CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 12 Slide release button not working
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I just inherited my wifes late fathers Model 12. After i got to looking at the gun i noticed that when the bolt is locked in place the slide release button doesnt let me open the slide again. This is obviously a hinderance on the gun and i want to get it repaired but would like a little knowledge on what is going on so i dont walk into the shop with no knowledge, any help appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 12 Slide release button not working
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not an expert on the model 12 or any other firearm. when you push the release do you push the forearm assy forward until it clicks? sometimes i have too with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

rsr1950 is correct. The Win. M12 has an inertia release of the slide. When you fire the gun, recoil sends the gun backwards while your hand holding the forend tends to stay put. This has the effect of releasing the back pressure on the slide lock. If you are not firing the gun, pushing ahead on the forend accomplishes the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:17 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

As I read the O.P. statement, I see that he is stating that the release button does not function to allow him to open the bolt, not that he can't open the gun without firing, it seems.

If that is the case, the button (action slide lock) fitting is off and needs to be reworked in order to allow the bolt to be opened to unload an unfired shell, for instance.

I perform comprehensive rework of Model-12 mechanisms and recognize the issue as I have just had another Model-12 with the identical situation recently arrive. Nobody wants to have to fire a shell to open the gun, if it can helped.

A slide lock refit or replacement is not something that all 'smiths can do with familiarity, and I have had to repair botched "fixes" done by those that had no inkling of what the actual functioning part was designed to do.

Most times, the offending repair involves cutting away too much metal so that the button works freely, but the safety function as originally made to work from the factory has been disabled.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.