CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Winchester load
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

saw a cheap winchester load today. it was a hunting load, but loaded at 1oz and 1350fps 6 point crimps. $5/box

anyone seen these recently? they will work for me to do some informal trap and bird hunting but I am most curious if anyone has had these before and reloaded them. what are the hulls like? its costing me close to $5/box to reload now so i am thinking ill pick up some while I can get them at that price and save the reloading components I have for now...

Post subject: Re: Cheap Winchester load
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

What was the name of it? I dont think winchester has put out one called "cheap winchester load"

The only 12 gauge 1 oz game load put out by winchester that I've ever seen, is the xpert game and target steel.. which is usually between 6-7 a box.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Winchester hulls unless 28 Ga or .410 AAHS hulls are all junk to me. But all opinions aside, generally the "cheap or mart special" Winchesters aren't worth the time to bend down to pick up. At least in my area gun clubs, sport loads are in great enough abundance to never need to load "junk" hull in the foreseeable future. If I had to I'd load Federal top guns with CB-6100s for a once and done load for a auto loader or pump.

-B.C.S.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

If I was going to go out and buy factory ammo in the $5-6 a box range, shoot it and save the hulls for reloading I would be buying Remington Gun Clubs. If all you want to do is shoot I don't think there is any big difference between any of the $5-6 a box ammo be it WW Universal, Win Super Target, Remington Gun Club (or sport load,) Federal Estate, or for that matter Rio, Kemen, etc. There is however only one load in this price range that has a hull that is really quite good for reloading. This does not mean that the others cannot be reloaded but the Gun clubs are very re-loadable, the others are so/so at best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

Go find yourself a case of remington gunclubs.. should be right at 5-6 a box and the hulls are 1pc remington just like STS/Nitro... same for the remington small bricks (4 boxes) at walmart, think they are $25 for 4 boxes and those hulls reload the same.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:34 pm 
Field Grade

cgates.

They had those for sale at my local wally world. $4.95. So l got a couple of boxes, 8s and 7s. Shot em at SC, they bust em real good, and they pattern well.
So l went back and got more or less all they had.
Not interested in the hulls, probably got 10,000 Rems and AA in the barn.
At that price l am not complaining as they were a little less that all others they stock.
Well worth the money in my book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Were these shells lead or steel?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 pm 
Utility Grade

These are lead shot, 1 oz and I have used them in sizes 6-7 1/2-8 whenever I either did not have time to load any or my reloading room was 'unavailable' for whatever reason. I have no problems using them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, I've seen them at walmart and bought a few boxes. Winchester "Super Speed Xtras" in a red/white box with a quail and dove on it. My uses were the same - informal clays. They do work fine, but I wouldn't hunt or compete with them unless I had no other option. I never bothered to reload since good, reloadable remmy hulls abound!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:25 pm 
Crown Grade

They sound like Winchester Fast Dove loads to me. They have them here for $6 a box

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 am 
Field Grade

super speed xtra - thats what it was :)

so what is it about the winchester hulls that makes them so much less desirable for reloading than the remingtons? Just the plastic basewad? I havent been reloading for very long and I really dont have any experience loading winchester hulls of any type. All my reloading has been with some type of remington hull be it gun club, STS, and wal-mart target loads.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:31 am 

cgates wrote:
super speed xtra - thats what it was :)

so what is it about the winchester hulls that makes them so much less desirable for reloading than the remingtons? Just the plastic basewad? I havent been reloading for very long and I really dont have any experience loading winchester hulls of any type. All my reloading has been with some type of remington hull be it gun club, STS, and wal-mart target loads.

The Hull plastic is flimsy and some folks have a lot of issues getting good crimps. You generally cannot jump from another hull to those and get the same quality crimp.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking