CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That start of refurbing an old Police 870
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Although I haven't started cleaning/refinishing it yet, I did get some pics of the 870 before starting. The 870 is roughly late '60's/early '70's vintage and owned by the PD I work for. No one seems to want to clean the Dept issue shotguns, so I broke down and am doing it. I did it last time (about 2 years ago) and swore I wouldn't do it again, since I have to use my own stuff, on my own time. However, I came to the realization that if I don't do it, it won't get done, and with my luck, there's a good chance that I'll be the one needing the shotgun, so I broke down and am doing them. Typical bone-stock riot gun, parkerized finish, 18 1/2" barrel, bead sights, wood stocks, standard 4 rd tube mag, no frills at all. The Dept has 6 or 7 of them; Typical of most Police guns, they have been carried a lot and shot a little. The outsides look kinda ragged, the insides are still in good shape and they shoot well.

First two shots, shotgun as it sits right now. Stock dirty as heck, some corrosion and discoloration on the parkerizing, which is of course bone-dry; pretty typical Police gun.

Second two shots showing the oily, grimy, sticky, disgusting filth on the stock. These guns were cleaned (by me, incidentally) two years ago and the grime wasn't there then. If someone tells you that cops are pigs in their cruisers, BELIEVE THEM! This particular shotgun was in a cruiser for the entire 2 years, only taken out occasionally to check and make sure it was loaded and "cruiser ready", hasn't been shot since last cleaning.

This shot shows some of the problem- the finish on the stock, probably linseed oil, has apparently started coming out of the stock in the heat of the car, beading up, then curing, attracting dirt, grime and filth in the process. I've never seen a properly cured linseed oil finish do this, but that's all I can figure it is. It's not soda or anything else. The oil should be well cured, given the age of the gun, but like I said, I can't figure out what else it might be.

Pic of the filth/grime on the comb, right behind the wrist of the stock. That's the grime that I scraped off with my thumbnail and you can plainly see where I scraped it from. EEEEWWWWWWW! DISGUSTING!

Next up will be stripping the gun and removing the stock and forearm for refinishing. I won't show pics of the stripped gun, if you've seen one 870, you've seen them all. As soon as I get a chance to start on the wood, I'll document that, if interested. I'll be cleaning it up, then applying a nice, 100% PURE TUNG OIL finish, which seems to work real well. Tough, water-resistant, easy to fix dings on the stock if necessary. Give me a few days and I'll get it up.

Bub

Post subject: That start of refurbing an old Police 870
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've used tung oil and teak oil on gun refinishes and other wood projects. I love them both but I prefer tung oil. My side by side that I use for bird hunting was refinished a couple of years ago with tung oil and it's holding up really well. It's been out in the weather several times and still looks great. It's hard to beat a good oil finish.

Post subject: Re: That start of refurbing an old Police 870
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's a shame that gun was allowed to get to that condition.

Personally, if I were issued a shotgun, I'd do my best to shoot it to pieces rather than letting it rust to pieces.

bc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

From those first two pics it looked you had that shotgun laying in a coffin. :shock:

I'd like to see the inside pics once you get it disassembled. I picked up a similar 870P a few months ago and you'd think they'd take care of the guns that are supposed to take care of them but that's not the case. Carrier wear on the outside and good condition on the inside. Shoots well but neglected.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

One idea you might consider is requesting money from the department armorer to replace the stocks and forearms with composite units from Remington.Forty years ago there was always one in the cruiser and kept in perfect working order.Back then it was far more valued over S&W model 27's in 357 we carried especially in an urban environment.Hope your department developes a keener interest in maintaining this valuable tool.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Could you put in a request for compensation for your supplies and maybe some comp time to compensate you for the personal time that you are taking to clean this mess up?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Your tung oil finish is going to look great. Thirty years ago I went on a furniture refinishing streak with tung oil. The last project was my first shotgun, used and abused, but I had it blued while I sanded and tung oiled the wood, which was from South America. It seemed to me to be the most beautiful work that I had done. It was soon stolen, before I ever shot it. I can still see that tung oil finish in my mind.

Welcome to the Basement, bub75.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't you just love thieves?

I can't wait to see the end product on this li'l project.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

bub75,
First off, I commend you for your willingness to put in unsubsidized TLC into a classic workhorse 870, let alone numerous working tools for LE.
I'm with Johnny and olthers about using tung oil towards long-lasting wooden furniture.
Now, while I presume your department has a tight budget, have you thought about contacting Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom about a possible "professional-consideration" to refurbish your departmental aging shotguns? Given the opportunity, I've seen them be very community-oriented in partnering with LEOs.
Lastly, if it'd help, I'll ship you a LNIB OEM Remington(Speedfeed) synthetic stock and Police forend take-off set to assist in sponsoring your efforts and as an appreciation of your service. Just PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

GDubya wrote:
bub75,
First off, I commend you for your willingness to put in unsubsidized TLC into a classic workhorse 870, let alone numerous working tools for LE.
I'm with Johnny and others about using tung oil for long-lasting wooden furniture.
Now, while I presume your department has a tight budget, have you thought about contacting Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom about any possible "professional-consideration" to refurbish your department's aging shotguns? Given the opportunity, I've seen them be very community-oriented in partnering with LEOs.
Lastly, if it'd help, I'll ship you a LNIB OEM Remington(Speedfeed) synthetic stock and Police forend take-off set to assist in sponsoring your efforts and as an appreciation of your service. Just PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Now, see? That's why I like this place. That's class, GDubya.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

bub75:

It fell on me to clean shotguns on my own time and with my own equipment when I was a Deputy with the local SO. You ever wonder how we get roped into this stuff? Seriously though, another officer may thank you one day when he needs his shotgun and it actually works!

Another great source for "proffesional help" is J.D. McGuire of AIP Tactical. Check out his website and and give him a call. But having handled 870's from both houses in Berryville, I know they're top-drawer as well.

And GDubya, that's one noble act. You must be a gentleman.

regards,
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I confess that the offered OEM synthetic furniture is a take-off to the short-LOP Hogue installed on the (now)wife's 870. But, hell, these with-the-way-the-world-is days you have to support the occupations requiring real commitment & heart (public school teaching and law enforcement are at the top of my list). These folks deserve the accolades...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

GDubya... that is an excellent idea. I'm not sure if it'd fit an 870P, but I have the synthetic stock from my 870 Express and a Knoxx Stock setup I'd donate to the cause if you are interested!

If this would work, let me know. I've been thinking about selling the Knoxx... but this is a better solution in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:39 am 
Tournament Grade

kermit4161 wrote:
GDubya... that is an excellent idea. I'm not sure if it'd fit an 870P, but I have the synthetic stock from my 870 Express and a Knoxx Stock setup I'd donate to the cause if you are interested!

If this would work, let me know. I've been thinking about selling the Knoxx... but this is a better solution in my book.

They'll work on a "P" model, and I'll donate a set from an Express Tactical.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:15 pm 
Limited Edition

As a side note a local agency near me has taken the front pumps off of their new 870P models to install SureFire light systems. I would be happy to send you several to replace any of the wood forearms you want to. Let me know if that would help as well.

Having been a "GunBunny" at several agencies I feel your pain. I once cleaned up 20 S&W surplus Victory Model M&Ps my agency had of all of their cosmoline. What a chore! That was 30 years ago and I wonder where they are now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FotoTomas wrote:
...20 S&W surplus Victory Model M&Ps ...I wonder where they are now.

:shock: Me too. I love old Smith revolvers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Utility Grade

FotoTomas, I sent you an email, but I think its stuck in the "Outbox."

Also those are some nice 870Ps for that dept. I think you guys should do a GI Party on those weapons some day, let them take care of their own weapons. Fat chance I know.

Also if anyone is trying to get rid of some wood 870P stocks, let me know. I have 2 that I'm trying refurb right now.

Glock 22 3rd gen
Real men don't ever outgrow toys, just get more expensive ones.