CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg O/U
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:45 am 
Field Grade

I am thinking of buying the Mossberg Sporting Shotgun 12GA O/U #75418.

I understand it has a tang safety, but does it have barrel selective switch on the tang?

Does it have a shell Ejectors or do you have to pull the shells manually?

Any reliability problems?

I have read some of the threads.

Please add your opinions as well.

Thanks

John

Post subject: Mossberg O/U
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tremendous problems with reliability. I'd suggest you consider a better gun. If that price point is your budget, there are lots of great pumps and autos that you will be happier with in the long run.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg O/U
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I keep waiting for someone to have something good to say about Mossberg O/U's. Haven't heard anything good yet.

I agree with Doc, there are lots of good-quality guns out there for the price you'll pay for a Mossberg. Take your time, read the reviews, and buy yourself a good gun.

If you are bound and determined to buy an O/U, take a look at Yildiz and Lanber. They go about the same price as Mossberg, but enjoy pretty good reputations as recreational-use O/U's.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 am 
Field Grade

I have used Mossbergs for close to 40 years, if you buy Mossberg stay with the 500 or 930. JMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi 55

The Silver Reseve O/U that I looked at did not have ejectors, it had extractors.

As far as quality, I have only heard similar reports of what everyone else has already said here.

I have 2 Yildiz O/U's that GrizzlyAlan spoke of, and they have turned out to be great guns. I have also heard good reports about the Lanber.

Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:46 pm 
Field Grade

The reliability of the Silver Reserves has gotten much better. That being said, there is a reason it is half the price(or less) of most O/U's. It will never be a high volume target gun, but would probably serve many years as a hunting or occasional clays gun. I own one in 28 gauge that I use for Grouse. It fits me great, and I don't worry about a few scratches when dragging it through the brush.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up a used SR 20ga to see if I wanted to shoot (after 37 years off) & the price was right and I wanted and O/U. It is an early model and after two yrs the top pin broke - Mossberg had new pins in my mailbox after one ph call and and five days.
Cost me $35 to have a local Gunsmith replace them.
It did have a heavy trigger (something I would have never known had I not picked up a pair of Brownings) .... but like Rule 303 said... I don't worry about this gun... I drag it through the bush chasing grouse.
You usually get what you pay for ... but this gun did all it had to get get me excitied about shooting/ hunting again. Extractors, not ejectors (simple is good sometimes).