CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.C Henry 12 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Trying to find out a year and valu on a J.C Henry Arms 12 gauge Number 1639031 Thank you

Post subject: Re: J.C Henry 12 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

It's a Folsom/Crescent
http://docs.google.com/a/damascusknowle ... SXXQ&pli=1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm 
Crown Grade

If the full name is J.C. HENRY ST PAUL then the gun is indeed a "Trade Brand Name"shotgun made by Crescent Fire Arms Co of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) for and was sold by the H & D Folsom Company of New York City who incidently owned Crescent Fire Arms Company. The serial number you give is incorrect for any Crescent made gun. They don't go that high.
Just a question, could the name be J. C. HIGGINS?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Could it be a 16 gauge with numbers 9031? Yes it is a J.c. Henry. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, it could be. Crescent made single barrels have the serial number stamped or marked on the bottom tang (the part of the frame that extends back into the butt stock) just behind the trigger guard. Crescent single barrel serial numbers start with 001 in 1897 and go up to and trough 798,001+ in 1935. They used all kinds of markings for gauges, barrel types and seller designated markings. That's why we need to know any and all markings and where found on a old gun. According to my serial number-year made tables, single barrel serial number 90317 was made in 1901.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I, too, have a JC Henry single shot. Stamped on the bottom part that connects to the stock is "JC Henry Arms Co - St. Paul" The serial number is 209869. I would be interested in its age, but my reason for making this entry is that I want to restore it to display condition. It is rusted, the barrel is pitted, and it is sans stock and forearm. I would like to make it a workshop project which would include fitting a stock and forearm and reconditioning the outside of the barrel, but I cannot find even a picture of the gun so I can model the restoration after it. Can you help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

First of all, the gun is of course a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun which is an inexpensive but well made shotgun with some name on it other than the makers name. Between about 1880 and 1940, there was a great interest in all things having to do with shotgun, making, selling and of course selling them. Wholesale sporting goods dealers, retail chain stores and independent sellers wanted guns with names of their own choosing to sell and the major makers were only too happy to supply this demand. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent seller who chose the name to go on the gun. Your J.C. HENERY ARMS CO ST. PAUL serial number 209869 was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to1930) (unless it has foreign proof marks on the bottom of the barrel) and was made in 1906. I don't have an firm information as to who the seller was other than Crescent Fire Arms parent company, H & D Folsom of New York City a large wholesale and retail sporting goods dealer. Restoration can be an interesting project. I've restored about seventy five old single barrels. You are going to need some specialized tools not normally found in a home work shop like a deep hole drill, belt and disk sanders, metal polishing wheels, semi circular wood rasps a band saw to start. You will also need bluing tanks to redo the metal but this can be farmed out to a local gunsmith. You can buy wood (walnut) at your local lumber yard or store. Parts for a one hundred and six year old gun are not found on the shelf. But sometimes they can be found on auction sites like Gun Broker. People sell old guns for their parts value. Farming out entire restoration to a gunsmith is foolish and expensive, I can and will cost more that the gun is worth and when it is finished, you still have an old gun that is not safe to shoot. Contact me by E-mail if you wish any further information or help. Nedfall@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 pm 
Crown Grade

[It can and will cost more that the gun is worth and when it is finished, you still have an old gun that is not safe to shoot.]

IOW, fahgettabouttit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm 
Utility Grade

It was my grandfather's. It is a memory. Once I figure out what it will take I may just hang it on the wall as is...but, I like projects.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I understand. I still have the first shotgun I ever bought, a Winchester Model 37 in .410 bore. I paid $9.00 for it in 1946 when I was twelve years old. I want to pass it on to my grandson.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

I wish I still had my 37 16 ga.