CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 101 Problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Please bear with me, this may be a long-winded explanation.

I have a Winchester 101, 12ga. I've shot 4 rounds (400 shells) of sporting clays with it since I bought it used. First 300 shots, the gun functioned perfectly. Now I have an issue.

After the gun has been fired, it is extremely hard to break open about 1/2 or 2/3 of the time. I was fiddling around with it last night and noticed something. If I put the snap-caps in and dry fire it, it is stiff to open. If I open and close it without dryfire it is extremely easy to open.

It is different from a Citori, in that it doesn't need the recoil to set the trigger to the next barrel. Just pick if you want top or bottom to shoot first and then pull the trigger twice. Is it supposed to need the recoil, and that could be part of the problem, that the recoil system is somehow screwed up?

BTW, one other thing I've noticed is that while the safety slides up and back very easily, it is pretty stiff/sticky side to side when selecting the barrel. Could this be part of the problem as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to the range this weekend for some more SC, but am planning on using my A5, but I will probably take the 101 as well, and see if I can talk to the gunsmith.

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Winchester 101 Problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not sure if this is your problem, but the 101's have a blind pin in the action under the stock that is notorious for moving sideways and either coming loose or binding on the stock. Mine was acutally making a bulge in the wood of the stock.

The safety of 101's often behaves the way you descibe and it is tough to lubricate. If you feel competent to do it, take the stock off the gun and check the action for the loose pin and put a little lubricant under the spring on the safety slide with a pin or something.

It sounds like you could have dirt or crap in the cocking mechanisms or a mechanical problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

The reason it is harder to open after firing on the snap caps is that you are re-cocking the hammers when you break the action open. If the hamers haven't been released they don't have to be re-cocked and the action does break much easier. The 101, at least my 1965 model, doesn't have inertial firing pins. The barrel switch is mechanical. My safety goes sideways as easily as to the front and back.
On the hard to open after firing part, I would suspect the ammo first. Had you switched ammo when the problem occurred? Try different brand of ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ammo wasn't the problem. It's only had Remington SureShot Heavy Dove and Winchester AA in it since I've had it. After talking to the gunsmith this morning, after a round of SC, he explained it to me. I already understood about the recocking part, but he showed me something interesting. The firing pins are sticking out too far and they leave drag marks on the primers. He said there was a spring in there that is supposed to retract them when you start to break the gun open.

Hey Bill M. where was the bulge you describe? So I know to keep an eye out for it. I bought the gun used, and it is my first O/U. I am a little leary of really tearing into it. I used to be able to tear my Wingmaster completely apart, but I don't know what I'd be getting into with an O/U.

Thanks again guys.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't worry about it. If you get the gunsmith to fix the spring problem with the firing pins he will check the action over and lubricate the safety correctly also. They you should be good for 15 or 20 years or so.

The 101 is a solid gun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

The Win 101 was made by Miroku.

A common problem is that the firing pin in the lower barrel developes a groove on it and jams when opening the action. You probably see the firing pin drag on the primer.

Your likely best solution is to replace the firing pin.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

coverk wrote:
The Win 101 was made by Miroku.

A common problem is that the firing pin in the lower barrel developes a groove on it and jams when opening the action. You probably see the firing pin drag on the primer.

Your likely best solution is to replace the firing pin.

Ken

Sorry Ken, but the 101 was never made by Miroku. Miroku makes the Brownings.

101's were made by Olin Kondensha.

Replacing the firing pin is good advice if it shows the wear you describe, I'd replace both pins though if I had to order the part anyway and keep the old ones for spares.

Tim.