CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulk Walmart Federal Shells (Remington 870)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

The last time I went to the range, I had the infamous (870) problem with the Winchester shells that have the aluminum base. Maybe one out of every five got jammed after firing. So... As most seem to reccomend here, buying in bulk from Walmart is the thing to do and the Federal bulk pack is the way to go for the price. My only concern is that these too have an aluminum base to them. Have any of you 870 owners had this problem with the Federal rounds from Walmart? In all the instances I've heard of this problem, it was only with Winchester. If the Federal rounds do go off without any problem, but the Winchester ones are problematic, where's the problem? Is it something with the way Winchester manufactures their round? I know the aluminum expands more than brass, but I'm really hoping that these aren't going to give me the same problem.

Post subject: Re: Bulk Walmart Federal Shells (Remington 870)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think that the winchesters are much thinner in the head, I know the plastic is flimsier. Probably thr federals will be fine I've never seen then give problems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:53 pm 
Field Grade

Good to hear. I've never heard of the Federal's giving the same problem either, but ever since those Winchester's jammed on me, I've been a little hesitant of anything with an aluminum base.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Both the federal and winchester brands from walmart function fine through my 870, it's all I use and I have shot several hundreds of both without one problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Look in the display case behind the counter. There should be some Federal game loads ( 1oz) for $4.64 per box. These are pretty good shells and cheaper than the 4 packs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I don't think the Win nor the Fed discounted ammo have aluminum bases.

I don't think that a magnet will stick to aluminum.

I think that they are steel. Steel does not contract as much as brass after firing. If the cheap Federals are ok then it just may be the thickness of the bases.

Jason

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Try the rem. packs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:38 am 
Field Grade

They didn't have any Remington bulk packs. The ONLY shells they had in stock by Remington were some small packs of 00. I figured $22.97 for the Federal's were worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:27 am 
Utility Grade

I just shot up a big box of the federal #8 birdshot without a problem in my mossberg, so I can vouch for the quality there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:19 am 
Field Grade

I've had jamming problems with fired WalMart Remington reloads in my 870, but never with the Federals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:56 am 
Field Grade

VinnieD wrote:
I just shot up a big box of the federal #8 birdshot without a problem in my mossberg, so I can vouch for the quality there.

It's an 870 issue, which is why I noted that in the title. Mossberg doesn't jam on the aluminum shells.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Remington "bricks" are always a buck more than the Fed's and WW Uni's, when you can find them.

$22.97 = $5.74/box. Right now Academy Sporting goods has Federal Game & Range and WW Super X, 12/20 ga, 7 1/2 & 8s, for $4.99/box. Walmart also has cheap WW's for $4.97/box (not the promos).

The "bricks" are rarely the cheapest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 pm 
Limited Edition

For target sized shot the bricks are cheap.

The winchester promo shells are steel headed with a zinc coating. Aluminium is not magnetic and doesn't rust. The federals are the same head style being steel with a zinc coating.

Its an 870 issue. Time to polish the chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

:)
I have never used the Winchester, Remington or Federal bulk shotgun shells from Walmart. I have had to many people tell me they have had problems with them all.
Mostly the Winchesters 99 % of the time, but some have had trouble with the Remingtons and Federal bulk pack of 100 rounds in different guns.
I have always used the Winchester AA Super Sport and the Remington Nitro Sporting Clays is what I buy at Walmart. I have never had a fail to fire or ejection problem with these shells.
I use these shells for target shooting out of my
12 Gauge Remington 11-87 Premier - Semi-Auto
12 Gauge Remington 1100 Classic Field - Semi Auto
12 Gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster - Pump
12 Gauge Beretta Silver Snipe - O/U
12 Gauge Ithaca 37 - Pump
12 Gauge Beretta Silver Hawk - SxS
I never had a problem in any of my guns above with the ammo I use listed above.
Friends of mine with their Brownings, Berettas, Bernellis etc. never encountered a problem either using these shotshells.
Try a box of these next time you are at Walmart, you might like them.

Fred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

A lot of the skeet shooters at my gun club report problems with the Winchesters but no problems with the Remingtons or Federals.

Post subject: Re: Re: Bulk Walmart Federal Shells (Remington 870)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

fiasconva wrote:
A lot of the skeet shooters at my gun club report problems with the Winchesters but no problems with the Remingtons or Federals.

All i shoot are federal top guns in the blue box or the federal field and target multipurpose loads in the red box. They are the same shells just a different package; the red box are wal mart and the blue box are dicks, gun shops etc. In my citori I must have shot 2000 rounds easy with the federals not one FTF or stuck wad.

Oh and when I had my 870 they worked well for me also

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

I could have sworn I read that they were aluminum with a zinc coating, but you're also right that a magnet wouldn't stick to that. I tested it and it did stick. In my head I thought it sounded a little odd to be making such a thing out of something as weak as aluminum. Anyway, I guess I won't know until I can get to the range. I know this has been covered before in threads, but can someone link me to the ideal place/thread if I do want to try polishing my chamber? I don't know if this is something I really want to attempt on my own. I get the idea it's the type of thing that one can really screw up if they aren't 100% confident in what they're doing. Roughly, how much would it cost to have a gunsmith do this procedure if I find these shells to be a pain in the a$$ as well? I don't want to be THAT limited on what I can and can't shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Wrap a bunch of steel wool around a cleaning brush and chuck it in a drill. oil and polish. Not much to screw up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think McDerry may be correct about the solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:44 am 
Presentation Grade

CA-Chris wrote:
VinnieD wrote:

It's an 870 issue, which is why I noted that in the title. Mossberg doesn't jam on the aluminum shells.

It's not an "870 issue", it is an issue for many brands of guns Mossberg included. The cheap steel bases just don't like some guns. Polish the chamber and blast away!