CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reminton Model 11 with factory Poly Choke questions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 am 
Field Grade

I picked up a nice 20 gauge Remington Model 11 (vintage 1940) a a local gunshow with a factory poly choke on the barrel. The barrel flares out at the muzzle where the Poly Choke is installed and has a factory installed bead sight. There is no choke designation on the side of the barrel in the usual area where you would see it stamped. I have heard about these, but never saw one until today. The barrel is numbered to the gun and other than someones poor attempt to varnish the wood (which I will remove) it is all original. I only paid $275.00 for it so I figured it was a good buy. Are the factory polychokes really that rare? What do you think it would do for the value + or -?

Thanks, John

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=267825#ixzz1XezipAYS

Post subject: Re: Reminton Model 11 with factory Poly Choke questions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

I own a Remington 11 Sportsman 3 shot 12 ga made in 1936. I have 2 bbls- 1 original 26 in in fixed skeet choke , the other a Hastings 2- 26 in with I.C, L M, M, Imp M, & F choke tubes . The mod 11 is a dated but excellent recoil operated gun. To my knowledge Remington did not install your "factory poly choke" but it was probably added by an after market service or gunsmith. They are not rare on older bbls ( 40's & 50's). To a collector they would detract from the price of a good mod 11.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington offered the Poly-Choke as a factory option on The Sportsman and Models 11 and 31 from about 1939 or 40 on into the 11-48 and 870 years. The body of the device was machined integral with the barrel and the collet then screwed on --

I'd pay some extra for one of the Remington "factory" Poly-Chokes of that era, just to have an example of the wonderful machining they were doing in those years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am 
Field Grade

Thats exactly it! Thanks Researcher01.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 am 
Field Grade

And thank you researcher 01 also- I learned something also about Remington installing adjustable chokes-that's why this site is so valuable! I'm also glad your choke is a Remington installed choke, lafayettemx! Had it been a more prevalent after market choke such as a poly choke or Herters it WOULD have detracted from collector value ! Collectors, as we all know, love unaltered guns. As "Tony the Tiger" would say--- " Have a grrrrrrrreat time with your "new" Mod. 11 ! Aunt Bee, on the Chesapeake near USNA, Annapolis, Maryland.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm 
Field Grade

I wonder how many factory installed chokes have been hacked off thinking they were aftermarket installations?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm 
Field Grade

My guess is probably not many for that reason. Made sure you have your steel friction ring & brass friction piece adjusted correctly for high or low velocity shells. It is critical for proper ejection in a recoil operated gun. A new recoil spring is recommended by some.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm 
Field Grade

I wish I had a source for the original style square wire M11 recoil springs in 20 gauge. The A5 springs seem to be different.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 am 
Field Grade

I got a spare bolt (complete), spare trigger housing (complete),recoil springs new old stock (2), action spring, forearms(2), etc., etc. but all 12 ga. Almost all were found on gunbroker (shotgun parts). I'm sure 20 ga supply is much more limited but the stuff is out there if you search. Recoil springs for the 3 shot are a few coils shorter than the 5 shot. I've always wondered if that effects felt recoil.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow, nice find. About a year ago I found a great M11 20ga as well. Mine is a solid rib one that was full choke until some previous owner installed a Polychoke. Mine is a '34 vintage. I shot 1 round of skeet with it so far. My reloads worked great in it and I ran a 25 straight.

Sweet guns.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW I have a 28" 12 ga , no rib barrel for my Remington 31. It came from a local gun show, was, new and needed only be fitted to receiver. It made a nice addition to my Father's full choke barreled gun. It patterns well with a variety of target and field loads.

I have seen but one of these barrels and the work on the muzzle end of the barrel is excellent. It is the same device posted by Researcher.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. This gives moderate exercise to the body & it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun be your constant companion.
T. Jefferson (1785)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

lafayettemx wrote:
I wish I had a source for the original style square wire M11 recoil springs in 20 gauge. The A5 springs seem to be different.

The round wire springs are superior, so unless it is only meant to be a collectible and never intended to be shot the A5 springs are better.

Square wire springs are an idea that just does not work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:23 pm 
Limited Edition

The auto-5 uses the 16 ga spring. The Remington is a 20 gauge sized spring. Browning springs won't fit a 20 ga Remington Model 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 pm 
Field Grade

Try here for springs;

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=5642

15 items per page go to page 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
Remington offered the Poly-Choke as a factory option on The Sportsman and Models 11 and 31 from about 1939 or 40 on into the 11-48 and 870 years. The body of the device was machined integral with the barrel and the collet then screwed on --

I'd pay some extra for one of the Remington "factory" Poly-Chokes of that era, just to have an example of the wonderful machining they were doing in those years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Remington "The Sportsman" with the poly choke. Not sure if I want to sell, but does anyone have an idea of the value. CjBoutte@comcast.net. Thanks