CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best shotgun for deer hunting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:55 am 
Utility Grade

What is the best shotgun or which has worked best for you in each catagory (autoloader, pump, and slug) for deer hunting?

Post subject: Re: Best shotgun for deer hunting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

Absolutely no question which slug gun is #1 for deer hunting:

Ithaca Deerslayer (there are several models depending on whether you are mainly shooting from a stand or need a slightly lighter gun for still hunting, etc.)

Next I would say:

Browning BPS Rifled Deer w/cantilevered barrel
Savage Model 212 Bolt Action
Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge Hunter/Synthetic
Browning Silver Cantilevered Semi-Auto
Remington 870
Remington 11-87 Sportsman Synthetic Deer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:24 am 
Utility Grade

Are all of those models slug shotguns?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Yes. although I didn't spell it out on some like where I said "Remington 870", there is an 870 Express Slug version.

All of them I mentioned have rifled slub barrels. Some have cantilvered scope mounts, some have recievers drilled and tapped for scopes.

Here is the one I recommend:
http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer2.html

By the way, are you in Virginia?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 am 
Utility Grade

Yeah im in VA. Thanks for that info? Do you have as good advice for pump and auto :-)?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I was forced to hunt with slugs I'd go with the Savage. Basically a rifle that shoots slugs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Are you referring to strictly slugs or buckshot also? If you are looking for a good shotgun for buckshot, there are a ton. I prefer a semi-auto, but I've taken many deer with buckshot through an 870. It depends on what you prefer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking at both. In your opinion what is Is a good buck shot shotgun. Do you like mossberg, wincheste?r, browning

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:01 pm 

Getting a model to shoot both slugs and buck shot is a compromise at best. The best gun that I own for both would be a Benelli SBE with a 24" barrel and a SteadyGrip (pistol grip stock). I can use the various choke tubes for the buck or rifled slugs or get a rifled choke for sabot slugs. This gun will shoot the buck fine but, leaves a lot to desire for slugs.

For deer hunting with a shotgun, I prefer a bolt action shotgun with a fully rifled barrel and a scope. You can get the less expensive models like the Savage 210 or Mossberg 695. Mid price would be the Browning A-bolt with the Tar Hunt at the top of of the price range. I got a 695 because I could not find an A-bolt at the time. My 695 shoots better than some rifles I have seen with both the Hornady SST's and Remington Core Lokts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

What about strictly buckshot?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm 

Pretty much any gun for birdshot. A larger bore may end up producing better patterns and shorter barrel will be easier to carry through the woods or move in the brush.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

For birdshot?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

What about buckshot? What are some you the top recommended shotguns?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

The one you can get a deer with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 am 
Utility Grade

I understand that haha. But a lot of shotguns are made 4 waterfowl or something like that. What shotguns are made specifically for deer?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whether a shotgun is 'for deer' or not depends on how it delivers your chosen load. In other words, does the choke produce an effective pattern with your chosen buckshot, OR does the rifled barrel or rifled choke tube deliver accuracy with your chosen slug? As for the choice of semi-auto v. pump v. SxS v. O/U, it comes down to what you prefer. If you enjoy shooting a pump, and shoot it well, then it may be 'best' for you.

Long barrel or short also comes down to what you like and what suits your needs. I like long barrels (28" or 30") for buckshot hunting, and my rifled slug barrel is 22 inches. Others may have different preferences, and their preferences are 'best' for them.

To a large degree, designations such as Waterfowl Model are just marketing hype. If you shoot a deer with a shotgun that says Waterfowl on the receiver, the deer will never know that it was shot with a waterfowl model.

I would recommend that you read - a lot - in gun magazines and on manufacturers web sites, and compare guns by feature so that you can better decide your preferences. Also, handle and shoot as many different guns as possible. You will find that things like 'feel' come into play. Which gun is 'best' can only be decided by you. Have fun choosing your gun, and happy hunting!

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

Virginian:

based on what you are now asking about (using both slugs and buck shot) - again, it's a very clear choice for me. I would get an Ithaca M37 pump, Upland Combo, which gives you a vent rib smoothbore barrel with screw in chokes that you can use for any type of hunting as well as buckshot for deer, and of course follow-up shots which I'd want with buck shot. Plus you get one of the best rifled deer barrels in the industry, and a receiver that is tapped and drilled for scope mounts:
http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html
Quote:
"Rifled Barrel For Model 37 Uplands Combo Package

Ithaca Upland Combos come with all the features of the Upland Model 37, including your choice of 26”/28“/30” Barrel and a 24” Inch, 1:28 (12gauge), 1:24 (20gauge) Twist Rifled Barrel with Rifled Sights. This interchangeable barrel is a great package for all types of hunting. Available in 12 and 20 Gauge ."

Other choices would be to get a Browning Silver Hunter and then add a Rifled cantilevered barrel, or get a Browning Silver Hunter Rifled Deer Satin and later get a regular VR barrel with screw in chokes. (or same thing with a Browning BPS pump)
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=020B&cat_id=011&type_id=350&content=silver-hunter-firearms
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=020B&cat_id=011&type_id=371&content=silver-rifled-deer-satin-firearms

There are of course a myriad of other options and other gun manufacturer's to choose from. The ones above are my personal favorites and are rugged, proven guns that will last a lifetime. To me, the Ithaca combo would be hard to beat. And they are made right here in the USA (in Ohio) on some of the most modern equipment in the world, by a bunch of really skilled men and women.

Here in Ohio we have to use slugs for deer. I've even used my wood stocked, satin finish 26" Browning A-5 "National Wild Turkey Federation" model with an open choke screwed in and non-sabot slugs.
Imagine that- killing a deer with a "turkey gun". (which is actually one of my primary duck guns). That would really crush the spirits of all of those marketing guys at Remington who will tell you that you have to have camo and a crazy pistol grip stock, or a "Bone Collector" version.

My son has a 12 gauge BPS, and I bought him a Hastings rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount. He's killed every deer he's shot at with it, including several last year in Richmond, VA on one of the Army bases there, while he was in Richmond working as a co-op student.

But when I'm back home in West Virginia or Western/Southwestern Virginia- I put them up. Then I use my trusted Remington Model 700 BDL's or Browning bolt actions in .30-06 or .270.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 am 
Crown Grade

One thing I should have added - which is a key feature that will make any decent shotgun into one that is more suitable for deer hunting. Either buy one with studs/sling swivels or have your gunsmith put them on for you. Then get a quality sling.

On my A-5's and BPS I find this very handy not only for deer, but also walking in and out of the woods for turkey and ducks. When you have a bag of decoys and other gear to carry around, or just have to walk a long way in to your stand before legal shooting time, etc., a good sling is a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 am 
Utility Grade

That's alot of food info. Thank you guys so much. If anyone else has any input then I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:57 am 
Diamond Grade

+1 on the sling info that VTHokies added. A sling with a thick pad doubles as a great shooting rest in a stand also.

Regarding buckshot hunting for deer, there are many guns that will effectively take deer with buckshot. My choice gun for deer hunting is my Mossberg 935 turkey/waterfowl combo. The goal with a good buckshot gun is to have your pattern covering a pie plate (approx. 10") at 30 - 40 yards. My 935 with a 24" barrel and a full choke shooting 3.5" 00B loads accomplished this pattern very well. My 870 supermag also accomplished this pattern with a 26" barrel and a modified choke shooting 3" 00B loads. There are hundreds of combinations of guns to chokes to buckshot loads that will accomplish this goal. Shoot for this pattern and you can't go wrong with any gun.