CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone load the Lee 1 oz slug?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

okay,using Lee's load info that comes with 1oz mold and using AA hulls with the WAA12F114 wad and not the max powder load of 36 grs. but lets say 33 grains,with the reduction in powder the wad seats too low to crimp out right, if I go down to 32 or less grains the wad is way too low and crimp folds into hull. so I bought a few K 20 gauge nitro cards to raise slug to proper crimp height, who else loads with Lee data"does anyone have a load of HS-6 that is about 1,200 FPS, if anyone has shot 36 grs of HS-6 with the 1oz slug, then you know that load kicks lke hell, maybe you get 1,500 FPS but how long will your shoulder hold till it breaks?
anyone please post a Winchester AA hull load with the Lee 1 oz slug that is in the 1200 fps range with HS-6?????

Post subject: Re: anyone load the Lee 1 oz slug?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

12gaonly,

Hello, my friend. I do not know if this will help, but I have read on other forums where people have used 1 ounce shot louds with powders suitable for slugs. I do not recall the results of these threads, but I think it is an option.

Another option is reducing the powder charge on the HS-6 slug loads on the slug charge table. This will reduce your velocity, as well. Just keep an eye on the loads to make sure that all slugs have sufficient velocity to exit the barrel.

Hope this helps.

ST762

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

my problem with the load data is, 36 grs max is way too much, bad kick, and now I reduced charge down to 31 grs of HS-6 and now slug and wad goes in hull farther and crimp is not even close to nice,
no crimp it just folds in,AA/HS hull CB WAA12F114 wad, so now its how many .125 nitro cards to lift slug back into perfect crimp,but then I do have CB waa12L 7/8 oz shot wad but it seems to fit reduced charges better? "don't change componets" I like the 31 grs but hate the crimp, I want a target slug load for fun,I can take the max load for killing deer or Kodiak bears, but its not much fun with the recoil.just complaining I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Roll crimping is not component height sensitive.

Lefteris
http://www.europeancartridgeunlimited

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Maybe a taller wad can help with the height of the load. Perhaps someone can help with a suitable wad.

ST762

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Good morning friends, here is Fed.12-S-0 wad with a nitro card just below the slug in wad.
Hope it helps.
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

VdoMemorie do we want to argue about diameter,I don't.now I'm using 20 ga nitro cards with the
Clay buster CLONE of Winchester's AA12F114 with petals cut off, I tell everyone that CB are not clones of Winchester's wads, their too thick in the petals, theres a hole at basenWin have a flat base, and CB are cheaper , BAD copy of GOOD wads, I was going with Hodgdon sites load of 1 1/2 felt with cards at powder and card under wad,but that seem to defeat cost savings of reloading, so I will use stated wad as a gas seal and cards to bring to crimp height and 30 to 31 grs. of HS--6 and be fine, I think Lee
gave 36 grs. max so the slug would fit and crimp nice, or Lee loves a broken shoulder for every shot.
thanks all, be safe.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello 12GaOnly, we come to debate and share our knowledge and learn from each other.
Since I have never bought clone wads, therefore have no idea of the thickness of the petals.
Why would you buy clones and not the original Win AA 12 F114. I had a chance to buy them at $7 a bag so I bought more than I would ever use. Look around for them and you can find them!
Have a great day!
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 am 
Tournament Grade

I would just try to use some cards to fill the gap and crimp. it should be ok at 31 grains with an extra card in there. Do you have all the lee load data? I got the book, i can share some information there. Are you limited to using HS-6 powder?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I loaded 30 grs hs-6 with wad petals removed and 1 .125 card under slug. it crimps good and shoots good and my shoulder is still in the socket. thanks all for your info, trial and error and sucess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm 
Limited Edition

try a waa12 wad to raise the slugs height.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

good idea!and it would work, thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Has any of you loading the lee slug came up with decent results yet? Reffing to less than 5" groups at a 100yd with consistency. If so, please note the tips or particulars of acquiring such accuracy. Tommygirlmt, VdoMemorie or anyone else get this type of accuracy with the lee slug? I've seen that you have done extensive testing but haven't stated any accuracy criteria.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Hello OnHoPr, the Lee Drive Key slug is a bumble bee, short and stubby, not very good for 100 plus yards. Had the slug been longer then you could expect better results.
Lee slug will do a good job between 20 to 70 yards, but do not expect 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards unless you have a perfect set-up and do your home work well and practice a lot with the right load that works for you! Most shooters using HS-6 powder stop around 33 to 34 grains due to hard recoil.
You all have a great day.
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Greetings, to make the Lee slug longer should be easy with a lathe machine, just cut about 1/16 of an inch on the hollow base pin to make the slug longer!
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:15 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi
Iwas getting eratic groups with the lee slug and noted that the wads where not seperating cleanly all the time .Nitro card a good idea. The Lyman sabot slug didnt have that problem.Was getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 100m with these slugs with a rifled choke tube and a heavy blue dot load.