CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quail 1 and Quail 2 choke question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:46 am 
Limited Edition

I bought my Win.23 Golden Quail 12 Ga. as a I/C and Mod gun. just like 99.9% of all the others I've ever seen advertised. ( currently one listed as I/C and I/M on GB )

Most sellers that care to include the Winchester nomenclature say these guns are marked Quail 1 and Quail 2. Mine is also marked as such on the undersides of the barrels. ( CSMC has one at the moment claimed to be Quail 1 and Quail 3! )

I've grown more fond of my gun in recent days resulting in a lot more use and cleaning and have only just noticed it marked as I/C and I/M on the flats.

Question:
- What constrictions do Winchester Q1 Q2 and Q3 typically/nominally measure? bearing in mind ... my gun is marked Q1 Q2 and I/C, I/M.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Quail 1 and Quail 2 choke question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Perhaps one of these gentlemen could answer your question, they handle more Japanese Winchesters than anyone I know of.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/showler.htm
http://www.dawsonsdoubles.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for your time and effort in posting.

I'm not as worried about the choke constrictions anymore. I shot my best ever scores at 5 stand yesterday with my 'new preferred' gun. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I would think that IC and IM would be considered tight for quail. Maybe Winchester opened up the standard barrels and remarked them, but in that case they should have struck through the original markings. If I remember correctly the Parker Reproductions may have used the quail markings, perhaps some research in that area would help you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm 
Limited Edition

The good folk over at Parkerguns seem very proud of their 'exclusive' club. A very tightly formed clique.
I am hesitant in approaching them with such an apparently obtuse issue cause I pretty much know my chance of receiving a favorable response. ( but, I suppose you can/should never pre-count your chickens :wink: )
Much prefer the vibe over here at SGW. Although the Winchester sub- forum is quickly going the same way.
Whoops. Did I just say out loud what I was thinking ??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I could be dead wrong, but I've always thought that Quail 1 and Quail 2 were analogous to Skeet 1 and Skeet 2. That would put one choke between cylinder and improved cylinder and the other choke between improved cylinder and modified, or essentiall a light modified.