CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1960s Browning 16 gauge - still "hunt" worthy?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't know much about this shotgun other than it was my Grandpa's "squirrel gun" in the 60s. Hasn't been fired in 20+ years (maybe 30+). My Dad had it re-blued MANY years ago and through years of neglect just sitting in a gun case the finish wore off a lot. I've cleaned it up, disassembled, re-oiled, and it seems in really great (tight) condition for it's age. I don't see any reason it wouldn't fire just fine and cycle shells.

Other than 16 gauge ammo being rather expensive...is there any reason why I couldn't hunt with it?

I love dove/quail hunting, but I've had to sell my personal collection of guns due to a divorce. This is the only gun I have left, and I would NEVER sell it. Not because it's some rare/valuable gun...but it's just the family connection I won't let go of for any price. I never knew my Grandpa and this is the only thing I have of his.

I assume it's a full choke barrel...but I'm not sure. Doesn't say on the barrel. When I did dove hunt I used a Browning Silver Hunter (God I loved that gun...really miss it) with a modified choke, so if this 16 gauge is "full" I have to admit...I'm worried I wouldn't hit a dang thing...haha!!

Your thoughts?

Browning A-5 (16ga)

Post subject: Re: 1960s Browning 16 gauge - still "hunt" worthy?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am 
Limited Edition

A Browning from the 60's is still new. Shoot it and enjoy iy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

A guy was shooting a very similar gun at the Clays range the other day. It didn't cycle reliably. But that's only because he hadn't cleaned or oiled it in his memory, and it was bone dry and dirty!

Your gun should be great! :)

Sorry about the divorce and having to sell off your guns. I'm sure things will get sorted out and on the way up, soon. Best wishes for your future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Full choke *

Improved Modified *-

Modified **

Improved Cylinder **-

Skeet **$

Cylinder ***
more info and instructions are available on Browning's website..........Like the man said that's a nearly a brand new gun.....Art

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah you got a shooter. I was in a similar situation to you . My brother inherited my Dads A 5 Light Twelve from the late fifties and I got his 63 Superposed. My brother is probably dove hunting over in Hondo outside of San Antonio with it as I write this. I shoot 5 stand and some skeet with my superposed.Of course you probably know the only thing you shouldn't do is shoot steel shot through that barrel. Of course you could do what a lot have done with those guns including my Dad and that is put a Poly choke on it. It seems like those are the only guns that seem to look right with a Poly Choke on them .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Take that old girl out and enjoy it. You can find shells at most any Walmart for just a little more than 12 or 20 ga.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd steer clear of steel shot, but with lead and the softer non-tox options, you should be fine as long as the gun is in decent shape. If you aren't sure about that, take it to a qualified gunsmith and spend a couple of bucks on a good once-over.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

A 60's A5 is barely broken in. I don't even think I've got one that new.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Cool - thanks for the replies. Jaspo...most of my dove hunting in the last few years has been near Hondo. I had a lease out there for years, but now a friend has a ranch in Knippa so we've hunted out there a lot.

I'm gonna get it checked out and go burn some feathers!!

Browning A-5 (16ga)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I assume you have an auto 5. Great old gun. I have one myself in 16 ga. The only problem is 16 ga ammunition isn't as plentiful and common as 12 ga and 20 ga, but you should be able to find it without a great deal of effort.. Secondly, make sure that the friction ring arrangement on the magazine tube is set up correctly for the type of ammunition that you are going to use. Then go have fun with it.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KSims1868,

If you have any reservations about that A-5 16 Gauge shotgun, send it to me. I will go through it and use it for a year or so, just to make sure it is in tip top shape. :oops:

Seriously, they are well built shotguns, shoot it and have fun!!!

A guy once told me....
It ain't that you're wrong kid, it's your delivery that needs some work!!
I'm workin' on it, but don't expect miracles....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agreed with everyone, mine is a 1954 model, and still the best shooting gun I have. The best place I have found for ammo is Bass Pro, $6.97 a box for light loads, I reload all others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A lot of people will tell you that intertia operated shotguns are old outdated technology and the only way to go is with modern gas operated shotguns. Don't listen to them. Your A-5 is just fine and it will keep shooting long after those new gas operted guns have gunked up from residue. Go out and have fun with it.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Browning A5 shotgun is the best semi-auto shotgun in history. I don't know what's about the modern A5 versions, whiche were on market till 1998, but no doubt, the conception of A5 modell is the best ever created.
...and as Casonet said, like him, I don't buy a new (nowadays gas operated semi-auto).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:13 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I am 66 and I still hunt my Grandfather's 1927 12ga A5 at least once a year, just for the memories. It was disassembled once by my gunsmith and fully cleaned inside. I think that was about 1979. Shoot the gun and give it to your grand kids for their children.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never had an A5 but I remember admiring them back in the late 60s and early 70's. Couldn't afford one at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
A lot of people will tell you that intertia operated shotguns are old outdated technology and the only way to go is with modern gas operated shotguns. Don't listen to them. Your A-5 is just fine and it will keep shooting long after those new gas operted guns have gunked up from residue. Go out and have fun with it.

Long recoil and "inertia operated" shotguns are too diffrent things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
Limited Edition

If its in good or better condition and since its Browning it should be safe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 am 
Crown Grade

I shot a light 12,browning for 23-years,they are hard to kill.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

Great "vintage" shotgun in a classic gauge. Enjoy it. Check the posts in the Browning forum regarding the settings for the friction rings.