CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hodgdon Titewad in 20 ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:37 am 
Utility Grade

Has anyone tryed or have any idea if Titewad can be used in a 20 ga. I would like to cut back on the number of powders and also the price. By not having more then one on the shelf. This also keeps down mistakes in powder mixing. I am new to reloading and have been reading as much as I can find on shotshell reloading. The more I read the more confused I become. I have two reloaders one for 12 and one for 20 ga. I have fallen in love with skeet shooting and have a limited budget as most working class and shot 12 and 20 ga. So the problum is as I see it is to keep it simple and cheep.

Barry K.

Post subject: Re: Hodgdon Titewad in 20 ga
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:49 am 
Crown Grade

NO !!! NO !!! NO !!!

Titewad is a VERY fast powder, and should never, ever be considered for anything other than 12 ga target loads.

If you want to load 20's, something with a burn rate comparable to International Clays is the FASTEST powder you should consider, and that's for light target loads. For higher velocities or shot charges over 7/8 oz, you need to consider Universal Clays or Longshot.

If you want to keep it simple, use Clays for the 12 ga and Universal Clays for the 20; you'll have the greatest flexibility in terms of shot charge and velocity. Then you have only two powders.

You could get by with only one powder if you loaded everything with International Clays, but you'd sacrifice some flexibility in load choices. Go to Hodgdon's website, download the reloading data, and spend some time looking through the 12 and 20 gauge sections.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:07 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

You've just been given some excellent advice. Stay away from fast burning propellants in the 20 gauge. If you want to use up your Titewad and save a little money at the same time, go to 7/8 ounce shot charges in your 12 gauge.

You didn't mention what hull you're using, but a good 7/8 ounce 12 gauge target load in the Remington STS or Winchester AA hull is 17 grs. Titewad, WAA12L (gray) wad, Win. 209 or Remington STS primer. This load produces a little over 1200 fps and the pressures are down under 10,000 psi.

If you really want to use only one propellant for both gauges, Hodgdon's International or Universal are good candidates as is Alliant's Unique with 12 gauge 1-1/8 and 20 gauge 7/8 ounce shot charges. Unique for years has been the old "stand by" propellant for 20 gauge target loads; and while it takes a bit more propellant than the faster burners in the 12 gauge to make a 1200 fps load, it does allow for primer and wad versatility.

Surf out to http://www.alliantpowder.com/ and http://www.hodgdon.com/ and look at their on-line loading data. By the way, if it matters to you, Hodgdon's International and Universal are much cleaner burning than Unique, even though Alliant has cleaned Unique up considerably from the older Hercules formula.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barry K. wrote:
I am new to reloading and have been reading as much as I can find on shotshell reloading. The more I read the more confused I become.

You're confused because you're gathering information like a shotgun hits a target -- with a big, scattered pattern of pellets.

You need to simplify and organize your schooling.

Spend a mere $14.99 plus S/H from MidwayUSA and get this book, which you can click to go there:

That's the best starting place for a beginning shotshell reloader. It includes very thorough basics, color drawings and data on virtually all current shotshells and tons of load recipes. For its reloading basics, it uses the popular MEC loaders to illustrate the various steps in producing a reloaded shotshell.

Then click these links to each of the major powder manufacturer's websites and download their PDF load guides. And if they offer a printed version, order it. Add their Web addresses to your browser's bookmarks.

Accurate

Alliant (formerly Hercules)

Hodgdon

IMR

Winchester

Do all that and you'll have a logical running rifle shot at learning the reloading game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:34 pm 
Crown Grade

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th Edition was published in 1995. It is getting long in the tooth and does not have information on many of the current popular powders, wads, and hulls used today.

It is a good source of information about reloading shot shells, but I would not use it for recipe data. I would instead use the current recipes data from the various powder and wad manufacturers.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Winders is right on that!

I use Alliant Green Dot in both 20 and 12 with good results. Use it for 7/8 in 20 with Orange Duster wads and from 7/8 to 1-1/8 in 12 with Green and Blue Duster wads.

Here is a link to the data: http://www.dusterwads.com/html/alliant_data.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

winders wrote:
The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th Edition was published in 1995. It is getting long in the tooth and does not have information on many of the current popular powders, wads, and hulls used today.

It is a good source of information about reloading shot shells, but I would not use it for recipe data. I would instead use the current recipes data from the various powder and wad manufacturers.

Scott

Right, and I probably should have mentioned that -- but it's still the most comprehensive, single source for learning the basics and somewhat beyond of shotshell reloading and identifying most of the current hulls.

And that's what this new reloader needs.

It's also why I listed the powder manufacturers' websites and recommended getting their current data.

New hulls and powder notwithstanding, the data in the book is still valid for the hulls listed.

But I agree it's definitely time for a 5th Edition.

Heads up, Lyman.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree on buying the Lyman's Manual for learning the basics but look at the powder manufactures websites for reloading recipes.