CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC Grabber 762R HELP PLEASE.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought a well used MEC Grabber 762R off of another forum. I got what I think to be a great deal.

With that being said I am at my wits end with this thing. This was my first shotshell reloader (been reloading pistol cartridges for over 20 years). I since bought a Lee Load All 2 for my son's 20 gauge reloading. Since day one I have been able to load nice looking and functioning shells with the MEC as long as I only load one shell at a time. When I start to use it as a progressive press (loading up the carousel) my crimps go to pot in a hurry. A friend of mine suggested that one of the stages may not be seated at the right depth but I sure can't figure out which one it is.

I don't really shoot enough to necessitate the progressive press, but since the price was right It sure would be nice to not spend more time per week loading than at the range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get this working or perhaps sell it and put it towards another press.

I am loading Remington hulls (though it did the same thing with winchester) claybuster wads, with 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

Thanks in advance. In the mean time I will keep reading the forums and loading one shell at a time!

Post subject: Re: MEC Grabber 762R HELP PLEASE.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The first thing to check is to make sure your head is going fully down.
With the shell plate full of hulls as you reload, the screw head in the
front of the powder/shot bar,should just barely "kiss" the left side of
that slot it is in.If it is hitting it too hard it is stopping the die head from
full travel down.If this is the case,on the right side of the press is a rod
with a 10-32 self locking nut on it,drop the nut towards the bottom of
the rod to adjust the screw head to just "kiss" the left side of slot.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 am 

xcountry wrote:
I bought a well used MEC Grabber 762R off of another forum. I got what I think to be a great deal.

With that being said I am at my wits end with this thing. This was my first shotshell reloader (been reloading pistol cartridges for over 20 years). I since bought a Lee Load All 2 for my son's 20 gauge reloading. Since day one I have been able to load nice looking and functioning shells with the MEC as long as I only load one shell at a time. When I start to use it as a progressive press (loading up the carousel) my crimps go to pot in a hurry. A friend of mine suggested that one of the stages may not be seated at the right depth but I sure can't figure out which one it is.

I don't really shoot enough to necessitate the progressive press, but since the price was right It sure would be nice to not spend more time per week loading than at the range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get this working or perhaps sell it and put it towards another press.

I am loading Remington hulls (though it did the same thing with winchester) claybuster wads, with 1 1/8 ounces of shot.

Thanks in advance. In the mean time I will keep reading the forums and loading one shell at a time!

Please describe or furnish a photo of what you mean about "the Crimps go to Pot" and please tell where "the crimps go to pot". Please describe what the precrimp looks like( how big is the hole after the precrimp and is it a 6 or 8 point precrimper, Plastic or metal), then what the main crimp looks like( Crushed, How deep, hole in the middle, big swirl in the middle). Please list all components, quantity of powder and shot, exact model of wad. Exact hull.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:39 am 
Utility Grade

Steve and Curly,

Thanks for the help.

Steve,

I ran down to the loader to check hoping that maybe it was that simple. No such luck. The charge bar screw stops just short of the end of the opening.

Curly,

I will take some pictures. It will probably not be till after Saturday though do to some family obligations, but should be able to do it after then. For now I'll try to describe it better.
Like I said running one through looks almost like a factory shell. Running in progressive mode, when I get 5 shells on or more my crimps are not seated to anywhere near the depth they are when running one through at a time. I get more of a convex looking crimp. sometimes with an actual whole in the center. I usually end up setting these aside and then running them back through the last two crimping dies.

As for components.
I am using Winchester Primers, Remington Gun Club Hulls, 17.3grains of Clays powder, Claybusters WAA12 clone, and 1 1/8 ounces of No. 8 shot with a metal 8 point precrimper.

Thanks again and I'll get some pictures up. I am keeping hope alive that I can get this fixed and working.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am 

At first guess, I am going to suggest that you have worn out linkage links or bolts that is allowing the apparatus to push up under the load of more than one thing going on at one time. You can either replace the linkage or lower all your dies to get a good product with a full carrier.
When you get done you need to verify that the bar screw does just touch the left side of that window, or you may end up with bar lock function issues.
You may need to use thin washers to lower that precrimper body to get your precrimp to close up enuff to just allow room to put the small end of a primer into the hole or almost into the hole. This can change when switching from AA to Remington or back. There is somewhat of a difference in the length of those hulls.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Last edited by jtclays on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: MEC Grabber 762R HELP PLEASE.
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Since it wasn't mentioned, are you sure you are pulling the handle all the way down? I know it's a stupid question, but as more shells line up on the carrier, it takes more strength to bottom the handle out. You might not be doing this?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Last edited by jtclays on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jtclays wrote:
Gee, that sounds like a good thought :lol:

We all have them from time to time jt. :mrgreen:

Steve