CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: London Twist
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:44 pm 
:?: Elsewhere on this site I saw a posting concerning the words London Twist on the barrel of older shotgun. I recently inherited a collection and one of the guns is a double barrel that has the London Twist between the barrels on the top of the gun. It also has Wm Harris & Co. on the sideplate. This gun is an antique with 32.5 inch barrels. Stock looks walnut and is carved with a criss-cross pattern. There is a metal butt plate with etching and the sideplates are etched. There is a brass shield on the underneath side of the stock but if there was a number there it is no longer readable. I understand the London Twist to be the manufacturing process of the barrel but know very little else about this gun. I would be appreciative of any information.

Post subject: Re: London Twist
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:09 pm 
Crown Grade

OUCH, this one is a toughy. In the mid to late 1800's there were three Wm Harris's making guns in England and several more in the U.S.

Canyou be more detailed with proofmarks, addresses , anything?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:13 am 
Thanks for the reply! I removed the stock from the barrel and found the number 13 stamped near the proof mark and a serial number of EJF 040. The proof mark is definately there but difficult to discern. It does look similar to the British "Birmingham" proof mark (as found on page 1769 of "The Blue Book" 24th eddition). The proof mark does appear to have two initials the first one is not clear but the second initial is a P and it is in cursive writing. Incidently the it has the words London "fine" twist between the barrels. I hope this information will help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If the 2nd letter is in cursive writting it could either be the Birmingham Bank preliminary testing mark or the London Bank magnum smokeless powder mark.
However these only started being used after 1954.

Since I will assume your gun is older and the only official marks on british guns are post 1925 try and look for a nitro proof mark or any symbols under crowns.

13 might be the diameter of the barell based on the old English system.

I, however, wonder whether the gun is more modern than it seems.

Its not how well you shoot, its how much noise your gun makes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:08 pm 
Pardon my ignorance...but please tell me what a nitro proof mark is and where I should look for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Nitro proof means the gun can resist the pressure and corrosion of smokeless (moder) powder. It should be somewhere on the barells.

Also read this which supports the older, late 19th century date for your gun.

http://gunshop.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007986#000000

and this:
http://gunshop.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008053#000002

Also, for safety , bear in mind that the gun you have does not have solid barells but barells made by layering and pressing thin strips of steel together. These can be prone to rasting. so have it checked by a gunsmith before you fire it.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=130&highlight=damascus+twist

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=227&highlight=damascus+twist

Im sure i posted some photos of damascus and twist barells a few months ago, but I can't find them....Marlands????

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Here is the original source of the photos:

http://gunshop.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000005#000000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:37 am 
Good information! I did go to the links you posted and enjoyed the sense of humor there. I have no desire to have barrel flower wall art or become wall art of sorts myself. No intentions of firing the gun. Actually, there are a couple of twist barrels in the collection and I won't be firing any of them. I will make my "splash" in the world in other fashion. I certainly appreciate your assistance and the humor! I am looking to establish the actual age of this particular gun. Stay tuned...more questions to follow. There is a Beretta in the collection that I can't find in the blue book.