CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning/degreasing a new gun
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a couple of weeks ago a Beretta a400, getting my permits and such (we do need them here in Venezuela) Ive got to wait until I do to go pick it up, hopefully sometime this week.

Anyway, reading a bit I've found that I need to clean/degrease and relube the new gun before using it. If this is correct, what would be the correct way to do it? what I should look for, anything specific?

Also, why is this needed? I've never owned a new gun myself.. so that's why im asking

Thanks for any reply

Luis Ugueto

Post subject: Re: Cleaning/degreasing a new gun
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lugueto wrote:
Also, why is this needed? I've never owned a new gun myself.. so that's why im asking

Guns are often shipped with the internals covered with grease(or a similar coating) designed to prevent rust. It is usually not a great lubricant. It can be sticky enough to prevent proper function.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As NHrural said, new guns often come with a heavy coating of rust preventative on them. This can be quite sticky and can interfer with the proper functioning of the guns unless it is cleaned off.

Use a good solvent such as kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean the metal parts. Then lubricate with a gun oil. I like Breakfree CLP. Good luck with your new gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for your replies!!

In an autoloader, should I completely dissasemble it and give it a good cleaning or just the basic parts??

What sort of lubricant would you guys recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Your new gun will probably come with a small bottle of Beretta lube oil, and that would be good to get you started. If always used in a warm climate you may not ever need to switch to anything else.

Here in the US there are many popular lubricants, Remoil, Breakfree CLP, Miltec-1, G96 synthetic, and the list goes on and on. I personally have tried only a couple and have been using the Breakfree CLP with good results so I have not gone on to try any others.
I think you can even use the Breakfree to clean off any packaging grease commonly called cosmoline (though cosmoline is a old military packing grease) even though it's something more modern.

Good luck with your new gun.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 am 
Crown Grade

My surplus SKS came packed in cosmoline stock and all. Took days white gas and warmth to get if fully functioning and safe to fire. My new Berettas came with a light coating of something. Being impatient at the time I shot a semi and a O/U without ill effects just dripped Breakfree CLP in appropriate places and small amounts. Did do a thorough cleaning and lubrication later. Not recommending a procedure based on two guns of one brand. Your gun may not run if you try this at home.

http://weightychoice.com/
http://www.androideveryday.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am 
Field Grade

Ok, so a thorough degrease and relube will be in order!

Thank you for your replies!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would suggest that you remove the trigger assembly and the bolt assembly so that you can thoroughly soak them in solvent. You will need to know how to do this eventually in order to keep the gun cleaned and well maintained.

If you don't want to remove the trigger assembly and the bolt assembly at this time, at least put as much solvent on each one and let it soak in and drain dry before using the gun. Then lubricate with your gun oil before using.

Good luck and enjoy. :D