CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whats what in 3.5" 12 ga camo shotguns?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I could use a new 12ga and id like to buy a 3.5" camo 12 ga.
I was looking at the beretta extrema II but when i held the Extrema and the A400 the extrema did feel heavy. Im sure the new A400 waterfowl is going to take forever to come out and then be hard to get.
So tell me whats what in camo shotguns. Rem 870's seem a little over priced at $500.
I i have no ideas what guns come with chromed bores or what?
I really hate rust and like to hunt rain or drizzle or not. All kinds of hunting, upland, coyotes you name it.

Post subject: Re: Whats what in 3.5" 12 ga camo shotguns?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've owned a semi-auto Mossberg 935 turkey/waterfowl combo for almost 2 years and it's been a very good gun. Comes with 24" and 28" barrels. Not the softest shooting gun, but that's hard to find in a 3.5" gun IMO. Deer, turkeys, and ducks have all gone quietly with it. Not hard on the wallet at all either. I paid just under $500 for mine from Dick's.

I also just got an 870 supermag and it hasn't been critter-tested yet, but I think it will do fine. Although, 3.5" loads pack a major wallop in this gun. I got mine for $350 from Walmart.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

super nova

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

mossberg 935

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 pm 

For what use/s?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 am 
Field Grade

My first shot gun ever that i bought was a Super Black Eagle II and i love the gun i use it from dove to goose an took my first pheasants w it. it is an all around great gun. Now the only thing that i have heard bad about it, when talking to some gun gu ruus is that it has a smaller bore than some of the other 12's out there an they say that with the smaller bore it wont pattern as well,,,,, thats what they say but all the birds ive harvested with it will say it differently

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

If you're looking for something that's gonna process shells no matter what their length, you may want to look at a pumpgun. Some of the autos have had problem with 2.75'' shells. As much as I like my Mossbergs, the 935 has been one that usually won't eject unless it's shooting 3s or 3.5s. Some have reported that their 935 shoots anything, so it may be a gun to gun thing.

When shooting 3.5s for extended shoots, the weight that you don't want is gonna be a blessing!

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good call HWD, I forgot to mention the magnum rounds only part with 935's. Mine is one of those that does not eject the light 2.75" loads. It will kick out high-brass 2.75" loads just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

you can pick up a used 870 super mag well worth the money, or a benelli super nova , both are great pump guns and are fit for purpose, also a lot of people are quite fond of the mossberg, ive never shot one but i hear good things, explore all your options before sinking your hard earned cash into it,ive an 870 3.5" and am pleased with its performance but i recommend if you do go down the rem path get a supercell recoil pad they aint big money but when shooting heavy loads its a big help

mossberg 500e .410

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you're wanting an autoloader the choice is not easy. There are some really nice guns being made these days. I've been looking at all of them.

I would start with Maxus, SX3, SBE II and Vinci. See what feels best to you. They are all very nice guns.

I have a SBE II and wanted another gun but like you, didn't want to wait any longer for the A400, even though I think it will be a big winner when it does come out.

I settled on the Maxus MODB and I knew I would like it because I love my Wooden Maxus.

Very tough choice though.

'57 Double Auto
'64 Sweet Sixteen
A-5 Light 12 Japanese
Maxus Sporting Clays
Maxus MODB 3.5"

Last edited by bucktweet on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm 
Utility Grade

i got the winchester sx3...its a beast...no complaints nor malfunctions and its real lightweight...i had that mossberg, too many problems....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

If you don't have price point issues and you don't need to shoot super light loads (< 1 1/8), get a camoed SBE II. Beretta, Browning and Winchester all make nice 3.5" guns but to me the SBE is the best handling for all around hunting duty. I've shot tons of 3.5" shells through mine guiding snow goose hunts, then shot it all day at doves with 1oz loads (although you may get a feed failure once in a while with them), carried it all day pheasant hunting, etc. Hard to beat for all around. 15 seconds to take it down, clean it, and put it back together is hard to beat also.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

CHUCH wrote:
i had that mossberg, too many problems....

Which Mossberg are you talking about with all the problems?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pretty tough to beat the Maxus. Lightest of the auto's with exception to maybe the A400 plus great balance and the lightest recoiling as well. And can be had for far less than the Benelli or Beretta. Plus they cycle loads right down to 7/8oz without a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 pm 
Crown Grade

The 7/8 oz can be a problem as the light loads in a Benelli SBE will probably not cycle the 2nd shot.I own a Vinci and a SBE.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Correct. Mine won't cycle them hardly at all. I do know some individual SBEs (originals) that will shoot them fine, but only a couple. OP didn't mention clays and I've never felt like 1 oz was too heavy a load for any of my hunting.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I have an original SBE 2,and it shoots 1-0z just fine,haven't tried 7/8 in that gun yet.The Vinci was the
hardest's gun I have ever broken in.It liked a really good reload, in order to function and fire.One
fellow tried using my gun as his was broken and it had trouble using his 7/8 oz loads.Now that it is broken in,its shoots just about everthing,with no problem,no more Benelli click!and FTF.IT took about
2000 rounds[Estimated] to get that way.The Vinci book,says no reloads ,but that's all I shoot.P/s,
Camo guns usually run about $100.00 more than plain ones.There is a special baking process, to put
on the Camo and it is well worth it instead of DIY!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 pm 

I see I missed your intende uses: All kinds of hunting, upland, coyotes you name it.

For all around use you could go with a 3" model just as well as a 3 1/2" model. The newer 3 1/2" models are much more versatile than just a few years ago. Many of them are light in weight and cycle light target loads.

For me, I've found a good coyote gun is the same thing that I like for a turkey gun. Tight choke, short barrel, pistol grip, camo or matte finish, synthetic stock/forearm and a red dot sight. My upland models is quite different though. A good compromise would be something like a Browning Maxus, Winchester SX2, Benelli SBE II, Benelli Super Vinci, Beretta Xtrema 2, Beretta A400, Browning Silver, Remington Versa Max. The Benelli models are not as good as the other models with light loads but fine with lighter field loads. The Xtrema 2, Silver, and Versa Max weigh a little more than the other models. The A400 does not yet come in a synthetic version. The Maxus can not accept a magazine extension if you wanted to increase magazine capacity. Any of the eight models would work well for the most part. They all have good features and have good quality. Try to hold as many of them with different barrel lengths and pick the one you like the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta of some sort.
The Xtrema I or II is heavy to carry for upland but great in a blind as they soak up recoil very well.
The A-400 would fill the bill weight wise, but no camo as of yet.
There are places that will dip them for about $300.
My A-400 ejects light 7/8 oz loads all day long

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg 835
:wink: