these, and with the younger shooters?

Post subject: Re: Recoil of 12 Ga. & 20 Ga Slugs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Uwharrieman wrote:
I've heard the lighter weighing 20 Ga.
shotguns can kick more with slugs
than the heavier 12 Ga guns.

Looking at something the G-daughters can shoot.
What experience has anybody had with these, and with the younger shooters?

Greetings to you in Uwharrieman in the Tarheel State. I wish I was living there again!

It is definitely not true that a 20 gauge slug will have more felt recoil than a 12 gauge slug, although it can be true in some circumstances.

Basic physics applies here. Felt recoil will be a factor of gun weight and fit, besides the mass and energy of the slug.

Looking at two comparible Hornady slugs, we see the following:

Hornady FTX
20 gauge - 250 grains; 1800 feet/sec & 1798 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle
12 gauge - 300 grains; 2000 feet/sec & 2664 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle

Looking at semi-autos, let's say a Browning Silver, we find:
12 gauge Rifled Deer Stalker - 7 pounds, 12 oz
20 gauge Rifled Deer Satin - 6 pounds, 12 oz

and similar differences are found with the Remington semi-auto rifled deer guns. About a pound of difference between the 12 ga and the 20 gauge.

My experience has been that the biggest difference in recoil is that between a gas operated semi-auto and a pump or other fixed breech type gun, and that 20 gauge gas operated semi's are pretty reasonable guns to shoot 20 gauge slugs in.

I'd go with a 20 gauge gas operated semi-auto, and use the "managed-recoil" type slugs for practice/sighting in purposes (although shoot a few rounds of the actual slug you will have them hunting with as a final check on POI).

Benchrest shooting any type of slug gun, especially in warmer weather with light shirts on is not always comfortable. Make sure you take this into account before having your grand-daughters shoot practice rounds. The gun should have a good, modern recoil pad and you can also use shooting vests with Reactor pads or similar inserts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shot 20ga slugs in my 870 once. My 870 is an older model built on the 12 ga receiver before they made 20 ga specific model so my 20 weighs the same as a 12. I thought it kicked more than my 270. Put it in one of the new lighter 20s and I can't see that being pleasant at all. My son is 10 and a tough kid. He will shoot managed recoil loads in my 270, full speed 243 in a single shot and hunting loads in a light .50 cal muzzleloader and not complain. He pulled the trigger once on the 20 ga slugs and said no thanks to that. If you are looking for a Deer gun I'd go for a 243, 30/30 or managed recoil 308 or 7mm-08.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You don't say what gun you intend the girls to shoot......I started my daughter with a 20ga Youths and ladies model Remington 1100.....If I remember correctly (CRS) she was about 12years old and about 85 pounds......since then she has taken several Whitetail bucks with it when fitted with a smooth bore iron sighted barrel, and Turkey, Pheasant, Grouse, two kinds of Rabbits, Woodcock, Ducks and Geese with another Rem choked barrel....she still hunts regularly, sometimes with her "Gasser" as she calls it.
She is an adult now and usually uses one of a couple of 12 ga guns she owns and hunts Big Game mostly with high powered rifles of several calibers. (.308, .243, .338/06)
But I credit the 20ga 1100 with its lower recoil with her good shooting basics.......A scoped gun is very much easier to shoot accurately with but I think it might be accentuating the recoil, or at least seems to for a beginner....perception is reality for a newbe......IMO......Art

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Berudd:

some states require shotguns only for deer hunting and in those states, rifles are not an option. I'm guessing that is the OP's case.

And you made my point (at least one of them) - a pump will "kick a lot harder " or have more felt recoil than a gas operated semi-auto. Lizardbreath has it right in that regard.

That being said, my son started shooting my 30-.06 at 14 and by sixteen was shooting 12 gauge slugs in his Browning BPS and has taken several deer with it. I'm 6'-2", 210 pounds and in pretty good shape and have been shooting for over 40 years, and shoot pretty much whatever I want to. However; I won't shot 12 gauge slugs out of pumps that often from a bench rest without using a sled or some decent padding on the shoulder. I don't want to develop any type of flinch. That's why managed recoil loads are effective for general sighting in and practice.

Either 12 gauge slugs or 20's are easily shootable. I still recommend a gas operated semi with 20 gauge slugs for those that are younger or of slighter build.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Berudd:

some states require shotguns only for deer hunting and in those states, rifles are not an option. I'm guessing that is the OP's case.

True enough but he's in NC as am I and rifles are allowed. I guess there could be some local law prohibiting it but I know of none like that in my area. I am near Raleigh which is densely populated and based on his screen name he is in a less populated area so I'd be very surprised if he had to deal with more restrictive laws than I do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Berudd wrote:
True enough but he's in NC as am I and rifles are allowed. I guess there could be some local law prohibiting it but I know of none like that in my area. I am near Raleigh which is densely populated and based on his screen name he is in a less populated area so I'd be very surprised if he had to deal with more restrictive laws than I do.

Okay; But regardless what the legal situation is, and that the guy never mentions it....... The guy was asking about slugs inregards to his grand Daughters shooting them....that is what we've been answering about, Am I missing something here?......Art