CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Add on Rib
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I want to raise the height of the rib on one of my O/U trap guns
that is now fitted with an adjustable comb. The only reason for doing this is to achieve a better head position - more upright.
I will then set up the POI using the comb height. The height
I need is .380 in. Aftermarket add ones are not available here and to have a new rib made and fitted will be over $1400 so I am thinking of getting one from the US. Maybe Keen
Sights. Has anyone had any experience with this type of set up or can offer any advice. I am a little hesitant about the attachment method using silicon.
Barry :?

Post subject: Re: Add on Rib
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:43 pm 
Keensights will make a rib to your specifications.

I bought one from a company called EASYHIT that was a nice rib at a very low price ($27) but it is only available in !/4, 3/8,1/2 and 5/8" heights. Did you really mean .038 of an inch, or did you mean 3/8"?
Silicone cement works very well. It's what I used. The rib will never come loose, but if you decide to remove it, it is simple to do by simply slipping a sharp knife between the two ribs. It will cut the silicone, and you can remove all residue from the rib by peeling it off with your fingernail.
Double stick tape works well also.
The Easyhit and Keensights ribs are aluminum. You need to keep in mind that an aluminum rib will noticeably add weight to the barrel. That may or may not be desireable for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

dickgtax
Thanks for the info. The measurement was meant to read .380in
or 380 thou. - 3/8 would be OK as my trial rib was only .005
thicker. Was interested in your comment re the weight and the silicon. The extra barrel weight would probably OK as it would be spread over the full length of the barrel and if necessary I could add a little in the stock. I have made a preliminary enquiry with KeenSight and will investigate further.
Thanks again
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I suggest that you buy strips of balsa wood and layer them on your barrel with 2 sided tape untill you get the gun the way you really want it. Then make the measurements of the strips and send them to Vickie Keen at Keensights and have your rib made the exact way you want it.

I thought the Keensights ribs were made of Delrin--maybe wrong--AGAIN.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:44 am 
Keensights ribs are powder coated machined aluminum. I have installed several of them for customers and use one myself. The silicone adhesive supplied with the rib will definitely keep it in place until you are ready to remove it. Vicki Keen is a pleasure to deal with and has a top quality product.

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

txbt99 wrote:
Keensights ribs are powder coated machined aluminum. I have installed several of them for customers and use one myself. The silicone adhesive supplied with the rib will definitely keep it in place until you are ready to remove it. Vicki Keen is a pleasure to deal with and has a top quality product.

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

Thanks Ken
I would be interested to know if the ribs you have fitted
used a front bead only or had the full length groove with the
recessed fibre optic and if so what you think of it.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:10 pm 
Barry, I have installed both types. If you have an eye dominance problem, the tunnel and fiber optic set up is excellent. The "beaded" ribs are also very good if that's your preference.

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:28 am 
Presentation Grade

[quote="txbt99"]Barry, I have installed both types. If you have an eye dominance problem, the tunnel and fiber optic set up is excellent. The "beaded" ribs are also very good if that's your preference.

Thanks Ken,
The eye dominance does not worry me at 16yds as I point and shoot off the "end of the barrel" however at handicap and only when I get pretty tired my left eye (I shoot right handed) starts to play a few tricks. I will email Vicki Keen and see what the story is regarding the tapered rib on my Beretta ( 10 - 8mm) I would think they will make the new rib a constant 8mm.
I wish I was in your part of the world and I could just run out and have a monte carlo stock made as well. It does not happen like that in Aus.
Thanks again for the help
Barry :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:46 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Ken---now I know for sure

Post subject: re: Add on Rib
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:49 pm 
Field Grade

Here's what is probably a dumb question. How do you get the old rib off?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Most of the aftermarket ribs are add-ons----either screwed or attached by tape/epoxy to the current rib. Though, they can be fixed permanently.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:48 pm 
Field Grade

OH.....
Aren't internet forums great?
I have a lot to learn about shotguns and skeet shooting.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Most of the ribs are taped or glued on using gasket type glue. To remove them you simply use a piece of heavy fishing line and saw through the joint. The residue can be removed with solvent.

Another rib, one that I just put on a 391 Trap is a Keensite Aluminum rib. They machine the rib to your specifications for POI. It is finished in flat black. Mine also attaches at the front by use of a counter sunken screw using the front bead hole on the original rib. This gives it a bit more security (not really needed) and helps to keep the rib in line while you are gluing it down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hooligan wrote:
I want to raise the height of the rib on one of my O/U trap guns
that is now fitted with an adjustable comb. The only reason for doing this is to achieve a better head position - more upright.
I will then set up the POI using the comb height. The height
I need is .380 in. Aftermarket add ones are not available here and to have a new rib made and fitted will be over $1400 so I am thinking of getting one from the US. Maybe Keen
Sights. Has anyone had any experience with this type of set up or can offer any advice. I am a little hesitant about the attachment method using silicon.
Barry :?

mate - go on over to trapshooters.com and search for "add on rib". Scott from Hydeal has the product you need and he's real accomodating - i reckon he'll mail it to OZ no problem. he has add on ribs in 4 different sizes out to 32" in length.

OT
can't wait to see the poms get their a***s kicked this year!

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I notice a lot of talk about KEENSIGHT, how about telling me how to contact them, I am a 71 year old trap shooter and I have done just about everything possible to trap guns to make them shoot where I and associates want. so please let me hear a web site or phone no.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I think BRIDGEBURNER has hit on the right stuff to secure a add on rib. There is an automotive gasket sealant called HITACK, it comes in a small jar with a brush. You put a small amount on 2 pieces and then put togather and they will stay put. if you want to remove just soak in laquer thinner and they will come apart, and the laquer thinner will not harm bluing. Bruce, 71 yr old trap shooter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:55 am 
Crown Grade

www.keensights.com

The ribs are made in several different heights. They can also be tapered to change your POI. They come with installation instructions and adhesive. Simple to install. I have one. They are powder coated machined aluminum of high quality.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm a bit older than you, so I guess the experience counts.

http://keensights.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

The Keensight add on rib is awesome. Ken had me call Vicki and she helped me thru the process. At Ken's urging I installed the rib myself (you were right Ken, even I can do it :shock: ) piece of cake, just take your time and be patient.

RTA48