CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 GA Load for the Winchester AA HS Case
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am looking for a good 3/4 ounce load for sporting clays and five stand. I know the Lyman book as a bunch., but does anyone have a favorite that works well for them? I load on a Hornady 366.
Thanks,
Fred-napawino

Post subject: Re: 28 GA Load for the Winchester AA HS Case
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can't beat an old standard, 13 grains of Unique with Claybuster Red wads and WW209. Breaks clays and kills dove and quail. I have no reason to change. Alliant's on line guide pretty much pushes 20/28 powder, which could be the new go to powder.

Last edited by mike cross on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 pm 

When the early WWAAHS 28 hulls came out, they were shorter than the older CF hulls that worked so well with Unique. Claybuster developed a shorter stacking wad that helped the situation quite a bit. Then, Alliant released the 20/28 powder and this made it easy to fit a great load together into that shorter hull ( this also applies to the usage of 20/28 in the short WWAAHS-20 hulls. Now WW has been making longer HS hulls for the 28, but without measuring and sorting the WWAAHS hulls, you never will know what you have. There is still variation in hull length in the new hulls and if you are a devoted collector of 28 gauge hulls from the ground, you can still find the shorter hulls. This is a real good reason to use the 20/28 powder. Longshot will work but it is much more expensive and requires more as well, AFAIR. The new Alliant Pro-Reach sounds real good but I have yet to try it.
The alliant web site has loads for all the popular and current 28 hulls. I use the WWAAHS recipes for the crappy euro hulls, if I find that I must load the junk.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

I load Alliant 20/28, but have also loaded some STS and AAHS with Alliant Pro Reach. If you like Nitro sporting and AA Super sporting loads, you'll really like the results of Pro Reach. I loaded both hull types with 3/4 Oz of 7.5 shot for 1,300fps, out to 35 yards I got smoke balls with LM and M chokes. My normal load is for AAHS with 20/28 doing 1,250fps with .75 Oz of shot, I just haven't shot much sub gauge with year though.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm about to start reloading for the 28g myself I have the red CB5034-28HS wads with a sticker and a "B"Win HS hulls (also some Kemens) with Win 209 and Fiocchi 616 primers I to am looking for some loads for sporting 1200-1250fps is all I am looking for 3/4oz
the selection of powders I have on hand GreenDot Universal Herco and Bluedot I don't have acces to the newer pwders yet (not yet coming into Australia) I have ordered the new Lyman book but don't know when that is likely to get here subgauge in this country are rare and so are components anyone able to help with loads for the above components?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

smlekid

In the "short" AAHS hull I use the FIO 616 or NS 686 primer, 13 grains of Unique, CB5034-28 wad (now "B" suffix), and 11/16 ounce of shot.

In the "long" AAHS hull I use the FIO 616 or NS 686 primer, 13 grains of Unique, CB5034-28 wad (now "B" suffix) and 3/4 ounce shot.

Hodgdon shows 14.0 - 14.2 grains of Universal with the WAAHS28 wad with the Winchester, CCI and Remington primers which I'm comfortable substituting with the FIO 616 or NS 686. In fact, until earlier this year, Hodgdon stated on their website that the NS 686 could be safely substituted for the Win 209.

Here's a link to the Hodgdon reloading data center http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

BTW, I wonder how many on here know what SMLE stands for?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Short Magazine Lee Enfield

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quick check of www.alliantpowder.com suggests that for Herco 14 grains looks good. Might be a bit dirty though. Universal is supposed to be good as is Unique. Always check your drops with a quality scale!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Model32Shooter wrote:
Short Magazine Lee Enfield

Bob

correct sir I do have bit of a thing for Lithgow 303's being an Aussie and all:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Herco is still my favorite 28ga powder, but is a tough fit in the shorter HS hulls. For them it is 13gr 20/28, claybuster HS-b wad and WW209.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:18 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I've loaded most every appropriate powder for 28 ga in the AAHS hulls. I've settled on Longshot myself. 20/28 wasn't arround when I settled on Longshot. I have a 1#er and used a little and all went well. It fit fine with the red Claybuster wad but since I have the lion's share of an 8#er of Longshot left I see no reason th change, yet!

I don't know where Curly buys powder, well maybe I do, Gamaliel I suspect, but in my part of the world the 20/28 was not a LOT cheaper than Longshot, soooo! Actualy, it was more money in the one pound can.

