CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good + Cheap Ammo for Skeet?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, "good" and "cheap" are usually mutually exclusive! What kind of skeet...recreational? If so, just about any of the cheap loads in #8 or #9 will work fine. Remington or Federal promos from WalMart are about the least expensive I've found. Some clubs offer Fiocchi, Rio, Kemen, etc. at cheap prices.

For me, it is reloads...though I rarely shoot 12-ga. If you intend to get very serious about shooting skeet (league, registered, etc.), then I suggest reloading. With that in mind, buy Remington Gun Clubs when they are on sale and save the hulls. Even if you don't reload, that may be the best option...sell the hulls for a couple cents apiece to reduce the cost a bit.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

The problem with buying online is the shipping added on makes many of the good deals go bad.Check your local sporting goods stores for sales and stock up.Any 12 gauge load under five bucks is a good deal--

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Walmart, Remington or Federal 100 packs, #8 shot.
Or their Federal 1oz GameShoks in #8s.
Avoid the Winchesters.
Have fun, be safe
CS

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claysmoke27 wrote:
Walmart, Remington or Federal 100 packs, #8 shot.
Or their Federal 1oz GameShoks in #8s.
Avoid the Winchesters.
Have fun, be safe
CS

Avoid the Winchester Universal, High Speed Dove or similar promo loads. Wal-Mart, is carrying Winchester Target, white box with large, red W on the front. These in 8 or 9 shot are great target loads. I've purchased a case of 1 oz 9s from time to time for my wife's O/U as Wal-Mart is the only place that stocks the 9s here. Academy has 8s, 7.5.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agreed. The Universals are BAD. However, the Super-Targets are pretty good. They have been used at the ACUI nationals to varying degrees for the past couple years. I don't remember hearing any major issues, and probably a couple hundred thousand were used in total.

Personally, I still prefer Remingtons and Federals, but they are not the same as the old Universals in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The OP asked for cheap. I was thinking of their Universal shells in 100 packs.
Yes, the Super Targets are OK, but more $ too in my area.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claysmoke27 wrote:
The OP asked for cheap. I was thinking of their Universal shells in 100 packs.
Yes, the Super Targets are OK, but more $ too in my area.

Winchester Universals as the single most problematic shell we see at 4H Shoots, unless you know that your gun will deal with the non-elastic head metal they are best left on the shelf.

Same goes for the Win High Speed Dove as loaded for Wal Mart.

Our strong preference in cheap shells--lets say $5.00 a box or near that is:

1. Federal Universal or Estate Branded or the WalMart brown box 4 packs. These are all the same shell. Just under $5.00 per box. Also the current Pink Federal (currently $5.25 a box) are excellent.
2. Remington Club. Excellent practice shells usually a few cents a box more than the Federals in this area.
3. Federal Promo (12 ga 1oz) 1290 FPS. Packaged and Field and Range.
4. Win Super Target hover around $6.00 per box. Currently $5.75 at the local Walmart.

RIOs work well if you have a source which will give you a break on price.

But we have gone to Federal almost exclusively--3 or 4 pallets a year for club shells and can happily report no issues across a lot of these shells regardless of gun.

When the Win Promos--Universals included get to below $4.00 per box they may be worth a try...if you know your gun will eject them--many do not. They are our shell of last result.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:14 am 
Diamond Grade

There is no such thing as bad target 12 gauge ammo for skeet. Cheap is good. Cheaper is better. #9s are generally used for skeet, but #8s in 12 gauge are just fine.

Stay away from field loads if you can simply because they tend to have higher velocities and more recoil.

Before you buy a 4-pack, compare its price-per-box to the price-per-box of a 10 box flat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For GOOD and CHEAP go to Walmart and buy the 100 pack of either Federal, Winchester, or Remington. They all work, never had a FtF, nothing wrong with any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

Out of a pump gun or gas pipe I would stay away from the Universals.

They all go bang, but have seen more than my share of failure to cycle a spent shell.

The super targets here are 52 by the case. Very good shell.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Someone mentioned the Remington gun clubs and one local store here regularly carries a Federal promo target load, I think they may be labelled "Top Gun" but I would have to checkk for sure. Those come in #9 as well as 8 and others and they cycle fine in my older 1100 plus they give good patterns. But they are $60 for a case which isn't outrageous but not exacly "cheap" in my book. That is about what the Win AAs and Rem STS go for at Academy, IF on sale AND with the factory rebate coupons.

Most of the cheapest promos around here at Walmart etc are full-house hunting loads but since it is an 1100, the extra recoil is really not that much of a factor so I would stock up on those #8s when available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Give Carl Emilson a call at 561-373-8192. He was at the Masters Shoot in Savannah this year and stated he could get the B & P Competition One shells in 7/8 ounce (7.5/8 shot) at 1160 fps delivered to your door for $57.00 a flat. I bought a flat of the #8 shot and will be using it in our next shoot in the 12 GA event. I already shot two boxes in practice and they break targets as well as my reloads when I do my part. That’s a very good price for good factory ammo if the price quote holds true. Let us know if you follow through on it.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A couple of other ideas:

If you have Academy Sporting Goods in your area, each August (in prep for Dove season) they have Win. Super-X silver box 1 oz for $39.90/flat ($3.99/box). They are higher velocity (3 1/4 DE/1350 FPS), which is more than you need, but if you have an auto or heavy gun, it shouldn't matter that much.

Another place to watch is Dick's Sporting Goods, if you have those. Though normally over priced, they regularly have sales on STS, AA, and Gun Clubs. With rebates I've paid as little as $3.50/box for top notch ammo.

IOW, watch the chain sporting goods stores, but avoid them unless they have a sale.

Another thing to think of: My range is out in the county, and sales tax out there is only 3%, not the 9% in town. Ranges/clubs are often outside of city limits.

As for the Universals, I have had good luck, and patterend them in my 1100 at 21 yds, finding them more consistent than the various Federal promos, and cleaner too…go figure? WM is normally $22.97/"brick," but occassionally they go on sale for $20.97. The Remmys are always a buck more.

I'm about at the end of my stock pile of AAs and GCs, and wondering which way to go? My range always has the white box/dark purple hull/steel head Federal Field and Ranges for $59.95 a flat, which is not bad. The F&Rs don't wow me, stink and are dirty, but they are handy, with no rebate hassle, etc, and I'd rather help the range stay solvent, than Walmart.

I went to Academy today. Federal 3 1/2 DE Game & Target, 12 & 20 ga, $4.99/box.