CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lessons and Gun Fitting in Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

As some of you may know I am a new shooter and started to get the bug for clays. I think it is very important for me to take some lessons before I learn some bad habits. Also I have been reading about gun fitting and possibly the person I take lessons from might be able to help with that as well.

I am located near Baltimore, MD. Can anyone suggest or recommend a Instructer or a gun fitter? Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Lessons and Gun Fitting in Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Also if you know of any shops in Maryland that work with clay shooters? I know a few shops but most only do hunting or handguns and will admit they don't know much about clays.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:06 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If I were in Maryland, and looking for fitting and instruction, I would hunt down Bruce Ney, over in Delaware. Excellent instructor, and a good gunfitter. Bruce is a NSCA TEAM USA member, and has been instructing for years......I think he will do you a good job!

Will Fennell
Visit my new website!
http://www.willfennell.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't know about up near Pleasantville, but PG trap and skeet has instructors and visiting gunsmiths a few times a year I think? They have a very nice facility with trap, skeet and SC and are very reasonably priced. They probably don't have a gunfitter on site, but you can get a line on one there. Watch out for the guys working in the shop, they can be a bit opinionated and curmudgeon-ish, plus you have the regular assortment of part time kids who just run the register. You can always ask the regulars with the big $$ guns where they get their work done. Also, I've gotten several "free" lessons there just shooting with the regulars. Shot one day with an instructor who was enjoying a day off, and got many valuable tips. Wish I could remember his name, as I'd like to hire him for a lesson or 2 myself.
As a public range, it is beyond compare, and it's located right off the BW pkwy, take the 193 exit (heading south it'll be the last exit b4 495) and head north (left) to goodluck road, make a left on Goodluck and you're there. Their # is 301.577.7178.
Have fun and keep shooting!
-Boatbum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'll second the motion on PG. I've shot clays there a few times and I love it. Someone there must be able to help you, either directly or give you a reference.

And if you want to shoot clays there together, send me a private message and we'll make it happen! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:43 pm 
Utility Grade

PG is great, I shoot there all the time.
But, you might want to give Jack Bart a call, he is in Glen Burnie at Bart Sports. Jack is a very good teacher, shooter and a Master stock fitter. He knows all the games and knows the shotguns too. He can meet you for a lesson at PG or Loch Raven. Also teaches Sporting Clays on the Eastern Shore.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I also have had a lesson from Jack Bart. I wanted him to fit my new Citori XS Special to me before I started shooting with it. He suggested that I start with a lesson shooting skeet at PG. I found the lesson very good. Jack had me hitting over 80% of the targets my first time out. All Jack suggested that I do as far as fitting my shotgun was to have the length of pull increased about an inch. The lesson and the length of pull adjustment was much cheaper than going through a formal stock fitting process which Jack would be happy to do if you need it. If I had it to do over again I would do the same thing. If your shooting is off Jack will do what ever is necessary to get your gun to fit properly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

Dear River Hill,

I agree, Jack Bart is a great local resource. I would also consider Ben Wise at Pintail Point in Queenstown,MD. Ben is a NSCA Level II instructor and very competent. I live in River Hill also, drop me a note at jimagnew410@comcast.net I'd be happy to join you for a round of sporting clays at PG County or at Pintail Point.

Jim