All the old standards worked well depending on wad selection. I even got some of the original OEM AA wads and Unique to load pretty well, but a shorter wad was much better, i.e PT28 Remington. I used some of the CR PC28s too. I guess they went bang OK, but I did not like the fit. Today I load the Claybuster with Longshot and have a few bags of the Gualandi wad from Graf's. It works well too.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

smlekid,

Is the ADI line of powders available to you down there? If so, there is a number, but I don't recall which, that is indeed Longshot powder. Hodgdon imports it and repackages it as Longshot if memory serves me correctly. I may be incorrect, but I believe it too is an ADI number just like many newly manufactured extruded Hodgdon powders. Hodgdon does not make powder, they package and market it. It would be worth a look for you.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
smlekid,

Is the ADI line of powders available to you down there? If so, there is a number, but I don't recall which, that is indeed Longshot powder. Hodgdon imports it and repackages it as Longshot if memory serves me correctly. I may be incorrect, but I believe it too is an ADI number just like many newly manufactured extruded Hodgdon powders. Hodgdon does not make powder, they package and market it. It would be worth a look for you.

BP

Yes ADI is about the only powder we can get reliably Is longshot a flake or ball powder?
I have sent an email to ADI requesting reloading data for one or there slower shotgun type powders I will be interested to see if I get a reply
the hodgson clays line is sold here as AS and AP powders Universal is AP70 ADI make AP100 which is a touch slower than 800X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

smlekid,

I looked last night at my 1# jug of Longshot and it says made in USA on it. I didn't believe it! I looked as my last 4# jug of it and it says made in Australia and packaged in USA! That's more like I remembered it being. The jug says it's a ball powder, but to me it looks much more like a flake powder. If it's ball, it's smashed pretty darned flat.

Longshot may be a tad slower than ADI AP100 too. There are a lot of numbers of powder between 800-X and Longshot. Doesn't mean it's a long ways off in burn rate, just that there are quite a few numbers in that general burn rate. Maybe you can find the ADI number for Longshot? If so, you'd be good to go. I doubt that ADI makes Longshot as a propriatary product just for Hodgdon, but.....

BP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

smiekid,
I have a beautiful never issued- unfired SMLE Mark IV Lithgow .303 in my rifle case
My wife gave it to me as a wedding present. I also have a 1905 Mark 1- shoots great.

I have been pondering getting into reloading to do 28 gauge specifically and clearly can not drum up in my head the right thing to do- Loaded cartridges of all types for many years but it has been a few since I did any- Dillion 650B all setup in 9mm but I rarely go shoot and have cases of 9mm sitting around. Just bought 25 flats of 12 1 oz loads vs my norm of really paying through the nose for Win AA 1 1/8 stuff for almost twice the dinero. 28 gauge is still high at just under 10$ and I am hopeful of getting comfortable shooting 28 only after I practice practice practice with all this 12 gauge I have, then I will move to 20 for a little while then just do 28.
Not sure of the choice of loaders out there- MEC PW and Spolar-
I don't mind if one cost 2x as much so long as it is worth it in ease of use and functioning.
Once its setup and working and producing would like to add hydraulic to it or have it come with it and learn single staging it for a while.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:02 pm 
Field Grade

mike cross wrote:
Can't beat an old standard, 13 grains of Unique with Claybuster Red wads and WW209. Breaks clays and kills dove and quail. I have no reason to change. Alliant's on line guide pretty much pushes 20/28 powder, which could be the new go to powder.

I started loading the 28ga AAHS cases a few months back with the 13 gr Unique recipe and am pleased with the results. I am on 8-10 reloads on one batch of cases and am just now starting to see splits in some of them-will see just how many reloads I can squeeze out of this batch before they go to the trash. I will say that I had a couple of flats of new AAHS 28ga hulls that has split brass bases right from the factory-about 10% of them were that way-but after I got rid of those bad hulls everything is going along swimmingly

Chief of Police (Retired)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

smlekid,

Come to think of it, if you can lay hour hands on some of the newer Claybuster wads or Remington, maybe Gualandis, you could use Universal pretty successfully. Universal is also an ADI powder. I've had very good luck with it and a bunch of the Remington and Gualandi wads in the AAHS hull.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oldfalguy wrote:
smiekid,
I have a beautiful never issued- unfired SMLE Mark IV Lithgow .303 in my rifle case
My wife gave it to me as a wedding present. I also have a 1905 Mark 1- shoots great.

I have been pondering getting into reloading to do 28 gauge specifically and clearly can not drum up in my head the right thing to do- Loaded cartridges of all types for many years but it has been a few since I did any- Dillion 650B all setup in 9mm but I rarely go shoot and have cases of 9mm sitting around. Just bought 25 flats of 12 1 oz loads vs my norm of really paying through the nose for Win AA 1 1/8 stuff for almost twice the dinero. 28 gauge is still high at just under 10$ and I am hopeful of getting comfortable shooting 28 only after I practice practice practice with all this 12 gauge I have, then I will move to 20 for a little while then just do 28.
Not sure of the choice of loaders out there- MEC PW and Spolar-
I don't mind if one cost 2x as much so long as it is worth it in ease of use and functioning.
Once its setup and working and producing would like to add hydraulic to it or have it come with it and learn single staging it for a while.
Mark

nice rifle you have there Oldfalguy please take it out and shoot it they were made to be used:)