CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iver Johnson Skeet-er .410
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Greetings,
I recently obtained an Iver Johnson Skeet-er shotgun in .410 bore. I am trying to ascertain its value as it is a family hand-me-down.
Here are the details:

Iver Johnson Skeet-er .410
marked "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass USA"
Double triggers
barrels are marked O and C
3 inch shells
all serial numbers match 251***
has what I assume to be an aftermarket Hawkins butt pad

The metal finish is worn and there are a few small areas of fine pitting.
Each barrel bore has some spots about 6 to 8 inches from the breach end.
Stock has been refinished at the butt end where it meets the butt pad.

All the parts are there and operational.

Here is my question: what would be my best route as far as refinishing the gun? Should I or shouldn't I.
I am not really interested in keeping it, but I want to see it go to someone who will appreciate it. I realize this is a VERY broad subject, but I am looking for a starting point.

Thanks for your help,
Dave,
Seattle

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er .410
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DO NOT REFINISH THAT GUN!!! DON'T EVEN "CLEAN IT UP"!!

Some of the 410 IJ Skeeters can be quite valuable, and any effort you make to destroy it will ruin that value.

I would strongly suggest you pay for a professional appraisal. You might find that you want to put the gun into an auction, and a collector wants an unrestored gun, so again, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REFINISH!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

This one sold for $3500.00 - compare the condition of your to it's, to WAG a value estimate.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/944061543/Gu ... tgun.htm?&

The "O" & "C" are custom choke markings for Skeet choke & Full choke.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:07 pm 
Crown Grade

People seem to go ga ga over the .410-bore Iver Johnson SKEET-ER. The early guns had a color case hardened frame and the later guns had a blued frame. It seems any attempt to reblue the frames ends up with a purple frame which greatly reduces market appeal. The SKEET-ER was available with either extractors or ejectors, and was offered with either a double trigger or a Miller single trigger in either selective or non-selective variety. The 12-, 16-, 20- and 28-gauge SKEET-ER came "standard" with a capped full pistol grip, and the .410-bore was "standard" with a straight grip. The gauges could be ordered with a straight grip and the .410-bore could be ordered with the full pistol grip.

In the Seattle area, your best bet for someone to look at your gun would be to take it out to D.J.'s Sport and Pawn in Bothell on a Thursday or Friday when Bruce is present. Or, schlep it over to me 19 miles ENE of downtown Spokane.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks to all who replied. Researcher01 I will head on over to D.J.s sometime soon to get some adivice. I was considering taking it down to Lacey to Cabelas for them to take a look at it, but Bothell is MUCH closer and traffic is alot better.
drsfmd, I have heard that about vintage firearms and that is why I am asking. I may be stupid sometimes, but I can't be stuck on stupid ALL the time :D
Kid, thanks for the links. Websites like that are bad for the wallet.

TTFN,
Dave