to teach you how to use your gun properly. LOL!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LOL, yeah, you'll find plenty of them at the range. hahahah :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Tittlistguy1. Thanks for the heads up. My bolt was stuck in the closed position and I was headed to the local gunshop when I read you suggestion. I oiled the bolt on my A391 and pulled a couple of time and it opened!
Thanks agian for saving me a trip.