Post subject: Eibar Spain
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Crown Grade

What is the quality of these guns?

Post subject: Re: Eibar Spain
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are at least eight gunmakers in Eibar. The quality of the guns made there ranges from superb to fair, depending on the individual maker and the grade/model.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

uplanddan wrote:

When, what, who???????

Your question is unanswerable as framed.

It is like asking the quality of cars made in the USA over the last 70 years.

There were around 60 makers whose guns made there way to the USA over those 70 years.

If you are taking about today abd tge models being made right now, Grulla, Garbi, AyA, Arrizabalaga, Arrieta, Ugartechea, Parkemy, Kemen, and Lanber are the operating makers in Spain and only Lanber could be said to be currently making some just "fair" guns with Arrizabalaga making some of the finest in the world.

Last edited by chorizo on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

uplanddan wrote:

The quality of the gun is commensurate with the price point to which the gun was made.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Barrels say EIG-EBAR SPAIN and choke 15.2 / 15.8.

This is the info the guy e-mailed me. It has 22"bbls, an engraving of a hunting dog on it, and 13 1/2" lop.

This is all I know, believe me if I knew more about it, I wouldn't have asked such an open question. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ok....

Photos are really the best way to get specific info. The more info you can supply, the more info you will get back.

When it comes to Spanish guns, value (and quality) of the gun is determined by the price point to which the gun was made and the current condition of the gun. To estimate price point, we will need maker’s information, proof year, whether it is a box lock or a side lock, single barrel, double barrel, rifle or shotgun, amount of engraving and engraving pattern. For Spanish shotguns, whatever is stamped on the top of the barrel is marketing. Manufacturing data is on the barrel flats and water table.

That said, with barrels of 22 inches and a 13.5 inch LOP it’s likely the gun has been cut down. There are probably fifty different engraving patterns with a dog in them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=244372424

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrels have been cut, low to medium quality. I would not be interested in it personally as it has been fiddled with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank You!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

JABE? Anyway, not a great gun that before it was cut down to rob banks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

uplanddan wrote:
Barrels say EIG-EBAR SPAIN and choke 15.2 / 15.8.

This is the info the guy e-mailed me. It has 22"bbls, an engraving of a hunting dog on it, and 13 1/2" lop.

This is all I know, believe me if I knew more about it, I wouldn't have asked such an open question. :roll:

Now that we know you are asking about a specific gun, it is a lot easier to answer your question. It sounded like you were asking a general question about guns made in Eibar, Spain.

The one you referenced is nothing special, especially as modified.

Romans 8:1

Last edited by OldSkeeter on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I usually suspect doubles with barrels shorter than 26" as having had the barrels cut by a previous owner. This, however, is not always the case. A few importers had Spanish, Italian and other gunmakers produce SxS doubles with short 22" or 24" barrels. The Brush King (BLNE) and Ambassador (SLNE) SxS's produced by Armas Marixa and imported by Ed Paul Sporting Goods of Brooklyn, NY during the 1960's and 70's were available with 22" barrels.

Richland Arms of Blissfield, MI offered their 20 gauge Model 200 SxS with 22" barrels (larger gauges had barrels of 26" or longer). Garcia marketed the Brazilian Rossi Overland in 12 and 20 gauge with 20" barrels being the only length offered. Galef also catalogued a 12 gauge Basque SxS with 22" barrels. Mandell Shooting Supplies of Scottsdate, AZ imported a Crucelegui Hermanos Model 150 which could be had with barrel lengths ranging from 20" to 32".

There may have been others.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 am 
Crown Grade

I should have posted the link in the first place. I know nothing of spanish doubles other than I cannot afford the ones I want! Go figure!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

uplanddan wrote:
I should have posted the link in the first place. I know nothing of spanish doubles other than I cannot afford the ones I want! Go figure!

That's OK Dan. I know a whole lot about Spanish doubles and we both have the same problem. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 pm 
Crown Grade

HAHAHA. :lol: