CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 50589
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 pm 
Field Grade

Hi guys, newbie here, wondering if any of you have any experience/opinions about this shotgun...
Thanks for any input {hs#

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 50589
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome!

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /50589.jpg

Pistol-grip stocks usually aren't a good fit on a 500/590 because you have to break your firing grip to operate the top-mounted safety. The stock pictured also appears to block easy access to the slide release.

The control layout on a Mossberg works better with a conventional stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the fast reply... I understand about the safety issue, but I don't plan on using it anyway.. (safety) no kids in the house, and will not keep one in the pipe.... this is to be used as an HD weapon and nothing else... unless TSHTF... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Methinks NHrural was implying that it was suboptimal for HD work...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:07 pm 
Field Grade

By no means am I trying to be ignorant/arrogant, but why do you feel this particular weapon would be insufficient as an HD weapon? Trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can before purchase...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The issue is with the stock as stated above, and IIRC Mossberg still uses ATI parts for their "tacticool" shotguns. Search this forum and you'll find out why ATI has earned a poor reputation here.

Beyond that, and needing a rail cover on the bottom of the forend, it's a fine HD shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

Never knew it was an ATI stock... well aware of them... and as far as "tacticool" goes....
... I can get this shotgun at a killer price, just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
I'm ex military, been around firearms all my life...gotta admit the ATI thing bothers me just a little bit...
but I can purchase this weapon for less than $400....and can always make changes...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

j500hp wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply... I understand about the safety issue, but I don't plan on using it anyway.. (safety) no kids in the house, and will not keep one in the pipe.... this is to be used as an HD weapon and nothing else... unless TSHTF... :D

I had that same mentality about the safety before, but learned that you should engage the safety whenever your weapon (no matter which one) is not up and ready to fire. The safety is not just for the sake of having kids around. Once "TSHTF" for you, you are going to put one in the chamber anyhow.

In regards to the Mossberg mentioned. It should also be noted that the action release is not easily accessible with this type of stock.

IMO, If you're going to spend near $400 on a Mossberg it should be a 590.